Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shrimp hitch hiker in live rock

MrsJones91011

NoOneLikesADryTang

I couldn’t keep any fish with our mantis. Eventually she’d get bored, or hungry and take them out, even though she was a smasher. (She even got a a super fast six line wrasse, that she’d been sharing the tank with for months.)

• Wow 1
MrsJones91011
4 hours ago, Tired said:

Definitely don't put a shrimpgoby with a mantis. The mantis might or might not try to eat it, but would almost definitely get territorial. 

😭😭😭OK, ok. Sadness, but I figured as much! 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I couldn’t keep any fish with our mantis. Eventually she’d get bored, or hungry and take them out, even though she was a smasher. (She even got a a super fast six line wrasse, that she’d been sharing the tank with for months.)

😱, did the mantis start doing it from the start or began when she was totally grown up?

When I kept fish with a large peacock. She was ok with fish that were added when she was a baby. I could not add new ones once she was an adult but she lives with the originals without blood shed.

She knew me as a source of food so trying to add a new fish… she thought I was trying to feed her. 🙂 

Individual personalities will vary for sure. 

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
6 hours ago, M. Tournesol said:

😱, did the mantis start doing it from the start or began when she was totally grown up?

She was grown when we added her. The six line had been in the tank when we added her. She was fine with it for a few months… Until she did what mantises do. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

She was grown when we added her. The six line had been in the tank when we added her. She was fine with it for a few months… Until she did what mantises do. 

So I really need to remove the young mantis in my tank 😬. I am hoping that since it is still smaller than my two over fish this could way 3-4 months (when I could have two tanks).
Size comparison of my smaller fish and the mantis:

379724121_Capturedcran2021-10-1016_13_11.thumb.png.253743448f148ebfdf3948f47622d9b0.png1744630836_Capturedcran2021-10-1016_07_04.thumb.png.91ae06bd44747d7806a7798b41a46d64.png

Edited by M. Tournesol
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

So I really need to remove the young mantis in my tank 😬. I am hoping that since it is still smaller than my two over fish this could way 3-4 months (when I could have two tanks).
Size comparison of my smaller fish and the mantis:

Yeah - I would say it’s just a matter of time, until he gets bored/hungry/territorial and takes out the fish. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

lol to put it in another tank if you want 😛

one, in France we don't have Petco. Two the problem isn't money but available space and weight😭 

Maybe this message wasn't destined to me 🙃

1 minute ago, M. Tournesol said:

one, in France we don't have Petco. Two the problem isn't money but available space and weight😭 

Maybe this message wasn't destined to me 🙃

LOL! I didn't read location. Doh!

Well... a plastic bin works as a holding/permanent tank 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
MrsJones91011

My Mantis has moved out of the small piece of rock into the larger main rock where the gorilla crabs are living. Hoping it's taking care of that problem for me lol 🤞🏼😏

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well, something in that equation will probably take care of something else, all right! Though I'm not sure which will win. Probably depends on which is larger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
MrsJones91011
13 hours ago, Tired said:

Well, something in that equation will probably take care of something else, all right! Though I'm not sure which will win. Probably depends on which is larger.

#teammantis 🤪

• Like 3
  • Haha 1