Jump to content

9to5 Tybee Island Caribbean style tank


kimdawg

Recommended Posts

 

just put a 3 watt UV in my HOB.  I hope it will work because I can only see my clownfish if he is touching the glass,  The water is a murky brown green combo but there isn't really any thing on the sides of the glass.  I hope my riccs, zoas, and RFA are still alive.  I have been changing a 1/2 gallon water every day.

 

Also can someone explain to me again how to get my tag link in the bottom of the post.  I went back and found the post where Seabass talked me through it during the old school contest.  I did it then but have been put to sleep a bunch and taken way to many meds to remember how to do it now.  I went to the links but the url computer talk just blows my mind.  I did manage to get them to show up underlined but you can't click on them.  If not it is ok.

 

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

can someone explain to me again how to get my tag link in the bottom of the post.

When editing your signature:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, kimdawg said:

 

just put a 3 watt UV in my HOB.  I hope it will work because I can only see my clownfish if he is touching the glass,  The water is a murky brown green combo but there isn't really any thing on the sides of the glass.  I hope my riccs, zoas, and RFA are still alive.  I have been changing a 1/2 gallon water every day.

 

Also can someone explain to me again how to get my tag link in the bottom of the post.  I went back and found the post where Seabass talked me through it during the old school contest.  I did it then but have been put to sleep a bunch and taken way to many meds to remember how to do it now.  I went to the links but the url computer talk just blows my mind.  I did manage to get them to show up underlined but you can't click on them.  If not it is ok.

 

You might want to  stop changing the water, possibly something in the new water is helping fuel the bacteria. But hopefully the uv helps and helps quickly.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thanks Seabass, I still don't know what I did but I copied and pasted what you typed and it worked.  I think I pasted it twice but I will try to fix that.

Link to comment

I’ve been fighting a similar recurring bacteria bloom in my baby RFA grow out tank. (It was started as a new tank) Same symptoms as the ones you describe in your tank. 
The only thing that fixes my problem is time. Water changes have become very infrequent and very small as the the cloudiness just comes back right after. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I’ve been fighting a similar recurring bacteria bloom in my baby RFA grow out tank. (It was started as a new tank) Same symptoms as the ones you describe in your tank. 
The only thing that fixes my problem is time. Water changes have become very infrequent and very small as the the cloudiness just comes back right after. 

 

Did it hurt your RFA with the bloom?  I had just added them the week before this started and they were doing great.  Right now all I can see is the outline on my clownfish when he is right up against the glass.  I was planning on changing a 1/2 gallon water every other day while the UV is running.  I have never had anything like this in any of my tanks, so I appreciate any advice you can give.

 

Link to comment

I can see my clown fish swimming mid tank now.  So the UV light is working slowly but making an improvement.  I can not see all of the rocks, but I do see the two larger anemones and they look ok.  The ricordea and zoas don't look very happy but I think they will bounce back.  I am adding a small amount of prime each day incase there is ammonia.

 

I will be leaving for a week on Wed and was thinking about a rather large water change before I go.  My husband will be here to take care of feeding but doesn't do water changes.  Does the water change sound like a good idea or should I not do anything until the tank clears?  I have never had an algae or bacteria bloom like this so I am not really sure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got home from spending a week with my 92 year old mom, and very happy to say my tank is clear.  The bacterial bloom/green pond water is gone.  My clownfish, RFA, zoas, and riccordea all look great.  I still have a little brown diatom on the glass.  I will clean that up and try to post a current full tank shot this week.

 

I have one fish in there.  Would you add another smaller clownfish, some type of small blenny, or just stay with one fish in this size tank.  I can't decide which way to go.  I would like to add a cleaner shrimp if they will play nice with the RFA.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Here are my November tank pictures.  I still need to add a backing on the tank and get rid of the rest of new tank nasties, but I can see inside my tank now.  The 3 watt UV light really cleared it up.

 

 

11a.thumb.JPG.6db17f0dd65cb3f344637c4ea0f77d79.JPG

 

This is with the blue on 80% and the white on 30%.  Everything in the tank survived the green swamp water stage, but I still don't like the zoas.  I plan on taking them out and just keep it with RFA(my favorite) and Riccs.

