ReefCleaners.org

Pods in newer tank

Tamale

Another reefer recommended adding pods to the tank after it is cycled before fish. Is this something that could be beneficial in the grand scheme? I don’t see having an established pod community as a bad thing from what I’ve read. Beneficial biodiversity is, well, beneficial after all. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

Its not bad,but given time you will eventually have an explosion of pods pop up. Give it time. 

At about 2 months in my last tank,I had so many pods pop up it was INSANE. Then I added phyto for them to feed on and get healthy to produce more. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

Its not bad,but given time you will eventually have an explosion of pods pop up. Give it time. 

At about 2 months in my last tank,I had so many pods pop up it was INSANE. Then I added phyto for them to feed on and get healthy to produce more. 

I’ve seen that said too which is one reason I wanted to ask before I spend the money! I definitely see the merit of having a really nice community of phyto and pods! 

I’m not using live rock but am using live sand. How do you think the pods will be introduced naturally?

I didn't use live rock,but cycled with Brightwell QuikCycle and MB7 with dry base rock. Cycled for almost 2 months,then came home one days and BOOM pods EVERYWHERE. Then I added a jar of pods and phyto from AlgaeBarn they exploded even more. 

Kept the tank really clean,as they are supposed to do. 

That’s awesome! I used Dr. Tim’s but who knows. This hobby is so cool how things like that can just happen. I’ve heard they are great for cleaning the sand bed. 

6 minutes ago, WormLicker said:

I had pods very early (probably from my live rock) but I added a culture of tisbee anyways. Biodiversity is good!

I’m all about it! Do you feed them phyto too or do they manage on their own in your tank?

1 hour ago, Tamale said:

I’m all about it! Do you feed them phyto too or do they manage on their own in your tank?

I feed frozen "coral cuisine" every few couple of days, seems to keep them happy !