Jump to content
MSunkin23

GFO in media bag?

Recommended Posts

MSunkin23

Hi,


Is anyone running GFO in a media bag? If so, what kind (Brand / Granular)?

 

Also curious if those who do mix with carbon?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia

Not on its own, but I use Chemipure Elite, which includes GFO

Share this post


Link to post
MSunkin23

Hey Banasophia,

 

Thanks thats what I use too. Wanted to see if i can make my own. BRS recommends a reactor, but i feel like I can get away with GFO in a bag. Some places say it will cake up and clog, but not sure. May try it out and let you know.

 

M

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
12 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hey Banasophia,

 

Thanks thats what I use too. Wanted to see if i can make my own. BRS recommends a reactor, but i feel like I can get away with GFO in a bag. Some places say it will cake up and clog, but not sure. May try it out and let you know.

 

M

Yeah keep me posted, I’d love to hear how it works, though I won a huge box of Chemipure Elite as a MACNA raffle prize so I’m probably good for a while. Want some? I’m sure I have extra!!

Share this post


Link to post
Jaren45
8 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hey Banasophia,

 

Thanks thats what I use too. Wanted to see if i can make my own. BRS recommends a reactor, but i feel like I can get away with GFO in a bag. Some places say it will cake up and clog, but not sure. May try it out and let you know.

 

M

I used to mix purigen, carbon, and gfo in a 1:1:.5 ratio in a bag, not sure how different this is from chemipure but it worked well

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
A.m.P

I throw a little phosguard in with the carbon I run through rubber-banded double-layered mosquito netting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
MSunkin23
20 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah keep me posted, I’d love to hear how it works, though I won a huge box of Chemipure Elite as a MACNA raffle prize so I’m probably good for a while. Want some? I’m sure I have extra!!

I caved and bought some chemi-pure elite. I am running separate carbon so may take AMPs advice and sprinkle some phosguard in there. 
 

Bana I still need to take you up on that gorgonion offer if you still have frags.

 

M

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
27 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

I caved and bought some chemi-pure elite. I am running separate carbon so may take AMPs advice and sprinkle some phosguard in there. 
 

Bana I still need to take you up on that gorgonion offer if you still have frags.

 

M

Sure, I can cut you some branches anytime… gorgonians are the easiest thing to frag, you just trim off a branch, use your fingernails to strip the tissue off the skeleton at the base, and stick it in a glob of superglue. I guess I could make that sound more technical haha, but it is that easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
9 hours ago, A.m.P said:

I throw a little phosguard in with the carbon I run through rubber-banded double-layered mosquito netting.

I thought phosguard was one you have to replace like every two days? Am I mixing it up with something else? 

Share this post


Link to post
MSunkin23

Hey Bana,

 

Cool, will ping you on that. From my chemistry understanding the Phosguard media will reach capacity in 4 days in high phosphate load and should be replaced. But if used as phosphate stabilizer I think SeaChem recommends keeping it in until phosphates rise again. Im not testing phosphates, i just watch for algae starting to spark, and I will use that as an indicator.

 

Hey, I will give it a shot, plan is to leave the carbon/phosguard mix in for 2-4 weeks at a time. Lets see!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...