Jump to content
Severe Nano Noob

New to the salty side!!

Recommended Posts

Severe Nano Noob

Hello, Im looking for some guidance.

Im new to reefing, Im wanting to convert my aqua nano 40 to reef tank (used to be freshwater). Where do I start?

I have done some research and emptied all chambers of filters etc. Purchased carbon, purigen, phosguard and filter floss. 

 

Whats the best way to arrange in the back?

 

After this am I ready for L rock, sand and salt water(ready made from shop)? 

 

I already have testing kit ready do I need anything else while its cycling? 

 

Ive been advised when I get to that stage to addartm colony, wait 1 week then add 2 clowns? 

 

Im getting fluval nano led and wave maker in the coming weeks as will want corals eventually when tank ready. (Am I ringht by thinking I dont need these until I get corals?

 

Thanks all in advance 😊 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

While cycling, you may want just filter floss. The chemical filtration will pretty much prevent you from being to tell what’s going on with the tank during cycling. 
yes, you need live rock and sand and saltwater to cycle the tank. 
not sure which “colony” you’re referring to in the second-to-last paragraph

yes, light and wave maker can wait a little longer as long as you get enough movement just from your return pump during cycling. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
rough eye

i mix my own saltwater and always have. currently using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. This way I know parameters are not likely to change. what size tank is it?

 

Don't go by a set schedule. Let the tests determine when the tank is ready for livestock. What size tank is it? I added first fish after a month and a 2nd fish a month later. 

 

I've never used phosgard or Purigen. again, let testing determine if these are needed. You might cause problems by using them if they're not needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Severe Nano Noob

Ok that makes sense. I was just recommended to buy them as the shop seemed certain I would need them at some point. 

So just filter floss while cycling, got it. 

 

The tank is 55l 

 

What should I be testing for?

what should they be?

And how often should I test while cycling?

 

Im not wanting to rush. I want to learn and get it right.

Im going off advice from my local shop. The product was ATM colony that aparently sppeds up the cycling process and fish can be added immediately? I was not expecting to get fish but the shop said it would help? 

Thanks again 

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79
48 minutes ago, Severe Nano Noob said:

Ok that makes sense. I was just recommended to buy them as the shop seemed certain I would need them at some point. 

So just filter floss while cycling, got it. 

 

The tank is 55l 

 

What should I be testing for?

what should they be?

And how often should I test while cycling?

 

Im not wanting to rush. I want to learn and get it right.

Im going off advice from my local shop. The product was ATM colony that aparently sppeds up the cycling process and fish can be added immediately? I was not expecting to get fish but the shop said it would help? 

Thanks again 

The first thing I would suggest is doing a ton of research, we can help but researching and having an understanding is very important or else you are left struggling.

 

Don't rely on the lfs advice.

 

Purigen ans phosguard are used as needed as they both can strip nutrients from your tank quickly and you need nutrients.

 

There are a lot of sticky threads on here that are full of educational info in the beginner section

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
rough eye
4 hours ago, Severe Nano Noob said:

Im going off advice from my local shop. The product was ATM colony that aparently sppeds up the cycling process and fish can be added immediately? I was not expecting to get fish but the shop said it would help? 

Thanks again 

if you get good, wet live rock that has stuff living on it you won't need any bottled bacteria and you'll have a much better ecosystem. a lot of people want a totally controlled, sterile environment to start from and then used bottled stuff to control exactly what gets into the tank, but this has been proven not to be what makes animals happy and healthy. when you use something that's more or less raw and out of the ocean you get a multitude of organisms that create a much better balance in the long run.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Severe Nano Noob
10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The first thing I would suggest is doing a ton of research, we can help but researching and having an understanding is very important or else you are left struggling.

 

Don't rely on the lfs advice.

 

Purigen ans phosguard are used as needed as they both can strip nutrients from your tank quickly and you need nutrients.

 

There are a lot of sticky threads on here that are full of educational info in the beginner section

 

 

Thanks, I have checked out alot of the sections on here. They are very informative 👍🏼 

Share this post


Link to post
MortalWombat

Hello and welcome! I find it's helpful to have at least 1 or 2 "goals" when starting any tank. It sounds like you are interested in keeping a pair of clownfish, if that is the case keeping them happy and healthy will be the main focus of the tank. That most likely means getting them to host an anemone or a coral with tentacles. In a tank of this size, two clowns will put a significant strain on the bio-filter, so good husbandry will be very important to avoid algae outbreaks and mortalities. Anemones come with their own set of risks when it comes to keeping them in a nano tank (getting blenderized by powerheads and killing corals). 

