Cultivated Reef

🕘 Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest 🕔

seabass

I may have the possibility to participate in the 9 to 5 competition (more news in 1-3 weeks).
As usual, I am limited in size 🙄.
Only 2 tanks could correspond to what I want:

• Blau Cubic 45 x 24 x 16 cm (17L)
  • ADA 45-F 45 x 27 x 20 cm (22L)

Since the Blau is cheaper and the ADA is still not available in any French web-shop, I tend more towards the Blau Cubic.

@seabass, Would the Blau qualify for the competition? By using your tank volume calculator I obtained with its external dimension a volume of 4.56 us gallon. This would barely qualify. furthermore, Its internal dimension does not qualify at all.

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

I may have the possibility to participate in the 9 to 5 competition (more news in 1-3 weeks).
As usual, I am limited in size 🙄.
Only 2 tanks could correspond to what I want:

• Blau Cubic 45 x 24 x 16 cm (17L)
  • ADA 45-F 45 x 27 x 20 cm (22L)

Since the Blau is cheaper and the ADA is still not available in any French web-shop, I tend more towards the Blau Cubic.

@seabass, Would the Blau qualify for the competition? By using your tank volume calculator I obtained with its external dimension a volume of 4.56 us gallon. This would barely qualify. furthermore, Its internal dimension does not qualify at all.

You could use a hang on filter to increase the water volume to easily qualify. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/23/2021 at 4:08 PM, M. Tournesol said:

Would the Blau qualify for the competition?

If using the calculator, we'd need to use the internal dimensions.  But I'll also accept the stated capacity of 17 liters (which is 4.49 gallons).  That's so very close (just 38 ml shy); but I'm sorry, I'm going to strictly stick to the stated rules.

office-space-printer-gif-14.gif

"38 ml?  Let me at him!"

However, there has to be a way to increase the capacity by at least 38 ml:

• Any external filter, reactor, sump, or refugium would do.
  • An internal filter that's capable of holding 38ml of tank water above the top of the tank (possibly even a protein skimmer).
  • Basically anything with external plumbing would qualify (like a closed loop).
  • Some tubing running from a cheap internal pump above the top and back down could add 38ml (or maybe a u-tube return).

Image result for u tube return aquarium

• I bet a pump with a spray bar could potentially hold 38ml of water above the top of the tank

NICREW Filtre Intérieur Aquarium avec 5W Pompe à Eau d’Un Débit de 200L/H, Filtre Interne pour Aquarium d'eau Douce jusqu'...

• A small negative pressure container, or a primed siphon tube going out then back in (just as long as 38ml of water is held outside the tank).

I hope that you can work it out.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jesseatam said:

Could a college dorm count as an office?

Definitely! 👍

As would a home office or "workspace."

Even though it's an "Office Nano Contest", nobody will be eliminated due to its location.  For example, mine will reside in my basement.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Clarification: Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest

2.jpg

Per the rules, "all contestants must be properly entered BEFORE Wednesday December 1, 2021 (with a journal thread tagged with 9to5, and an entry photo containing a coffee mug/cup/tumbler)."

This doesn't mean that your entry has to be wet by then, just that it needs:

1. A contest journal thread.
  2. A 9to5 tag for your journal.
  3. And a proper entry photo in your thread (of your entry containing a coffee mug, or cup, or tumbler).

Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest is brought to you by:

spacer.png & spacer.png

• Like 3
4 hours ago, seabass said:

,"all contestants must be properly entered BEFORE Wednesday December 1, 2021 (with a journal thread tagged with 9to5, and an entry photo containing a coffee mug/cup/tumbler)."

That is enough time to procrastinate

Screenshot_20211024-165740_Firefox.thumb.jpg.c9ff475326a109e9a8ca6673a5d22996.jpg

• Haha 6

@seabasscontest question for you, so i may have to change from a canister to a closed loop system, which will change the total volume of the system but the main display will still be within contest guidelines. If I make changes prior to Dec 1st is that acceptable? The original and main tank wont be changing. 

20 minutes ago, kekke1082 said:

@seabasscontest question for you, so i may have to change from a canister to a closed loop system, which will change the total volume of the system but the main display will still be within contest guidelines. If I make changes prior to Dec 1st is that acceptable? The original and main tank wont be changing. 

You can make equipment changes anytime throughout the contest, just as long as the total saltwater volume capacity of the system (including external filtration, plumbing, etc) stays within the 4.50 to 9.50 gallon range.

If you decide to change your display tank or container, it must be done prior to December 1st (and a new entry photo must be taken).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

You can make equipment changes anytime throughout the contest, just as long as the total saltwater volume capacity of the system (including external filtration, plumbing, etc) stays within the 4.50 to 9.50 gallon range.

