Pod Your Reef

GFO in media bag?

MSunkin23

Hey Banasophia,

Thanks thats what I use too. Wanted to see if i can make my own. BRS recommends a reactor, but i feel like I can get away with GFO in a bag. Some places say it will cake up and clog, but not sure. May try it out and let you know.

M

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hey Banasophia,

Thanks thats what I use too. Wanted to see if i can make my own. BRS recommends a reactor, but i feel like I can get away with GFO in a bag. Some places say it will cake up and clog, but not sure. May try it out and let you know.

M

Yeah keep me posted, I’d love to hear how it works, though I won a huge box of Chemipure Elite as a MACNA raffle prize so I’m probably good for a while. Want some? I’m sure I have extra!!

8 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

Hey Banasophia,

M

I used to mix purigen, carbon, and gfo in a 1:1:.5 ratio in a bag, not sure how different this is from chemipure but it worked well

• Like 2
20 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah keep me posted, I’d love to hear how it works, though I won a huge box of Chemipure Elite as a MACNA raffle prize so I’m probably good for a while. Want some? I’m sure I have extra!!

I caved and bought some chemi-pure elite. I am running separate carbon so may take AMPs advice and sprinkle some phosguard in there. 

Bana I still need to take you up on that gorgonion offer if you still have frags.

M

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, MSunkin23 said:

I caved and bought some chemi-pure elite. I am running separate carbon so may take AMPs advice and sprinkle some phosguard in there. 

Bana I still need to take you up on that gorgonion offer if you still have frags.

M

Sure, I can cut you some branches anytime… gorgonians are the easiest thing to frag, you just trim off a branch, use your fingernails to strip the tissue off the skeleton at the base, and stick it in a glob of superglue. I guess I could make that sound more technical haha, but it is that easy. 

9 hours ago, A.m.P said:

I throw a little phosguard in with the carbon I run through rubber-banded double-layered mosquito netting.

I thought phosguard was one you have to replace like every two days? Am I mixing it up with something else? 

Hey Bana,

Cool, will ping you on that. From my chemistry understanding the Phosguard media will reach capacity in 4 days in high phosphate load and should be replaced. But if used as phosphate stabilizer I think SeaChem recommends keeping it in until phosphates rise again. Im not testing phosphates, i just watch for algae starting to spark, and I will use that as an indicator.

Hey, I will give it a shot, plan is to leave the carbon/phosguard mix in for 2-4 weeks at a time. Lets see!

• Like 2