inTank Media Baskets

I'm Back!?

hooligan_78

Well I done went and did it. After YEARS being out of the hobby, I just ordered a Fluval Sea Evo 13.5 and the trimmings.  I still need some of the basics, RO/DI system, salt, and a bunch of other stuff. I'd forgotten how much the peripherals nickel and dime you. I'll have pics of the build once I start getting it all set up.

*Edit* 

So current equipment:

Tunze 1073.008 Return Pump

Innovative Marine Desktop Wavelink

Heater Fluval 50 Watt

InTank 2nd Chamber Media Basket

Fluval PS2 Skimmer 1st Chamber - Not running yet.

Current USA Dual Ramp Timer 

Main Lighting that comes with Unit

50/50 12" Reef Brite LED

Actinic 12" Reef Brite LED

FTS as of 10/27/2021

5AD56647-CAAC-42AB-B8C1-B32CE842306A.jpeg

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i still don't have a RODI system. for the few gallons a month i need it's not worth the investment.

Yeah if I only had one tank I’d just do distilled, personally… or Imagitarium or NutriSeawater. 

I have the same tank and have a RODI system, i dont use it a lot BUT knowing i can do an emergancy water change anytime that i need it without having to store multiple gallons in my tiny cottage is great for my peace of mind

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I have the same tank and have a RODI system, i dont use it a lot BUT knowing i can do an emergancy water change anytime that i need it without having to store multiple gallons in my tiny cottage is great for my peace of mind

Exactly. Living where I do, I don't drive so getting around is a major pain in the ass. And I'm not trying to schlep gallons of water or spend $50 for an Uber ride. And aquarium shops aren't always open. Having access to water at all times makes a huge difference. After I got my first RO/DI system, I'll never reef without one again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

Welcome back! I think you may find that everything now costs a lot more nickels and dimes!

While not reefing a few years, I've been acutely aware of things doing trade shows for Reef Nutrition, but holy crap, the livestock prices seem out of control these days. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hooligan_78 said:

While not reefing a few years, I've been acutely aware of things doing trade shows for Reef Nutrition, but holy crap, the livestock prices seem out of control these days. 

I hate to say it because I'm usually 100% about supporting local businesses, but if you're looking to get things done reasonably stay out of stores and hunt down locals on facebook, R2R, NR, that kind of thing. To be fair it's not really the fault of the brick-and-mortar stores, importers, transhippers, collectors, online marketplaces making up names and drumming up hype for cash all play a bigger part...

Hobbyists out there are still giving away half colonies with freebies for $20 just to get some space and see someone else geek out for a bit, and you can still buy a used tank and just throw LED Par bulbs over it, there's just allot more noise now.

• Like 1
On 10/15/2021 at 4:52 PM, A.m.P said:

I hate to say it because I'm usually 100% about supporting local businesses, but if you're looking to get things done reasonably stay out of stores and hunt down locals on facebook, R2R, NR, that kind of thing. To be fair it's not really the fault of the brick-and-mortar stores, importers, transhippers, collectors, online marketplaces making up names and drumming up hype for cash all play a bigger part...

Hobbyists out there are still giving away half colonies with freebies for $20 just to get some space and see someone else geek out for a bit, and you can still buy a used tank and just throw LED Par bulbs over it, there's just allot more noise now.

I was referring to the online prices, holy hell. I was just in the LFS here that I worked in, fish prices seemed okay. Corals were higher than I remember.

• Like 1

Anyhoo, got some goodies in. 
The tank setup, refractometer, skimmer, and some small dry goods. On Saturday, I stopped by my LFS and grabbed some rock, sand, and some other necessities. Still need, salt, buckets, top off, heater, etc…

041CB97F-D61D-45C7-8999-927CE4E8898B.jpeg

2C4F0B8B-49DB-418F-9745-08166F0032C3.jpeg

• Like 3

Alright, salt mix ordered, Aqua Craft. I also just placed an order from BRS for the ATO, RO/DI system, and some general maintenance items. With any luck all items will be here by Saturday at the latest. Hoping to get her wet this weekend.

• Like 1

Let there be light? I couldn’t resist. I def gonna add lighting to the hood, as the light it has is all controlled on one channel.

A347469D-913E-464B-A325-900CC52CD21A.jpeg

4E3AB321-144F-4D4E-A64D-D81660EE722A.jpeg

• Like 1

Alright, so already I'm thinking of adding the Reef Brite 12" 50/50 and 12" Actinic coupled with a Dual Pro Ramp timer. I want more lighting, and control. My power strip has wireless on/off, so I could just set the main lights on the timer and control the strips via the Dual Pro. Thoughts?

Just now, A.m.P said:

Might want to add some cooling to the hood as well, or drill some holes in the back, otherwise I'm sure supplementing the stock hood is a solid idea.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Current has the small Orbit with timer and wave pump for $150, which is a solid deal, but the strip is like 2 inches longer that the pre cut slot for the existing light, so I'm thinking the small strips are the way to go. I may Dremel slots for them place them on top of the hood for heat exchange. Still trying to decide.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Now that you purchased all these items. What do you think about the changes in equipment?

Not sure I follow. How do you mean?

Rockscape. I think I’m happy with it.

0AFF7BC3-54F9-4E50-9690-F1F3927D52EC.jpeg

09F28AB7-4E9C-4CAE-8968-DD8BE98CD47B.jpeg

And I just ordered a Current USA Dual Pro and a couple LED strips from BRS. I got a 50/50 and full actinic, each one is 12". I'm hoping the Dual Pro will work, don't see why not, but if not, I'll figure something else. It's only money right? haha

12 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I just wondered while shopping and or buying have there been noticeable changes in things like lighting or pumps since you were gone.

Ah, I haven't been gone gone. While not owning a tank for a few years, I'm still around the hobby. We're not talking decades or anything. lol. I still do local tradeshows with Reef Nutrition. So no, I don't think there's anything that stands out as being crazy.