Top Shelf Aquatics

Zoa Colony Not Opening Up

okale

Hello Everybody!

My tank(Peninsula Mini 15) is 2 months old now almost.(~12 gallon volume)

I have added a clownfish(1 month back), leptastrea coral(around 2 weeks back).

Clownfish is healthy. Leptastrea coral is also looking normal. 

I added a new zoa frag.(About 5 days back). I have attached an image below.

The rightmost zoa polyp opens completely when the lights are on.

When the light is on, most of the polyps in the frag dont open but some of them seem to turn green(actual color of zoa). While one in the front(next to the blue one) turns white.

Although I do see some hair like structures(brown) on the zoa polyps which have not opened. I saw them on leptastrea when I introduced it but they went away(stress?)

These are my tank parameters

Ammonia : 0.02 ppm

Nitrite : 0 ppm

Nitrate    :  5 ppm

Calcium : 450

Alkalinity : 12dkh

Salt used : Instant Ocean (Moving to Red Sea Coral Pro) but alkalinity seems to be always high.

Water Changes : 0.6 gallon every 4th day

Salinity : ~1.025

Filtration

-Phosguard(very less amount, takes about a week to turn yellow)

-Filter Floss and Carbon

The zoa coral is slight shaded but it still receives light.

Can you give me suggestions as to what can make them open up? More/less light? Should I wait for 1-2 weeks?

Thanks,

Omkar

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-03 at 9.42.28 PM.jpeg

NoOneLikesADryTang

Hi Omkar! 

Zoas can be finicky when introduced to a new tank. I’d be patient, and it should open up in time. I’ve had some zoas stay closed for a couple of weeks while they acclimated to the tank. 

• Like 3

What @NoOneLikesADryTang says. I can see the blue polyp is absolutely fine. But the rest look really closed down. 

The one that opens, does it stretch for light or is it close to the rock?

It's tricky to see but is there green hair algae around the frag? I find if they are a bit dirty, after a pick at by some hermits n snails they are a lot better off.. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply.

Hello @NoOneLikesADryTang !

Thank you for the suggestion. I will just wait for a couple of weeks. 

Hello @Murphych

Yeah the blue polyp just opens up every time it gets light. It looks closer to the rock but roughly 1/2 or 1 cm above the rock where it connected.

All my snails are for the sand or glass(2 ceriths and 3 nasarrius). I can maybe get some Astrea Snails to eat the hair algae. I am not able to see the algae with my eyes but in the picture it looks like there is some algae.

Why are you using phosguard? It really should only be used on a as needed basis with frequent ohos testing as it will strip the tank of phos.

Not only do corals need phosphates but having low to no phos will lead to much bigger problems. 

Your tank is very young. Algae is not only normal and but is expected in a young tank.

Having no algae is actually not beneficial.

As for the zoa's, its normal. They are finicky. Some like more light, some like low light but all like nutrients.

• Like 3

Hi @Clown79

Thank you for the reply.

1.Because phosphate can increase the algae present, I thought it would be better to use very small quantity of Phosguard. But I will remove it based on what I read in your post. Yeah, my phosphate is constantly at 0 because of it. 

2.Okay, I will check how they behave. Right now, they are not receiving a lot of light but they are not completely shaded. The one polyp which is open is getting more light though compared to others.

3 hours ago, okale said:

Hi @Clown79

Thank you for the reply.

1.Because phosphate can increase the algae present, I thought it would be better to use very small quantity of Phosguard. But I will remove it based on what I read in your post. Yeah, my phosphate is constantly at 0 because of it. 

2.Okay, I will check how they behave. Right now, they are not receiving a lot of light but they are not completely shaded. The one polyp which is open is getting more light though compared to others.

I don't really see any algae issue warranting phosguard and if phos is 0 already, thats an issue.

You certainly don't want 0 phos.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, okale said:

The one polyp which is open is getting more light though compared to others.

looks like you just answered your own question. 

my tank has plenty of phosphates and plenty of light, yet no algae. i would say limiting those 2 things do not necessarily equate to  amount of algae present.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, rough eye said:

looks like you just answered your own question. 

my tank has plenty of phosphates and plenty of light, yet no algae. i would say limiting those 2 things do not necessarily equate to  amount of algae present.

I had very high phos and next to no algae.

• Like 2
justinkdenny
20 hours ago, okale said:

0 phosphate is a recipe for a dinoflagellates outbreak.  be careful.

• Like 3