Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish longevity

stevie1493

I am interested to hear from everyone on the factors they have correlated with their longest living fish. I am especially interested in those that have had fish for 10+ or 20+ years.

What in your opinion has most contributed to the longevity of your fish? Varied diet? Conservative stocking level? Stable params? Certain maintenance habits?

michael_cb_125

I had my pair of Bandit angelfish for quite a while. I attained them a juveniles at .75" and 1" respectively. My female died at 12 years of age from a mouth injury related to HLLE. I just recently lost my male at 14 years old.

Both fish were fully quarantined for over 6 months and were 100% disease and parasite free.

I kept them in much cooler water than most reef tanks, which I am sure helped.

~Michael

• Like 2

My clowns were going on 7 yrs before i rehomed them.

I know clowns can live a long time, i've known others who had clowns that were 10+ yrs old and quite fat and healthy.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:08 PM, stevie1493 said:

I am interested to hear from everyone on the factors they have correlated with their longest living fish. I am especially interested in those that have had fish for 10+ or 20+ years.

What in your opinion has most contributed to the longevity of your fish? Varied diet? Conservative stocking level? Stable params? Certain maintenance habits?

Quite a bit is liable to depend on the species, some don't have genetics for long lives, like most blennies and gobies for instance, while others can survive quite a while; tangs, clowns, angels, damselfish to name a few.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

IMO low stocking density is the #1 factor to consider (but not the only one).

Nothing else will make your tank "more like home" than having more room for each fish you have. 

Bigger tank or less fish is the way to have less density.

FYI, fish farmers have it down to "grams of fish per gallon" rules....we're FAR behind the times in that regard.  When density gets high, problems like disease become more likely and more severe.  It's a pretty simple relationship...but tricky to weigh our fish. 😉 Just keep stocking levels "low" for best results.   I have a Yellow Tang and Black Damselfish in my 125 Gallon, for example.  Plenty of room for everyone to grow up and have space.  Could top out sooner, but both fish could wind up being around 6" long on the top end.

The oldest fish I've had were freshwater tho....an Oscar and a Pleco in a 75 gallon.  Both lived to be 20-something.  Got them as babies.  Started in a 20 Gallon, then upgraded to a 75 Gallon as soon as he outgrew it.  Basically the same light-stocking plan was in effect.  Both fish were around 12" long at the end.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

IMO low stocking density is the #1 factor to consider (but not the only one).

This is helpful feedback. My own hypothesis was that low stocking is correlated with longevity in fish.

Currently I have two designer clowns, an Orchid Dottyback, and a Yellow Prawn Goby in a 55g. I consider this lightly stocked and could stop here. However, I've been strongly considering the idea of a six-line wrasse, a dew damsels, and/or a pygmy angelfish. I'm starting to think it would be best to stop with one of the three and call it fully stocked.

• Like 1