Coral Vue Hydros

Hello fellow reefers

guess its about time i started a little journal of my little pico tank. quick history, been reefing for about 5 years with a 45 gallon then took a 3 year break from the hobby. some coworkers got into the hobby and found out i used to own a reef tank. they were able to convince me to get back in. so with limited space in my apartment and wanting something simple yet challenging i always wanted to take a crack at a nano/pico tank. after some research i found the fluval evo line. i wanted the 13.5 but didnt have a place that could support the weight so i settled with the evo 5. so here we go 

Equitment

• Tank: Fluval evo 5 gallon 20.5 x 11.6 x 7.5"  
  • Return pump: NEWA MN606 - 159gph
  • Lighting: stock 11k LED with 12inch ebay blue led strip
  • Filtration: intank media basket with Top. floss Middle. carbon. Bottom. MarinePure Bio gems 
  • Circulation: Sicce nano 1000
  • Temperature control: inkbird ITC 308A WIFI, and TP link kasa wifi outlets
  • Heater: Aqueon preset 50 Watt heater

Livestock:

Fish

• Green Clown Goby

Invertebrate 

• Sexy shrimp X4 (X5 now)
  • porcalien crab
  • Scarlet hermits X 2
  • blue legged hermits X 2
  • nassarius snail X 3
  • Astrea Turbo snail X 3

Coral

• Red spotted Mushroom ,Discosoma
  • Blue spotted Mushroom , Discosoma 
  • Neon Orange Mushroom, Discosoma
  • Lava lamp mushroom, Discosoma
  • Cheetah mushroom, Discosoma
  • Neon Green Mushroom, Rhodactis
  • Red mushroom, Rhodactis
  • Forest Fire Mushroom, Rhodactis
  • Green hairy mushroom, Rhodactis
  • Neon Green Ricordea
  • Green Ricordea
  • Orange RIcordea
  • Yuma orange Ricordea 
  • Blue Ricordea
  • Serenity zoanthids
  • Green star polyps
  • Mystery chalice (ID unknown)
  • Blue trumpet, Caulastrea curvata
  • Lord Red & Blue Acan, Acanthastrea
  • Duncan, Duncanopsammia
  • Green singularia leather
  • Rock Flower Anemone X 6

FTS 09/01/2021

IMG_20210901_221054757.jpg

CURRENT FTS 12/01/2021

IMG_20211201_231618826.thumb.jpg.8e396bab551676fb0a34ac155a975dff.jpg

• Like 3

Mr. Popo has made this hole his home

IMG_20210925_215907669.jpg

Copepod polulation blew up a week after I added my first corals

IMG_20210921_230202837_HDR.jpg

First situation with my reef

IMG_20210924_204618286.jpg

He thinks he's funny

IMG_20210924_204622745_HDR.jpg

More goodies. Reasons why I left the hobby. It hurts the wallet. Reasons why I came back it's cheaper then therapy

IMG_20210925_181402823_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

...it all happened so fast... then there were three... 

I didn't think that sexy shrimp would be cannibalistic, strange cuz they had been well-fed. My guess is that my three females caught the male mid-molt.  

( I should make a note that all these photos are happening within the span of a month; first 2 weeks were cycling, and last 2 weeks was purchasing corals and invertebrates)

• Wow 2

I caught one of the sexy shrimps mid-molt.

IMG_20211009_170430605.jpg

Neon green ricordia i got from a frag swap last weekend

10/09/2021

IMG_20211009_170900398.jpg

I got this cool green and orange rhodactis also from the same frag swap 

IMG_20211009_170921978_HDR.jpg

Another score from the frag swap. Beautiful RFA 

IMG_20211009_170953926.jpg

• Like 1

Nice journal, and the tank is looking really good. All the pics are awesome, but that pic of the RFA with the porcelain crab is spectacular. 🤩

• Like 1

How did you get that flow director piece to stay in place and work? I couldn’t get it to fit properly in my tank and ended up using a surface skimmer instead.

