inTank Media Baskets

Green Bubble Tip Anemone--- Dying?

veiledfox

pH: 8.1

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0.125 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

40 gallon tank has been cycling for a few weeks. Added a pair of percula clownfish and green bubble tip anemone. Anemone was looking great and open the other day, last night it started to close. I'm worried it might be dying. It looks like it's starting to open again this morning, but I'm still a bit concerned. I would love to hear any and all opinions. I'm new to the saltwater hobby, so I'm open to suggestions as well. Thank you in advance!

20211012_090804.jpg

Edited by veiledfox
Added tags
47 minutes ago, veiledfox said:

pH: 8.1

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0.125 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

40 gallon tank has been cycling for a few weeks. Added a pair of percula clownfish and green bubble tip anemone. Anemone was looking great and open the other day, last night it started to close. I'm worried it might be dying. It looks like it's starting to open again this morning, but I'm still a bit concerned. I would love to hear any and all opinions. I'm new to the saltwater hobby, so I'm open to suggestions as well. Thank you in advance!

20211012_090804.jpg

Welcome to nano-reef!  This is great place learn and grow in the hobby.  

Generally speaking, anemone should only be added to mature tanks.  Your tank is showing nitrite, zero ammonia, and no nitrates.  I suspect your cycle is not done which is no bueno... how did you cycle your tank?  If it is cycled, then the other issue is your tank most likely lacks maturity.  BTA are a hardier anemone, but they definitely are not for someone completely new to reefing in my opinion.  Your best bet is to see if who you bought it from will take it back.  Otherwise, try to keep things stable, do a water change, and don't touch the anemone.  Hopefully it will adjust and survive, but nothing is guaranteed. 

Can you tell more about your setup?  Lightning, flow, etc?

• Like 1

Hello! Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I'm going to struggle with answering your questions, but I'll do my best. I added instant ocean reef crystals to my tank. My salinity is currently reading 1.023/1.024. I also added some water and a piece of decor from my established 30 gallon reef tank in hopes of introducing some beneficial bacteria to my 40 gallon. I left it as such with the filter running for a few weeks and did water tests, all of the parameters seemed alright. The lighting and filter I both got in a top fin aquarium kit. The filter is an internal filter, I'm not sure what model, but the flow is pretty heavy and not adjustable. The anemone is on the opposite side of the filter though. The lighting is just standard white led. I'd like to upgrade it to reef rated lighting but I'm not sure what to look for in new lighting. I also have an air pump in the tank as well. 

I would take the anemone back, but the store I got it from is over an hour away. All other fish stores around me don't carry saltwater livestock. Why is it that anemones should only be introduced to mature tanks? I respect that and I wish I would've waited to get one, but unfortunately I was unaware. I'm just curious about the reasoning behind it; is it because there's not enough beneficial bacteria established? Or is there something else I'm missing? My 30 gallon tank is a few weeks older than my 40 gallon and I added an anemone to that tank at the same time as my 40. The anemone in my 30 is doing fine and looks really healthy. 

I'll do a water change when I get home today. What percentage of water should I change? Thanks!

The bta is not looking great to be honest.

It really should not be in a tank that hasn't matured let alone not finished cycling. 

During cycling there shouldn't be any livestock in the tank.

With 0 nitrates developed, you have a way to go until the tank is fully cycled.

1 piece of decor ornament isn't going to offer much, it doesn't provide any biological filtration and regular lighting is insufficient to support an anemone, it barely can keep easy low light corals alive.

You need liverock in the tank for biological filtration and lighting in the reef spectrum.

Anemones are invertebrates and are much more susceptible to bad conditions in tanks. They are delicate creatures requiring stable parameters, mature biological systems.

Both your tanks are far too young and unstable for anemones.

The best advice anyone here will be able to give is start researching, research is the number 1 thing anyone should do prior to even starting a tank. Its absolutely necessary to have a boat load of knowledge to properly run a reef tank and succeed

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The bta is not looking great to be honest.

It really should not be in a tank that hasn't matured let alone not finished cycling. 

During cycling there shouldn't be any livestock in the tank.

With 0 nitrates developed, you have a way to go until the tank is fully cycled.

1 piece of decor ornament isn't going to offer much, it doesn't provide any biological filtration and regular lighting is insufficient to support an anemone, it barely can keep easy low light corals alive.

You need liverock in the tank for biological filtration and lighting in the reef spectrum.