 

My best advice is to take everything slow and space it out into as many stages as possible. The first phase is scaping and sourcing your hard materials (sand and rock). Take your time as this will have a big impact on the final result. The next phase is cycling and building up the cleanup crew. Buying copepods and snails will get things going. Dosing beneficial bacteria like Dr. Tim's is a surefire way to get the nitrogen cycle rolling. Eventually coralline algae, small filter feeding organisms like sponges and your corals themselves will each play a role in nutrient processing and uptake, and you will have a functioning, living reef! 

 

Be careful using GFO in a small tank or other phosphate reducing media, you can cause imbalances and quickly starve photosynthetic organisms. Activated carbon is very helpful but does not actually remove nutrients. Water changes are your best friend for dealing with nutrients in a tank like this. If you are hesitant about keeping up with regular changes, maybe consider keeping smaller fish in this tank like a damsel or a small goby in lieu of the clowns, which actually can grow relatively large. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Joe_falahad
On 10/16/2021 at 1:54 AM, Severe Nano Noob said:

Hello, Im looking for some guidance.

Im new to reefing, Im wanting to convert my aqua nano 40 to reef tank (used to be freshwater). Where do I start?

I have done some research and emptied all chambers of filters etc. Purchased carbon, purigen, 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 phosguard and filter floss. 

 

Whats the best way to arrange in the back?

 

After this am I ready for L rock, sand and salt water(ready made from shop)? 

 

I already have testing kit ready do I need anything else while its cycling? 

 

Ive been advised when I get to that stage to addartm colony, wait 1 week then add 2 clowns? 

 

Im getting fluval nano led and wave maker in the coming weeks as will want corals eventually when tank ready. (Am I ringht by thinking I dont need these until I get corals?

 

Thanks all in advance 😊 

with time and knowledge you get every day , you can do it it's not that hard

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Severe Nano Noob
On 10/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, MortalWombat said:

Hello and welcome! I find it's helpful to have at least 1 or 2 "goals" when starting any tank. It sounds like you are interested in keeping a pair of clownfish, if that is the case keeping them happy and healthy will be the main focus of the tank. That most likely means getting them to host an anemone or a coral with tentacles. In a tank of this size, two clowns will put a significant strain on the bio-filter, so good husbandry will be very important to avoid algae outbreaks and mortalities. Anemones come with their own set of risks when it comes to keeping them in a nano tank (getting blenderized by powerheads and killing corals). 

 

My best advice is to take everything slow and space it out into as many stages as possible. The first phase is scaping and sourcing your hard materials (sand and rock). Take your time as this will have a big impact on the final result. The next phase is cycling and building up the cleanup crew. Buying copepods and snails will get things going. Dosing beneficial bacteria like Dr. Tim's is a surefire way to get the nitrogen cycle rolling. Eventually coralline algae, small filter feeding organisms like sponges and your corals themselves will each play a role in nutrient processing and uptake, and you will have a functioning, living reef! 

 

Be careful using GFO in a small tank or other phosphate reducing media, you can cause imbalances and quickly starve photosynthetic organisms. Activated carbon is very helpful but does not actually remove nutrients. Water changes are your best friend for dealing with nutrients in a tank like this. If you are hesitant about keeping up with regular changes, maybe consider keeping smaller fish in this tank like a damsel or a small goby in lieu of the clowns, which actually can grow relatively large. 

 

 

Thank you for this info. I have took the plunge and the journey has begun today. I hope the image comes through.

5kg live rock

Sand

Water

And a boat load of patience (willing to provide when the tank clears so I can nosey) 

20211019_182500.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Severe Nano Noob

Its more keeping corals that I am interested in than fish but I understand that they will be beneficial to my tank and corals. If you can recommend 2 others that will be just as good I can research them. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
MortalWombat
Just now, Severe Nano Noob said:

Its more keeping corals that I am interested in than fish but I understand that they will be beneficial to my tank and corals. If you can recommend 2 others that will be just as good I can research them. Thanks

Damsels (be careful for nipping and aggression towards inverts), gobies and blennies (except mandarin goby), dottybacks and cardinals. Try to buy aquacultured or farm raised where possible, as collecting is taking a toll on wild populations of fish and coral. Clowns are popular beginner choices, and if you start with a young pair and are really committed to their care they should do great in a tank like this for years to come. As I'm sure you are aware a lid is also essential to keep fish in your tank long term. They will all jump eventually given long enough! 

 

I myself am more attracted to the coral side as well. Soft corals are a great starting point for a tank like this. Mushrooms, zoas, leather corals etc. are mostly very tolerant of the conditions inside nano tanks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Clown79

A clown pair can be very rewarding. The relationship is really interesting.

 

Or you could go with a small blenny and a open swimmer.

 

How many gallons is the tank?

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

15 gallons is a great size for a clown pair. You do not have to have an anemone. They don’t always host it, may pick a different coral or a power head. A goby shrimp pair are great. You could still add another small fish if you wanted. Any way if your main focus is coral. Remember anemone’s can take a walk about and that is risky for all your corals.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...