11d.thumb.JPG.072280491f287e2bfca588455a45216d.JPG

 

I had these two in my 75 gallon tank and moved them in here.  I have 10 ordered from GLC and think I will put most of them in here along with 8 riccordea.11l.thumb.JPG.599d836ef0c3c5d066e20faa424e808f.JPG

 

Here is my only fish.  I call it Wiggle Dawg.  I am thinking about another fish.  Should I get him a friend or just stick with inverts?  I am thinking about a tail spot blenny, another small fish, pom pom crab, or porcelain crab.  I am not sure which to get though.11s.thumb.JPG.600570366b1cce37f6b262638f571756.JPG

 

Last picture for now.  This one is all blues.  I like to run the tank like that most of the time.

11j.JPG

  • Like 7
Link to comment

I got my order today from GCE and it was packed perfectly.  I ordered 10 RFA most of them were the common ones for $5.00 each.  I think they are beautiful.  I got colors of purple, green, red, tan.  Some of them are striped and some mixed colors.  I got 6 riccs and they came in shades of blue, green, and purple.  I also ordered a gorgonian in a purple color.  I have never had one before but love the look of them in other tanks.  I got a pound of sand, about 45 snails, and 3 packs of macroalgae to split between this tank and my 75 gallon.  I added two red varieties to this tank and put the rest in the refugium of the larger tank.  I have never had macro in a display tank so this is a new experience.  I am going to leave it like this until the new year and then may choose some crabs or shrimp to add.  I guess this an early Christmas/birthday gift to myself.  I will add pictures as the tank clears.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I got my order today from GCE and it was packed perfectly.

I'm sorry, what does GCE stand for?  Earlier you referred to them as GLC, but it doesn't hit me what vendor this is.

Link to comment

Sorry I messed up with the first post.  I take a lot of meds at night and don't sleep much so I am always making goofy mistakes.  They are not a sponsor here so let me know if I need to take this down.  I got all of the new stuff from Gulf Coast Ecosystems.  The package was 32 pounds and their shipping prices are fantastic.  Some of the RFA were 2 1/2 inches big and they all opened up and seem to have settled down for the night.  They are not super fancy ultras, but for the price I love them. The riccs came with a little substrate attached so they were easy to glue down.  I got lots of little micro brittle stars in the macroalgae.  I found them in my refugium tonight when the light came on.  I moved about 10-12 over to this tank and they seemed to hide in the rocks. My tank is going to be full when the RFA expand.  The only other things I may add are porcelain crabs and a small blenny.

 

Thanks for sponsoring this contest.  For me it's not about winning or prizes, it is about being part of something and getting to talk about it with other people who are interested.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

They are not a sponsor here so let me know if I need to take this down.  I got all of the new stuff from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. 

Thanks!  Oh yeah, I like them and have placed a few orders with them in the past.  I didn't realize their RFAs were that inexpensive.

 

15 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I got lots of little micro brittle stars in the macroalgae.  I found them in my refugium tonight when the light came on.

I think I might put together another order from them.  I need to beef up the biodiversity of my tanks.

 

17 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Thanks for sponsoring this contest.  For me it's not about winning or prizes, it is about being part of something and getting to talk about it with other people who are interested.

You're welcome.  I appreciate that.

 

We aren't offering any huge prizes this time.  But like you, I feel these contests are mostly for the fun and comradery (and maybe some bragging rights if you win).  Still, it was quite generous of inTank and Chris Marks to contribute prizes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Thanks for sponsoring this contest.  For me it's not about winning or prizes, it is about being part of something and getting to talk about it with other people who are interested.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Tell them I suggested them We might be able to get them to be a sponsor.  Russ is verry easy to talk to and willing to sell you stuff he doesn't have on the web side.  Several of the things I got were not listed on the site but he just sent and invioce for them.  I will be making a larger order when I decide to clean up the 75it is full of metallic branching GSP, Big harry mushrooms and something called waving hand.  I need to take a pic of that tank to show what I am talking about.  It is all on my rock and I would love to trade it out to get new rock.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/29/2021 at 7:25 PM, kimdawg said:

Here are my November tank pictures.  I still need to add a backing on the tank and get rid of the rest of new tank nasties, but I can see inside my tank now.  The 3 watt UV light really cleared it up.