Anemones are invertebrates and are much more susceptible to bad conditions in tanks. They are delicate creatures requiring stable parameters, mature biological systems.

Both your tanks are far too young and unstable for anemones.

The best advice anyone here will be able to give is start researching, research is the number 1 thing anyone should do prior to even starting a tank. Its absolutely necessary to have a boat load of knowledge to properly run a reef tank and succeed

I thought nitrates were unhealthy for aquariums? Doesn't it lower water quality?

Do you have any suggestions for reef rated lights? 

1 minute ago, M. Tournesol said:

For reef tank (tank with anemone, corals,...), the salinity should be more like 1.025-1.026. 1.023 is more for a fish-only tank.

This is the only remark that I can give you as I never add an anemone.

Thank you. I will increase the salinity when I do a water change today

12 minutes ago, veiledfox said:

I thought nitrates were unhealthy for aquariums? Doesn't it lower water quality?

For your fish yes, but corals and anemones need them for photosynthesis.
Reef tank can contain a big diversity of animals with different needs.

2 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

For your fish yes, but corals and anemones need them for photosynthesis.
Reef tank can contain a big diversity of animals with different needs.

That makes sense, thank you!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, veiledfox said:

Change it slowly if you want to. 1.025-1.026 is more of a classic salinity for a reef tank. One this guide https://theaquariumguide.com/articles/bubble-tip-anemone
they say the 1.023 to 1.025 is good for an anemone. Thus, your salinity should be OK 🤦‍♂️.

This is what happens when someone who has never taken care of anemones speak 🙄

7 minutes ago, veiledfox said:

Don't do this.. complete a water change using matching salinity.  The anemone is stressed, rapdily changing salininty won't help.  Something you can do is top off evaporation with saltwarer to slowly raise salinity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, veiledfox said:

A when @Clown79  was speaking of nitrate, she was speaking of the nitrogen cycle. because you have 0 nitrate, she was supposing that you didn't finish your cycling process.

Aquarium-Nitrogen-Cycle1.jpg

Edited by M. Tournesol
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

Don't do this.. complete a water change using matching salinity.  The anemone is stressed, rapdily changing salininty won't help.  Something you can do is top off evaporation with saltwarer to slowly raise salinity.

Noted. Thank you

I just got home and took a look at the anemone. Still looking a bit rough but significantly better from this morning. I'm going to do a 25% water change and see if I can find some live rock for my tank. 

20211012_122750.jpg

19 minutes ago, veiledfox said:

I just got home and took a look at the anemone. Still looking a bit rough but significantly better from this morning. I'm going to do a 25% water change and see if I can find some live rock for my tank. 

20211012_122750.jpg

Yes, and don't forget to buy a light. Anemone need a reef tank light.

1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

A when @Clown79  was speaking of nitrate, she was speaking of the nitrogen cycle. because you have 0 nitrate, she was supposing that you didn't finish your cycling process.

Aquarium-Nitrogen-Cycle1.jpg

With nitrite being present and no nitrates, it screams a non cycled tank. There not being any biological filtration is another flag.

2 hours ago, veiledfox said:

Nitrates and phosphates are extremely important.

You need to read up on the nitrogen cycle, importants of nutrients, salinity, parameters, and lighting.

Its extremely important to have this knowledge.

We can help you but not having an understanding on these important aspects of a reef system will leave you struggling.

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Nitrates and phosphates are extremely important.

You need to read up on the nitrogen cycle, importants of nutrients, salinity, parameters, and lighting.

Its extremely important to have this knowledge.

We can help you but not having an understanding on these important aspects of a reef system will leave you struggling.

Okay, thank you for your advice! 

1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

Yes, and don't forget to buy a light. Anemone need a reef tank light.

Will do!

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, rough eye said:

you have a tank that may not be cycled, and the "established" tank is only a few weeks older? i have a 90 page thread you might want to read. 🙂

Are you talking about me? 🤣

1 hour ago, rough eye said:

you have a tank that may not be cycled, and the "established" tank is only a few weeks older? i have a 90 page thread you might want to read. 🙂

No need to be passive aggressive. Obviously I've made some mistakes but I'm trying my best. 

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, veiledfox said:

No need to be passive aggressive. Obviously I've made some mistakes but I'm trying my best. 

Rough eye is always like that but I think he means well. Basically you are me in last April.