ReefCleaners.org

🕘 Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest 🕔

seabass

spacer.png

Sponsored by inTank and Nano-Reef.com.

spacer.png & spacer.png

@Christopher Marks, @inTank, and I are pleased to announce the Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest.  The following memo outlines the rules, dates, and entry requirements.  Refer to this thread for future contest announcements.

Have you ever wanted a reef tank in your office?  If it's alright with your boss, this could be the perfect time to start one.  However, since aquariums aren't allowed in everybody's workspace, and because many of us are working remotely, home tanks are also welcome.  If you haven't participated in one of these contests before, they are primarily about the fun, comradery, and bragging rights (but mostly the fun and comradery).

The rules are simple.  You see, there's a mat which you put on the floor, with different Conclusions on it...

6866.Jump_2D00_to_2D00_Conclusions_2D00_Game_2D00_Wins_2D00_Funding_2D00_On_2D00_Shark_2D00_Tank.jpg

Just kidding.

Actually, there are a few RULES & IMPORTANT DATES that you need to be aware of:

1. Entries can be any system capable of holding a total volume of saltwater between 5 and 9 gallons [US, liquid]*, including: any tank or multiple tanks, or any container or containers, with any filter(s), closed loop(s), sump, etc.
  2. Saltwater systems onlyNo freshwater entries accepted.
  3. Contest tank journal threads MUST have the tag: 9to5.  I'll be using this tag (9to5 tag) to verify all entries.  Contest threads should be started in the Nano Reef Journals forum.  To help identify these contest threads to other Nano-Reef members, it would be nice if thread titles also contain "9to5", "9 to 5", or "925" somewhere in the title.
  4. mugsandcups.jpg.a54c6d23ab3a8edce3e8a58dd01a978d.jpgAn entry photo MUST be posted in your contest tank journal, taken of your empty/dry tank or container, containing: a coffee mug, cup, or tumbler (for example: a novelty ceramic mug, travel mug, paper Starbucks to go cup, insulated cup, or tumbler).  Post of picture of your mug/cup/tumbler inside of your empty/dry tank or container; if it doesn't fit, post of pic of your mug/cup/tumbler in front of your empty/dry container.
  5. This contest starts on Friday October 1, 2021, and ends on Sunday May 1, 2022.  In order to qualify, all contestants must be properly entered BEFORE Wednesday December 1, 2021 (with a journal thread tagged with 9to5, and an entry photo containing a coffee mug/cup/tumbler).
  6. All eligible contestants MUST send me a contest quick-view pic/summary by Sunday May 15, 2022 (details of the summary will be disclosed in this thread prior to the end of the contest).  Refer to this thread for any future contest announcements.
  7. Voting will begin on Friday May 20th (with polls closing on Tuesday May 31st).  Any ties will be broken by StevieT from inTank.

* The total water volume is to be determined by the capacity of the system (NOT the amount of water used), rounded to the nearest US gallon.  We will accept the stated manufacturer's specifications for capacity, OR the calculated capacity by entering the inner dimensions into this tank volume calculator, OR by using measured amounts of water to determine the capacity of unusual shapes (like vases).

Standard aquariums, all-in-one tanks, carboys, buckets, external filters and plumbing are all allowed - as long as the total volume capacity is between 9 and 5 US gallons.  In addition, there are no equipment, livestock, or budget limitations.  However, while bragging rights are worth a lot, spending a bunch of cash on livestock in an attempt to win a contest doesn't always impress the judges.

I encourage contestants to post pics and updates frequently.  You should try to include at least one Thread Post Status (TPS) update each month.  I'll be posting monthly TPS reminder memos in this thread.

thatd_be_great.jpg.73eca49a69cb8ca4f4e801fe24ebb308.jpg

Nice mug Bill.  I wonder how someone might get one of those.

However, I don't intend to bump individual contest threads with reminders each month.  Lack of journal entries will likely negatively affect how many people will follow your thread and will vote for your entry; however, "the Bobs" (Christopher Marks and I) won't let you go because of it.

Your office nano can have a theme if you'd like (they can be quite popular).  Maybe you'd like to setup a macroalgae dominant nano, or even light your tank with just sunlight.  This is your workspace to do whatever you want.  I anticipate seeing some very creative entries; and judging them all might be as difficult, and fun, as aquascaping a narrow mouth carboy.

CATEGORIES & PRIZES, winners to be determined by a Nano-Reef poll: **

• Best Office Nano: Nano-Reef T-shirt, a Reefin' 9 to 5 (Champion) engraved acrylic award, and an inTank Tervis® Tumbler.

inTank Tervis.jpg

Main_white__58440.1629310042.jpg

• Exceptional Budget Build: Milton's Red Swingline Stapler, Bill Lumbergh's Nano-Reef mug (see pic above), and inTank surprise "flair."

when-someone-tries-to-grab-the-last-toilet-paper-rolls.gif

I believe you have my stapler.

