Coral Vue Hydros

Shrimp hitch hiker in live rock

MrsJones91011

MrsJones91011

Hey hey, just received some live rock and trying to identify this little dude. Is he a mantis shrimp? And if so, do you think he will kill all the freakin gorilla crabs if I allow him to live?? Thanks in Advance! 

Screenshot_20211008-140435_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3
MrsJones91011
1 minute ago, M. Tournesol said:

can you put a photo?

Hmmm thought I did! Let me try again. If it still doesn't work, I'll post when I get home. Don't have the best service at the moment!

Screenshot_20211008-140435_Gallery.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
MrsJones91011
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

He’s cute. Where did you get the rock?

Salty Bottom Reef Co. He's currently living under the rock on the bottom right of my tank lol 

20211008_142948.jpg

20211008_144002.jpg

• Like 2
MrsJones91011
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

You would need to see the meral spot to fully id the species, its on the inside of the "forearms"

20210915_211141.thumb.jpg.14110dffe58cd651eb55f2bc1e9e5f7d.jpg 

OK, well if I get a decent Pic I'll post it! I'm not hopeful though 😂

• Like 1
MrsJones91011
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

Or Neogonodactylus curacaoensis??

This one is found in Caribbean, Florida to Panama and Curacao.(in contrary to Espinosus which is only found in center pacific)

@Ratvan@Ratva soooo the question is, can I leave him be?? I know once I move my CUC over, they will be in danger, but I'm not attached to them. 

Just now, MrsJones91011 said:

@Ratvan@Ratva soooo the question is, can I leave him be?? I know once I move my CUC over, they will be in danger, but I'm not attached to them. 

How big is the Mantis? I still seem to have all of my snails but I do purposely feed mine live feeder shrimp

M. Tournesol

Your shrimp and snail will be in danger. Your fish less, but it could still happen. 

Mine didn't kill any of my snails but it is still a young one. However my 30€ pistol shrimp disappear and the only possible culprits at the time where my two hitchhikers: the mantis and a small gorilla crab.

• Sad 1
MrsJones91011
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How big is the Mantis? I still seem to have all of my snails but I do purposely feed mine live feeder shrimp

Maybe an inch and a half?! I hate to have to kill him. The gorilla crabs on the other hand😒 it's unnerving knowing I was stacking and rearranging this rock with all of those in there. (I saw 4 👀

• Wow 1

Nice find! They're such a cool animal.

Don't kill him. You can probably find him a home, they're in demand. You could put him in one of those breeder box things for a little while, as a temporary enclosure to find him a home. 

For the gorilla crabs, make sure to kill them humanely. There's evidence crustaceans feel pain. Either crush the whole body in one go so the brain is destroyed before they feel anything, or humanely euthanize with clove oil. You should have clove oil on hand anyway, in case a fish is sick or injured enough that it needs to be euthanized, but clove oil is best to humanely kill pests. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

That’s an excellent score! If you don’t want him, I’m sure someone in your area would take him. If you can get some better pictures, I may even be able to help identify him. 

Given enough time, he will kill your gorilla crabs. When we got ocean rock with gorilla crabs, we put one in with our G Ternatensis, and she killed/ate him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, MrsJones91011 said:

Maybe an inch and a half?! I hate to have to kill him. The gorilla crabs on the other hand😒 it's unnerving knowing I was stacking and rearranging this rock with all of those in there. (I saw 4 👀

Leave him... he will eat those crabs. CUC is easy to replace. Quick moving fish will likely be fine with such a small mantis as long as he has something to hunt or if you feed him.

This is one I been following on Humblefish forums. They are a hoot and the fish always looking for handouts from the shrimp too lol

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Aw, look at the little fella go! They're such a strange group of animals, stomatopods. Almost remind me of centipedes. I should really get a mantis one of these days, maybe in a 'fuge. 

• Like 1
MrsJones91011
19 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Leave him... he will eat those crabs. CUC is easy to replace. Quick moving fish will likely be fine with such a small mantis as long as he has something to hunt or if you feed him.

This is one I been following on Humblefish forums. They are a hoot and the fish always looking for handouts from the shrimp too lol

Wow! I was thinking the same thing. Just replace the CUC as needed and keep him. I would guess a Yellow Watchman Goby would be out of the question though since they hang out down low, huh?