Innovative Marine Aquariums

Current USA Orbit r24 PAR Report

less than bread

less than bread

I just scanned my new tank that is currently cycling and thought I would share my PAR results with everyone. I will try to be a thorough as possible (Included a picture of tank and light for reference)

Tank:

Innovative Marine 20 gallon drop off peninsula

Display dimensions: Length: 14.5in (36.83cm), Width: 16.25in (41.275cm), Depth: 17in (43.18cm)

Light:

Current USA Orbit r24

light Position: 8in (20.32cm) above surface. Mounted a few inches towards the back of the tank from center since that's where I want to direct most of the light

Full daylight settings:

Blue: 83%

White: 83%

Red: 57%

Green: 47%

PAR Meter:

Seneye Reef Monitor (I believe this is a trustworthy PAR meter. Many reviews I've seen say it's accurate. Even negative reviews of the device itself mention the only good thing about it is the PAR meter)

PAR Readings: (Top, Mid, Low=Depth), (Middle, Left, Right=Position from center)

Top Middle: 415

Top Left: 320

Top Right: 320

Mid Middle: 290

Mid Left: 240

Mid Right: 280

Low Middle: 170

Low Left: 120

Low Right: 115

I am very pleased with these results as I am hoping to eventually make this a mixed reef. If anything, I might turn the lights down some. Can't speak to the actual performance when it comes to growing coral yet since the tank is still cycling, but so far, I really like this light and app. Most of the applications I've seen of this light are on larger tanks with multiple lights so hopefully this can help show what just one is capable of.

Final Note:

About a week ago, I was just fooling around and decided to see what this light's max output was (Everything 100%) and I believe "Top Middle" was over 700 and "Low Middle" was nearly 300 if I remember correct. So full blast, you could certainly use this thing for an SPS dominant tank as well.

Tank.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 10/6/2021 at 5:42 PM, less than bread said:

Current USA Orbit r24

New light!   I haven't been paying attention lately...

Full daylight settings:

Blue: 83%

White: 83%

Red: 57%

Green: 47%

Shut down those reds and greens and tone down that white so the overall color is something like 20,000K.  Should be just enough whites to look good to you.

So full blast, you could certainly use this thing for an SPS dominant tank as well.

SPS require no more light than other corals.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:30 PM, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Looks like it’s putting out much more light than their IC line. 

54 watts....would be comparable to a 48-60" IC at the same wattage, but the light is concentrated like a halide rather than spread as a T5.

A 36" Dual IC kit would put out more light, at 72 watts.

Three 18" IC strips would be comparable.

No physics tricks involved!  🙂   Just the old "trick" of more watts in less space.  Good for folks who like spotlights/miss halides.  👍

NoOneLikesADryTang
15 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

54 watts....would be comparable to a 48-60" IC at the same wattage, but the light is concentrated like a halide rather than spread as a T5.

You’re really stretching for this comparison. His tank is 14.5 x 16.25. There’s no way he’d light it with a 48” fixture. 

• Like 1

Just two examples that there were/are IC lights in the same output range.  I cited 18" strips for this tank and 48" for otherwise.  (You actually hadn't specified, you were speaking in general so I covered both bases.)

What is slightly surprising to me is to see Current with a spotlight.  Not something they've done since their old halide/florescent combo's.  Cool!

Edit:  I forgot about this light they had kinda in-between the combo light-era and LED strip-era...not sure it was all that popular, but it looked cool!  ...and it was (I think) the last/only dedicated spotlight they've made.   (Right?)

image.thumb.png.f252f29e8313b618d4b850f347dcd6a4.png

less than bread
53 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

OP's test numbers seem roughly in line with Current's marketing, which is a good thing:

image.png.dc87ff09dab1b411d81213be4baaf4fc.png

That’s what I noticed as well. The highest I got was 700 but that was a few inches down. I could definitely see more around the 1000 range right at the surface

• Like 1