BONUS AWARDS, winners to be determined by Christopher Marks (for a Nano-Reef sticker pack): **

• Outstanding Execution of a Theme
  • Best Use of a Non-Traditional Aquarium
  • Most Unique or Biodiverse Livestock

** International entries are welcome; but we aren't able to ship prizes everywhere.  In the event that an international contestant wins a prize category, we'll make an effort to see if shipping is possible, but with no guarantees.  In addition, where shipping is possible, international contestants might be responsible for some or all of the additional shipping and/or customs charges.

Once you are sure that you will be participating, you can start your contest tank journal.  But don't fill your display until after you've taken your coffee mug/cup/tumbler entry photo.

Qualified Contestants:

1. aclman88 - Aclman's 9 to 5 Contest Tank
  2. allesluge - 9 to 5 Awkward cube
  3. chipz - 9to5 Diminutive Desktop Distraction: Breaking Rules Left and Right
  4. Chowder's Reef - 🌿9to5 Acro Jungle🌿 New Outboard Motor
  5. Cryolath - 9to5 The World Turned Upside Down
  6. empresto - Empresto's 9to5 5-Gallon Cube System
  7. fenderchamp - nine2Five micro-reef 5
  8. FishI - My 9to5 Reef pond
  9. growsomething - 925 contest tank "Why Be Normal"
  10. Grundler - 9to5 - The Drop-in Reef
  11. Hasted - 9 - 5 Live Feed Tank - Lifegard 7.4
  12. Jaren45 - [9to5] The "free" Nano
  13. kekke1082 - Reefing 9to5 Keke's first nano reef contest
  14. kimberbee - The "No More Dinos, Please?!?" IM 10 (9to5 Contest)
  15. kimdawg - 9to5 Tybee Island Tank
  16. M. Tournesol - 9to5 Cubicle
  17. Maas101 - Reefin' 9to5 - Welcome to the machine
  18. MainelyReefer - Milton’s Basement Carboy Bommie 9to5
  19. Merthynia - 9 to 5 No more heatwaves!
  20. Murphych - cube of nothingness
  21. NoOneLikesADryTang - 9 to 5 Goniopora and Alveopora Forest
  22. Ratvan - Ratvan's Reefing 9to5 - Tidal Action Tank
  23. Robbie_Maxwell - 9 to 5 Montipora Cube
  24. seabass - 9 to 5 - Reef in a Bottle 🏴‍☠️ Caribbean Carboy
  25. Tamberav - 9to5 budget build

You can also use the following tag to access our current contestants: tag2.jpg.fef166421eff61cee45650812462749f.jpg

Finally, a big thanks to @StevieT of inTank, and to our fearless leader Christopher Marks for bringing us this contest!

spacer.png & spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

While you are free to create your own journal style, I've created the following UPDATED contest journal template (which you can copy and paste and or modify if you wish) for an initial post:

9to5template.jpg.fe960585edc0da47889ed5a2dfa9bd8e.jpg

Contest Journal Title

Introduction or summary...

Current Full Tank Shot:

[Photo 📸 Here]

Contest Entry Picture:

[Photo 📸 Here]

Equipment:

• Tank...

Livestock:

• Coral...

Highlight Links:

• Note: To get the URL, click on the Share icon "sharetemplate.jpg.ef149ec3ffe9d2931b38fac101a4f97b.jpg" in the top right corner that post.

Conclusion, summary, or thanks...

Reefin' 9 to 5, Brought to you by:

intanktemplate.jpg.858bfcd66a6d01fbb99cbe6d0beff090.jpg  &  nanoreeftemplate.jpg.4ff4c41570f99dd79c0198de114ce5e1.jpg

Edited by seabass
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Cycling your tank:

• When using live rock from the ocean (like from KP Aquatics), you just need to wait until ammonia becomes undetectable for a few days.  Fully cured live rock from a local fish store (LFS), or rock taken from a mature reef tank, is usually treated like live rock taken from the ocean.
  • When building up a biofilter on dry rock, you should first dose a nitrifying bacteria culture (like Instant Ocean BIO-Spira).  Then: Dose no more than 2ppm of ammonia (like DrTim's Ammonium Chloride) and wait for the ammonia level to drop to 0.25ppm [repeat until your tank can process 2ppm ammonia down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours].
  • If using a mixture of dry rock and live rock, first build up the biofilter on the dry rock (as described above), then add the live rock.  Wait until ammonia is undetectable for several days.
  • After your tank has established its nitrogen cycle, you can do a large enough water change to lower nutrients to your desired levels.

Testing:

IMO, some people test more than they need, while others don't test enough.  If you can consistently predict your test results, you can reduce how frequently you do that test.  The following are my thoughts on testing.