If you decide to change your display tank or container, it must be done prior to December 1st (and a new entry photo must be taken).

Thanks for confirming! 

MEMO: TPS Updates

Contestants are encouraged to frequently post updates and pics throughout the contest.  And while not a requirement, this monthly memo is a reminder for participants to make Thread Post Status (TPS) updates even if not much has changed in the last month.  TPS updates could include things like pictures, plans, equipment and livestock additions, DIY projects, etc.

Also, remember to update your initial journal posts (which the voters will reference) with things like:

• Goals and/or future plans
  • A summary of the project
  • Relevant pictures
  • A current equipment list with specifications
  • Current livestock
  • Links to key posts
  • Your maintenance routine
  • Things you've learned and/or what you wish you had done differently

thatd_be_great.jpg.73eca49a69cb8ca4f4e801fe24ebb308.jpg

Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest is brought to you by:

spacer.png & spacer.png

• Like 7
52 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Dec 1st cut off, yes?

Technically, it's anytime BEFORE December 1st.  So I'd say that November 30th is the last day that you can qualify.  So for others following along, all you need to do by the end of November 30th is:

• Start a journal thread in the Nano Reef Journals forum.
  • Add a 9to5 tag tag to the initial post.
  • Post of picture of your entry (in your journal thread) with a coffee mug, cup, or tumbler inside (or in front) of it.

mugsandcups.jpg.a54c6d23ab3a8edce3e8a58dd01a978d.jpg

Your entry doesn't have to be stocked, or even wet yet.  In fact, there are no requirements as to when you have to stock your tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Technically, it's anytime BEFORE December 1st.  So I'd say that November 30th is the last day that you can qualify.  So for others following along, all you need to do by the end of November 30th is:

• Start a journal thread in the Nano Reef Journals forum.
  • Add a 9to5 tag tag to the initial post.
  • Post of picture of your entry with a coffee mug, cup, or tumbler inside (or in front) of it.

mugsandcups.jpg.a54c6d23ab3a8edce3e8a58dd01a978d.jpg

Your entry doesn't have to be stocked, or even wet yet.  In fact, there are no requirements as to when you have to stock your tank.

Check on all that, just need to relink the tag and update the title... 👍🏼

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

What heaters are people using these days for small tanks? 

An Eheim Jager TruTemp 50 Watt should work for anything within this range: https://intankaquatics.com/eheim-jager-trutemp-50-watt-fully-submersible-ul-approved-heater/

If you need something small, you might consider a Deep Blue Heat Stik (plus a controller): http://deepblueprofessional.com/mini-submersible.html

@StinkyBunny, you mean serious about those Deep Blue Heat Stik heaters?  Yeah, they might not deserve a recommendation and they certainly aren't commonly used, but they are very small.  Because of their size, I've used one in my cookie jar pico, and will probably use one in my carboy.  They're an always on heater, so you need to use them in conjunction with a Inkbird or some other temperature controller.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

@StinkyBunny, you mean serious about those Deep Blue Heat Stik heaters?  Yeah, they might not deserve a recommendation and they certainly aren't commonly used, but they are very small.  Because of their size, I've used one in my cookie jar pico, and will probably use one in my carboy.  They're an always on heater, so you need to use them in conjunction with a Inkbird or some other temperature controller.

Those Deep Blue heaters are good stuff, the Jaegers are total crap anymore. We switched over to Weipro heaters and their controllers 6 years ago. Sadly, now all they heat are our planted tanks. I don't know if they make anything small enough, but I can tell you that their Ti tubes and controllers are top notch. Jaeger used to be my go to heater, but after 5 seal failures, I don't trust them.

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Jaeger used to be my go to heater, but after 5 seal failures, I don't trust them.

Good to know, it's been awhile since I purchased one.

9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Deep blue isn't in business anymore though? Don't see them no Amazon. 

Check eBay.  My main complaint is that the cords are super short.

• Like 2

My LFS has some peppermints (not true ones.. I think Lysmata ankeri) that are as small as my pinky nail. 

The one on the right is hella tiny. Three for 15. Might make a cool pico inhabitant. 

167666A0-73A5-446A-A443-91C9A32BFF2C.thumb.jpeg.1b554f76606a02ddeb9d1dbaa0cc2113.jpeg

• Like 5

These guys can also live from fresh water to a marine environment. Likely very entertaining though I am not sure how they would do with coral. They must not pose a huge danger to fish as I see people keep small FW fish with them. They definitely like to eat algae. 

They are excellent climbers and could easily end up in someone's dryer *cough* @WV Reefer

image.thumb.png.eb07a060955939500f93bf371ec7c81b.png 

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic