Coral Vue Hydros

Thoughts on water change

Heydude

Hi all, 

Upgraded from a 30L to a 100L about 8 weeks ago, on the 30 I struggled to keep the nitrates at below 20 so was doing 20% water change every 10-14 days or so. 

Now that the new tank is settled and my parameters are generally consistent, just looking for advice as to if you think any of the below would warrant a wc, I'm not sure they do but going from frequent changes to now being 3 weeks since last change I'm just curious as there are lots of places say weekly changes etc.

All corals are still opening and looking good, I've only two fish at present, an Ocellaris and a Yellowtail Damsel, which are both active and feeding well. 

Tank is an Aquaone Reef 90 which took just over 105L to get to working level in display and sump, running a Bubble Magus Curve 5, Jeboa DCP-2500 pump and floss filter socks on a 3 day maintenance cycle. 

KH - 8

PH - 8.0

Calcium - 390

Ammonia - 0.2

Phosphate - 0

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

Magnesium - 1245

Any advice welcomed. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Your phosphate and nitrates are too low. You will get different answers on the numbers but I TRY to aim for 5 to 10 ppm nitrates and 0.03 to 0.10 phosphate. This is low enough not to instigate algae but high enough to keep coral happy.. 

You are reading ammonia however which on hobby grade test kits should read 0. What ammonia test kit do you use our of interest? 

The ammonia is the only thing on the readings you have provided would raise an eye brow from me... But I wouldn't be hopping around to mix Salt water up in a rush either..

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. 

Test kits used currently are, 

KH - Marine Labs

PH - API

Calcium - Marine Labs

Ammonia - Marine Labs

Phosphate - API

Nitrate - API

Nitrite - API

Magnesium - Salifert 

As these run out in looking to replace with Salifert. 

Of the Phosphate and Nitrate are already at zero and too low, a wc would only keep this stable, what would you suggest to get them up if that is the way to go. Corals are all still doing as well as they used to, especially the zoa colony which has had a growth spirt over the last few weeks tbh. 

Thanks again for your reply. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Heydude said:

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. 

Test kits used currently are, 

KH - Marine Labs

PH - API

Calcium - Marine Labs

Ammonia - Marine Labs

Phosphate - API

Nitrate - API

Nitrite - API

Magnesium - Salifert 

As these run out in looking to replace with Salifert. 

Of the Phosphate and Nitrate are already at zero and too low, a wc would only keep this stable, what would you suggest to get them up if that is the way to go. Corals are all still doing as well as they used to, especially the zoa colony which has had a growth spirt over the last few weeks tbh. 

Thanks again for your reply. 

The api phos tester is not good for reefs. Its not a low range tester therefore anything low, it will not read so your results are inaccurate

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

The api phos tester is not good for reefs. Its not a low range tester therefore anything low, it will not read so your results are inaccurate

TBH that is probs the next one to change, was waiting till run out but might as well change now if you think not correct reading.