 

 

11a.thumb.JPG.6db17f0dd65cb3f344637c4ea0f77d79.JPG

 

This is with the blue on 80% and the white on 30%.  Everything in the tank survived the green swamp water stage, but I still don't like the zoas.  I plan on taking them out and just keep it with RFA(my favorite) and Riccs.

11d.thumb.JPG.072280491f287e2bfca588455a45216d.JPG

 

I had these two in my 75 gallon tank and moved them in here.  I have 10 ordered from GLC and think I will put most of them in here along with 8 riccordea.11l.thumb.JPG.599d836ef0c3c5d066e20faa424e808f.JPG

 

Here is my only fish.  I call it Wiggle Dawg.  I am thinking about another fish.  Should I get him a friend or just stick with inverts?  I am thinking about a tail spot blenny, another small fish, pom pom crab, or porcelain crab.  I am not sure which to get though.11s.thumb.JPG.600570366b1cce37f6b262638f571756.JPG

 

Last picture for now.  This one is all blues.  I like to run the tank like that most of the time.

11j.JPG

The tank is looking great. 😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a second fish tonight, it is the smallest clownfish that I have every seen in the in the LFS.  It is about an inch long.  They are already doing the happy dance together.  I will try to get a current picture of the tank tomorrow afternoon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Merry Christmas everyone.  I have a new tank shot and some additions to the tank.IMG_8254.thumb.JPG.92f4d787bdc852061161a5c81b0d82a7.JPG

 

I added a new clownfish mate.  You can't tell from the picture, but the bottom one is less than an inch big.  There was no fighting at all.  They sleep together and do the wiggly dance all the time.  One of my RFA decided to climb the glass and show his backside, but has since moved back to the sand.IMG_8249.thumb.JPG.d65847cc4bfe7bbf9058bc4c1d20548c.JPG

 

The clowns hanging out over the ricc rock.  In the background you can see the red macroalgae and the gorg.  I have never kept macro in a display tank or had a gorg. before.  I love these things in other people's tank and wanted to try new things in this tank.IMG_8250.thumb.JPG.631f4a2aabaec4ef12185dda7ca0df4c.JPG

This is a picture of some new things my daughter got me for Christmas and Birthday.

IMG_8252.thumb.JPG.92259ff0eae41d5bd64949f3d89a13e8.JPG

 

IMG_8255.thumb.JPG.7ddc02fe10ff8cd4bc0fd1a23aa0fb2c.JPG

 

These last two shots show some of the RFA.  I want them to be the main focus of my tank.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

                       Happy New Year!  We had a great evening with friends and family cheering on the DAWGS!  I hope the team we see in the championship game plays like we did tonight.

                       

                       Everything in my tank is doing great so far.  Some of the rfa don't move and others move around a little every couple of days.  This is an awkward question, but if you have rfa how often and much do they poop.  I make my own fish food with fresh shrimp, oysters, various ocean fish, nori sheets. coral frenzy, liquid coral food, and some fish pellets. It makes everything in the tank very happy.  The day after a feeding the larger rfa will have a long glooby looking substance coming out of their mouth.  It stays together unless the current blows apart.  It is about 2 inches long and like gelatin.  I try to catch the pieces before they get lost in the rock pile.  I feed them this mixture about 3 times a week, so I see them poop a lot.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, kimdawg said:

This is an awkward question, but if you have rfa how often and much do they poop

It really depends on how much and how often you feed them.  I don't tend to target feed mine, but they catch stray food.  But if you target feed, they will poop much more.  Once a week feedings should be more than enough.  Plus, they don't require that much food.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I changed two gallons of water tonight and everything is looking pretty good.  I will take a picture tomorrow after water clears back up.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • kimdawg changed the title to 9to5 Tybee Island Caribbean style tank

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...