Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

๐Ÿ•˜ Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest ๐Ÿ•”

seabass

52 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Omg itโ€™s so adorably small ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

7A3C0C08-4EF5-4671-B3B0-384673C5FB5E.thumb.jpeg.d58465752a973584ca98cee818f493b2.jpeg

It would probably even fit through the opening in that soda can.

• Like 2

Here's a little teaser for you all.ย  @Christopher Marks and I came up with the following ( 6" x 4.5") Nano-Reefin' 9 to 5 Office Space Champion trophy.

tdwedgeyear.thumb.jpg.79e76c21492f849d73613cff8149ea69.jpg

This is an approximate rendering of what the winner will receive.ย  Chris will post an actual picture of the award after it arrives (should be the week of the 21st).

• Like 15
  • Wow 5

I would like to participate in this contest (not to win, but for enjoyment), but not 100% if I will be able to keep up. We have our first little one due in just over a month, so that may completely derail me.

ย 

Is there any harm in starting if there happens to be a time where I am unable to continue the updates? (Livestock will always be taken care of)

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Hasted said:

I would like to participate in this contest (not to win, but for enjoyment), but not 100% if I will be able to keep up. We have our first little one due in just over a month, so that may completely derail me.

ย 

Is there any harm in starting if there happens to be a time where I am unable to continue the updates? (Livestock will always be taken care of)

Start anywaysโ€ฆ usually the contests have a few free passes if you miss an update.ย I am due in Dec and just going to join and see what happens anyways.ย 

• Like 6
  • Wow 3
3 hours ago, Hasted said:

... not 100% if I will be able to keep up. We have our first little one due in just over a month, so that may completely derail me.ย  Is there any harm in starting if there happens to be a time where I am unable to continue the updates? (Livestock will always be taken care of)

Wow that's awesome!ย  I hope all goes well.

ย 

While frequent updates are encouraged, they aren't required.ย  In theory, you only need one post (an initial post with a 9to5 tag, and a photo of your dry entry with a coffee mug, cup, or tumbler in or in front of it).ย  Finally, the contestants will have to send me at least one pic at the end of the contest (the quick-view summary).ย  Other than that, updates are optional.ย  I'll continue to post TPS (Thread Post Status) reminder memos every month - just because people would like to see what's going on with everyone's projects.ย  However, you can post whenever possible.

ย 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am due in Dec

OMG, Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

Hello Milton, what's happening?ย  I see you've setup your office nano.

billandmilton.gif.adc76808629e73dfd3d8ac5faaf4508d.gif

Yeah Bill, it's the only thing keeping me from setting the building on fire.

ย 

• Haha 6
On 11/13/2021 at 10:20 AM, seabass said:

Hello Milton, what's happening?ย  I see you've setup your office nano.

billandmilton.gif.adc76808629e73dfd3d8ac5faaf4508d.gif

Yeah Bill, it's the only thing keeping me from setting the building on fire.

ย 

ย 

0 u6P3A_bQ7SejhT3v.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Unfortunately, I have an IM 14 Peninsula on my office desk, and will be upgrading to a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 real soon, both of which are way past 9 gallons.ย ย 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

IndolentFakeChicken-mobile.jpg

This is the last week to qualify for the contest.ย  Before the end of November 30th, you must:

• Start a thread in the Nano Reef Journals forum.
  • Add a 9to5 tag. 9to5 tag
  • Post a picture of your dry entry with a coffee mug, cup, or tumbler.

ย ย ย ย ย ย  mugsandcups.jpg.a54c6d23ab3a8edce3e8a58dd01a978d.jpg

Let me know if you are having any problems or have questions.

Just a reminder that after you qualify (with a thread, tag, and photo), there are no other posting requirements for this contest.ย  In addition, there are no requirements for when you set it up; so, in theory, you could even set it up sometime in April.ย  So if you are still on the fence, enter and work out the details (equipment and livestock) later.ย  After you qualify, the only other requirement is to send me a final photo (between May 1st and May 15th).

ย 

You don't even need to stock your tank; it could be a conceptual setup without any livestock.ย  Or you could just purchase some live rock from the ocean and see what grows by the end of the contest.ย  We still don't have a tank that is lit only with natural sunlight; and, unfortunately, we don't have a 5 gallon bucket entry yet either.ย  We have some very interesting entries, but I'd like to see a few more.ย  Time is running out. omgomgomg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Do you want to enter but have limited time, budget, and no tank?ย  How about making an entry thread using an empty salt bucket?

bucket.jpg.3ccdbca1bec33dd8d76c2e9348d7a0e5.jpg

Then work out your plans down the road:

• Drill it for a sump or use a simple powerhead
  • Create an intricate top down aquascape or make a viewing portal in the side
  • Light it with natural sunlight or a PAR38 LED
  • Stock it with dwarf seahorses or brittle star
  • DSB or GSP covering the bottom

ย 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Just a reminder that after you qualify (with a thread, tag, and photo), there are no other posting requirements for this contest.ย  In addition, there are no requirements for when you set it up; so, in theory, you could even set it up sometime in April.ย  So if you are still on the fence, enter and work out the details (equipment and livestock) later.ย  After you qualify, the only other requirement is to send me a final photo (between May 1st and May 15th).

ย 

You don't even need to stock your tank; it could be a conceptual setup without any livestock.ย  Or you could just purchase some live rock from the ocean and see what grows by the end of the contest.ย  We still don't have a tank that is lit only with natural sunlight; and, unfortunately, we don't have a 5 gallon bucket entry yet either.ย  We have some very interesting entries, but I'd like to see a few more.ย  Time is running out. omgomgomg

Too much pressureย ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

ย 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Murphych said:

I'm back in .. just in case I want to get involved when I'm in the middle of boring winter holidays ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Awesome!ย  The contest doesn't end until May 1st, so (since you're already qualified) there's no hurry in setting it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got around to my post.

ย 

My idea is to have a Wyze cam or two streaming the tank to a tablet I have set up when I am teaching. See how much of a distraction this becomes. Ha!

• Like 4
On 10/25/2021 at 3:16 AM, seabass said:

You can make equipment changes anytime throughout the contest, just as long as the total saltwater volume capacity of the system (including external filtration, plumbing, etc) stays within the 4.50 to 9.50 gallon range.

ย 

If you decide to change your display tank or container, it must be done prior to December 1st (and a new entry photo must be taken).

I am looking at this message and asking myself if me changing my tank (because it is a little broken) to a tank with similar dimensions is disqualifying. I am still waiting for the aquarium to return into stock...

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic