Pod Your Reef

Aclman's 9 to 5 Middle School Mayhem - Meet Wasabi!

aclman88

41 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

nice. how is it all joined? do you have any working drawings of it? i would like to build a canopy likethat for my 10 gal tank. i only have some hand tools and a jigsaw at the moment though

It is joined together with wood glue and the interior joints were also caulked with paintable silicone.  The entire interior was painted with appliance eopxy.  

If you don't have the ablity to glue it with clamps screws are always an option, you will just have screw holes that you might want to fill.

• Like 2
filefishfinatic
5 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

It is joined together with wood glue and the interior joints were also caulked with paintable silicone.  The entire interior was painted with appliance eopxy.  

If you don't have the ablity to glue it with clamps screws are always an option, you will just have screw holes that you might want to fill.

i have clamps 

19 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Looks like real progress to me.

Thanks! Just slower than I would like

9 hours ago, Maas101 said:

Very nice work on the lid, gotta love people who DIY as much as possible to make something truly unique 👍

Thanks I appreciate it. I’m happy with how it turned out for being a budget build and my first go around

• Like 1

Updated pics with the canopy and a bottom trim to keep the tank from looking too top heavy.

7CB4D621-D5CD-4B7B-BB11-0A356FEFD4EC.thumb.jpeg.cbc8e0584298ae0c223a35083d5d27fd.jpeg

Debating including a piece of wood to cover the all in one area. Thoughts? 

1A690328-F08F-4685-B502-4A0E7CCC62E4.thumb.jpeg.bf66028467f93f7ef677a18306f92a76.jpeg

With lights:

A6AA138E-3D82-4B5A-966B-07B5F9D18ADF.thumb.jpeg.5f2f6532a518f0532d66cfbf74d6ad8e.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
28 minutes ago, Maas101 said:

Personally I think it looks better with the AIO covered, it joins the base and the canopy and makes it look more like an integrated unit.

I agree

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

No new updates for this tank.  The holidays and family have really taken a toll on any free time (in a good way)  We also redid the tile floor in one of the bathrooms which basically sucked up 5 straight days of removing the old floor and laying tile. Hoping to work on scaping this tank over the weekend using some dry rock as well as rock I have been cycling in a bucket so that I can bring it to work and get it set up in the next couple of weeks.

I am still debating a theme for the tank.  I was initially leaning towards RFA garden or a mini maxi or two, but since this is at school and I won't have access to the tank, I may make a frag forest using a bunch of leather trimmings, gsp, xenia and rhodactis from my 10 gallon and letting those grow out.  This would cost nothing and would allow me to use hardy corals to assess the tanks stability at school over weekends.   Another possible theme would be a leather lagoon, since I have multiple leathers (five in total) that I can trim and use as well.

I already have everything else needed for it to function remotely: ATO, inkbird controlled heater, lights on analog timer, etc. Ideally, a wifi camera could be set up so that I can view the tank from home, but that likely won't happen anytime soon.

That's it for now... hopefully I can have some more progress pics and updates after the weeked!

• Like 5

I can't give pics of the tank but I can at least show off the new floor my wife and I put down.

Old laminate that was swelling due to water (not sure why pervious owners installed non-waterproof laminate in a bathroom)

IMG-8142.thumb.jpeg.d89031b333218a8991dc439fe6323b72.jpeg

New hexagon tile

IMG-8244.thumb.jpeg.37649e8740d80bdb7b3fde7c8c8bae14.jpeg

• Like 9

Very cool. I just got hired as a long term sub for 10th grade biology, and was approved for a couple small classroom tanks, so I'm looking at getting a fw planted tank as well as a reef tank setup in the classroom in the next couple weeks.

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Maas101 said:

Awwww, you edited teacher to teach. I thought it was a joke but then I always did have a warped sense of humour...

Haha yea I saw it and found it ironic but alas, my ego took over

Tank is wet!  Got in my classroom this morning and used my morning prep period to get things up and running.  Scape is made from some unused caribsea life rock and some pieces from my LFS live rock tub that has been sitting in a bucket with a pump and heater for about a month after I brought it home.  I put some frosted window background on and might throw some colored accent lighting a la @Tigahboy.

I am likely going to add some live sand, bottled bacteria, as well as some bio balls that have been in my waterbox in hopes that there won't be a cycle.  I would like to get some coral in this thing as soon as possible as I already have students asking what is going to be in it.  Still not sure what direction for a theme, although I am leaning towards a mini-maxi and some cool inverts or just throw in a bunch of random frags and shrooms from my ten gallon to fill it up a little quicker.

IMG-4012.thumb.jpg.fdd3d661957c672b0007cb085025df09.jpg

• Like 8

Bottle bacteria added and ATO set up.  Added some Dr. Tim's ammonia and will test tomorrow (if we don't get a snow day) for ammonia and nitrate.  If things look good I am hoping to get a fish in next week or two, some GSP, and a couple leather frags.

Let the uglies begin!

IMG-4041.thumb.jpg.2666923285d2dcd8402f182acfebdaad.jpg

• Like 4

First livestock was added on Friday and everything is happy after the weekend. 

IMG-4049.thumb.jpg.991ee5feb820068f913a01bfd2b398c5.jpg

Current livestock:

• Coral:
    • Blue Sympodium 
    • Green Star Polyps
    • Nice ugly finger leather coral
  • Inverts:
    • Astrea Snail 
    • Nassarius Snail

Planned/Possible additions:

Coral:

• Orange Rhodactis
  • Kenya Tree
  • Leather Frags 
  • Mini-maxi or Rock Flower Anemone

Possible main inhabitants: 

• Tailspot Blenny from my Home Tank
  • Clown goby of some sort
  • Coral Banded Shrimp
  • Interestng inverts - Sexy Shrimp, porcelain crabs, 

Would love feedback on these possible additions or if there are any other ideas on wha could be cool additions.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, aclman88 said:

Curious, would a mini-maxi fit in this tank? Display is 12” x 8” and 10” tall. @jservedio? Even if it’s short term I can always move it to my 10 gallon

Hell yeah it would, go crazy with them. I had both of mine, including the super nice one, in my 2g and they did fantastic in there and I had great color from both with very sub-optimal lighting.

• Like 1
  • aclman88 changed the title to Aclman's 9 to 5 Middle School Mayhem - Meet Wasabi!