• An ammonia test kit is useful when establishing the nitrogen cycle.  Afterwards, you can use the test kit if your tank is having problems, or after a death, or for a few days after you added livestock.  Have some Seachem Prime around just in case your tank has an ammonia spike.
  • I don't typically ever test nitrite, as it's not as toxic in marine aquaria as it is in freshwater setups.  However, a nitrite test kit is occasionally helpful when dosing ammonium chloride to cycle dry rock (but shouldn't be necessary if you don't dose ammonia above 2ppm).
  • Since I don't buffer pH, I typically don't check it.  However, if you are doing something that affects pH (like dosing Kalkwasser), it might be wise to have a pH test kit on hand, and check it occasionally.
  • You should always know your tank's nutrient levels (phosphate and nitrate).  These are important nutrients for photosynthesis, so you don't want them to become too low.  Also, excessive nutrients can accelerate algae growth.
  • Stony corals (LPS and SPS), as well as coralline algae, require alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.  Out of these three, alkalinity changes the most quickly.  Therefore we can monitor alkalinity to see if or when dosing might become necessary.  Initially, water changes should be enough to replenish consumed elements.  However, eventually, as stony corals grow and coralline covers your rocks, water changes won't be enough to replenish these elements, and dosing will be required.  Note, an alkalinity test kit, and dosing, are not usually required for a soft coral tank.
  • If you start dosing, you'll also need to start testing for (and dosing) calcium and magnesium.

Test kits:

Although, there are several good brands of test kits, I usually recommend Salifert test kits for everything (with perhaps an exception for phosphate).  To detect very low values of phosphate, I recommend using a Hanna ULR Phosphate Checker.  Note that API's phosphate test kit is a high range kit, and not ideal to use for reef tanks.

Dosing:

The key to dosing is to maintain stability.  You only want to replenish consumed elements, not elevate elements past the levels of your salt mix.  To maintain alkalinity, some people will use Kalkwasser in their top off water.  However, I find it easier to dose two part solution (while called two part, it's actually three elements: alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium).  Never guesstimate consumption based on a suggestion printed on a supplement's label; instead, always dose based on test results.

Reef Parameters:

Recommended Reef Tank Parameters  
  Parameter: Recommended Reef Tank Values: Typical Ocean Reef Values:*  
  Temperature 76 to 83° F (up to 84° F) 83 to 86° F  
  Salinity sg = 1.024 to 1.026 sg = 1.025 to 1.027  
  Ammonia Less than 0.1 ppm Less than 0.1 ppm  
  Nitrite Less than 0.2 ppm Below 0.0001 ppm  
  Nitrate 3 to 10 ppm (up to 20 ppm) Below 0.1 ppm  
  Phosphate 0.03 to 0.10 ppm (up to 0.20 ppm) 0.005 ppm  
  pH 7.8 to 8.3 (up to 8.4) 8.0 to 8.3  
  Alkalinity 2.5 to 4 meq/L
7 to 11 dKH
125 to 200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents
2.5 meq/L
7 dKH
125 ppm CaCO3 equivalents

Calcium 380 to 450 ppm 420 ppm  
  Magnesium 1250 to 1350 ppm 1280 ppm  
      * Ocean Values Per Randy Holmes-Farley

• Like 6

Please consider purchasing some of your equipment from our contest sponsor inTank.

bc_2021_110x_1616785074__07235.original.png

Heaters:

You'll probably need either a 25W (5 to 7 gallons) or a 50W heater (7 to 16 gallons).  You'll find various sizes, so make sure they fit your display, filter, or sump.  Some are always on and require a temperature controller (such as an Inkbird Aquarium Temperature Controller), some have a pre-set thermostat, and others have adjustable thermostats.  However, a temperature controller is a good precaution for any heater, as it helps prevent stuck on failures from cooking your nano.

Heaters from our @inTank sponsor:

• Hydor Theo 50 Watt Heater (7" tall, shatterproof glass tube, fully submersible or semi submersible - shows water level line)

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2141/5199/50W__37910.1624288670.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2470/5174/50W__45810.1631212291.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2622/6310/50W__74542.1626726580.jpg?c=2

Pumps and Powerheads:

For most mixed reefs, I'd suggest around 20 to 30 times total turnover in the display.  So for a 5 to 9 gallon display, that might be somewhere from 100 to up to 270gph of flow.  Non-coral tanks can get by with as little as 10 times turnover in the display.