21 minutes ago, banasophia said:

How did you get that flow director piece to stay in place and work? I couldn’t get it to fit properly in my tank and ended up using a surface skimmer instead.

My basket came with 2 different flow directors ones for the spec and ones for the Evo I believe. They both fit loose. I put the Evo one and wedged some zip ties in the back to put everything right up against the glass. it doesn't really work that well until you upgrade return cause there is not enough water rushing over into the floss but it works

IMG_20211013_020414270.jpg

Also thanks for the kind words. Your Evo V is also an inspiration. Gives me hope for the stock light.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Instant_taco said:

My basket came with 2 different flow directors ones for the spec and ones for the Evo I believe. They both fit loose. I put the Evo one and wedged some zip ties in the back to put everything right up against the glass. it doesn't really work that well until you upgrade return cause there is not enough water rushing over into the floss but it works

IMG_20211013_020414270.jpg

Also thanks for the kind words. Your Evo V is also an inspiration. Gives me hope for the stock light.

Ah thanks for the pics… great job figuring out how to make that piece work! The surface skimmer is working for me with the stock pump, but it I feel like it was sheer luck that I got it sorted out when I couldn’t make the flow director fit. 

Your tank looks so nice already, can’t wait to see what you come up with. I have a kessil but never felt the need to swap out the light… interested to see how the stock light does with the corals in your tank. Between your tank and @debbeach13 ‘s, I’m feeling inspired to add some mushrooms to mine. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Ah thanks for the pics… great job figuring out how to make that piece work! The surface skimmer is working for me with the stock pump, but it I feel like it was sheer luck that I got it sorted out when I couldn’t make the flow director fit. 

Your tank looks so nice already, can’t wait to see what you come up with. I have a kessil but never felt the need to swap out the light… interested to see how the stock light does with the corals in your tank. Between your tank and @debbeach13 ‘s, I’m feeling inspired to add some mushrooms to mine. 

Mushrooms are great corals. they fill almost every box for me. Easy, colorful, can live in toilet bowl water, Multiply like crazy(money maker 🤑), Not aggressive. 

Now I'm looking for a easy softie or LPS that likes the stock light and high flow to fill the back (debating on switching out the koralia 425 to something smaller) Was thinking of a green sinularia or some GSP for a magnetic rock shelf I got. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Instant_taco said:

Mushrooms are great corals. they fill almost every box for me. Easy, colorful, can live in toilet bowl water, Multiply like crazy(money maker 🤑), Not aggressive. 

Now I'm looking for a easy softie or LPS that likes the stock light and high flow to fill the back (debating on switching out the koralia 425 to something smaller) Was thinking of a green sinularia or some GSP for a magnetic rock shelf I got. 

Mushrooms never seem to spread like that in any of my tanks… it’s a mystery! 

I like GSP

Looks like I got some flatworms. Never had them before should I be worried

IMG_20211013_222658054_HDR.jpg

More hitch hikers but I like this one. There is a little asterina starfish next to the blue mushroom

IMG_20211013_222924354.jpg

Mushroom is almost done splitting and SURPRISE  there is another one in the back of the shell that I didn't notice

IMG_20211013_223044083.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my little reef being so full of life already.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, hooligan_78 said:

Get rid of the flatworms as soon as you can. They will reach plague proportions very quickly and start bugging your corals.

I was doing research. They seem to be acoel flatworms and are harmless unless they turn into a plague. They fiest on copepods which probably explains why I had a bloom and now they are mostly gone. I was also reading theyll die off with the copepods. And only get out of had when they have a massive bloom and start walking over coral and bothering them. I was looking at flatworm exit but idk about if it will affect my inhabitants and my tank is very young. I'll keep an eye on them for now.

• Like 1

Off to the races, Mushrooms making more mushrooms.

Some flat worms are harmless but not all. The ones I had were not. Based on color and asking on here but when ever they were on the glass I always picked them off. The populations has died way back with out doing any thing else. and I very rarely see one. 

• Like 1