Pumps and Powerheads from inTank:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/product_images/uploaded_images/nm606-side.jpg

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2193/5195/MAIN__41107.1623876467.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2019/5508/MAIN__41688.1624288504.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2080/5159/MAIN__33184.1629387322.jpg?c=2 

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2714/7100/1__27836.1620834830.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/4367/7857/MAIN_BOX_PUMP__21334.1607035235.jpg?c=2

Watts Clear PVC Vinyl Hose 1/2 Inch ID Tubing

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-utzkqop372/images/stencil/800x800/products/2269/5126/hose_main__23939.1594668474.jpg?c=2

Filters:

There are actually a number of HOB filters; and I personally find that most are quite capable.  However, one of the most popular brands is AquaClear:

• AquaClear 20 (33 to 100gph)
  • AquaClear 30 (50 to 150gph)
  • AquaClear 50 (67 to 100gph)
  • AquaClear 70 (100 to 300gph)
  • AquaClear 110 (167 to 500gph)

AquaClear Meadia Baskets and Accessories available from inTank:

FLOSS__30472.1626984046.jpg

MEDIA__02742.1629928593.jpg?c=2

HEATERS__33514.1616701683.jpg?c=2     9001_CLOSE__81131.1616701683.jpg

• Like 7
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to 🕘 Reefin' 9 to 5 Office Nano Contest 🕔
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic

Ya'll rock for consistently holding community events like this, I hardly have enough time to check-in or comment nowadays but am really looking forward to stalking through the competition threads. 

• Like 3

My container is a bit cloudier than I hoped it would be.  So I'm still considering whether to go ahead with it, or choose something else. :unsure:

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/9to5/100121a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, seabass said:

My container is a bit cloudier than I hoped it would be.  So I'm considering whether to go ahead with it, or choose something else. :unsure:

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/9to5/100121a.jpg

That is a fantastic coffee cup! 😂🤣😂

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

That is a fantastic coffee cup! 😂🤣😂

Thanks, I bought it for another prize in one of the prize packages (it'll be shipped out new and unused).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I was so close, yet so far away from being able to do this. (Anyone in UK want it, collect from Manchester)😂

927341180_watercooler.thumb.jpg.bd8e44e07098f6e242d1709302e22a59.jpg

That would be so cool!  Just cut a hole in the very top (the bottom of the jug) for easy access.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, seabass said:

That would be so cool!  I'd cut a hole in the very top (the bottom of the jug) for access.

exactly, i even worked out that if i stripped the refridgeration out i could hide all the plumbing and would have space to put a hand pumped water container to make the spigot dispense drinking water 

• Like 2
Just now, Ratvan said:

exactly, i even worked out that if i stripped the refridgeration out i could hide all the plumbing and would have space to put a hand pumped water container to make the spigot dispense drinking water 

I've seen successful reef jars done with the spigot set up for waterchanges lol, the cooler would have been sweet.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Perfect for a sump in that space (for a heater, filtration, return pump).  Nice and clean display.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, A.m.P said:

I've seen successful reef jars done with the spigot set up for waterchanges lol, the cooler would have been sweet.

Just now, seabass said:

Or put a sump in that space (for a heater, filtration, return pump).

I wanted it for the office to be honest. Word for word (or close enough) I was only allowed to have another tank if people could use it to drink water and not fish sh1t.

• Haha 6
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I wanted it for the office to be honest. Word for word (or close enough) I was only allowed to have another tank if people could use it to drink water and not fish sh1t.

That's hilarious.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I was so close, yet so far away from being able to do this. (Anyone in UK want it, collect from Manchester)😂

927341180_watercooler.thumb.jpg.bd8e44e07098f6e242d1709302e22a59.jpg

edit: cough @Murphych

No! fuk off... Do not try, repeat, do not attempt to derail this absolute shite show I have coming up!! 

Is it going to win? Nope, no chance. 

Will it be a fun challenge? Nope, no chance. 

I'll get a thread set up soon.. just need a few tubes of silicone to fill some cracks n holes up as I do like water inside tanks and I'm sure coral does as well... Then I need to source the "focal point"... 

Prepare for fully inappropriate quote: 

"Can you guess what it is yet"

• Haha 6

Now heres the sweetener.... And the reason I was to enter.. the prize is only a Waterbox Marine X110.4!! That's such a mad coincidence.. that's what I want.... Guess who's gonna win.. guess who's just spoken to their LFS yesterday about pre order times and when they need to order to get said tank in feb / march time next year?? 

Many congratulations @Murphych well done

• Haha 5
3 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Now hears the sweetener to the wife.... And the reason I was allowed to enter.. the prize is only a Waterbox Marine X110.4!! That's such a mad coincidence.. that's what I want.... Guess who's gonna win.. guess who's just spoken to their LFS yesterday about pre order times and when they need to order to get said tank in fed / march time next year?? 

Well played sir 

• Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
13 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Now hears the sweetener to the wife.... And the reason I was allowed to enter.. the prize is only a Waterbox Marine X110.4!! That's such a mad coincidence.. that's what I want.... Guess who's gonna win.. guess who's just spoken to their LFS yesterday about pre order times and when they need to order to get said tank in fed / march time next year?? 

Well you just got my vote. 😂😂😂 Genius! 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic