ReefCleaners.org

New fish problems

Nehsmit

Hey all been a while since I’ve posted. I upgraded my 24g AIO to a Waterbox 90 9 months ago. All livestock thriving. I also have 2 clowns for years, chalk blenny, 2 cardinal bangaii’s and 1 melanurus wrasse. I added 4 fish this Saturday, all docile and not aggressive.  Did same usual slow drip acclimation. Problem every time I add fish is my other fish get territorial and pick on the more ones. Chase them around and I think all the new ones are dead.  Fish I got were roughly matched for size as well so it’s not like they were much smaller. Am I limited in adding new fish to my tank?  The clowns are the ones that pick at the new fish the most Thank you in advance. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Nehsmit said:

Hey all been a while since I’ve posted. I upgraded my 24g AIO to a Waterbox 90 9 months ago. All livestock thriving. I also have 2 clowns for years, chalk blenny, 2 cardinal bangaii’s and 1 melanurus wrasse. I added 4 fish this Saturday, all docile and not aggressive.  Did same usual slow drip acclimation. Problem every time I add fish is my other fish get territorial and pick on the more ones. Chase them around and I think all the new ones are dead.  Fish I got were roughly matched for size as well so it’s not like they were much smaller. Am I limited in adding new fish to my tank?  The clowns are the ones that pick at the new fish the most Thank you in advance. 

Clowns are always going to be somewhat of an issue. Maybe try removing them or separating them from the other fish until the newer fish have time to settle. 

• Like 1

You could get a peacemaker similar to the one in this video.

https://youtu.be/CWoZPS2y3dA

Fish release stress hormones when they are captured, transported, and released into a new system that prompt established fish to attack. 

I have never used one but I understand by using a peacemaker the established fish sense the hormones released by the new fish but have no-one to attack. After several days the new fish calm down and acclimate and can be released without the established fish going nuts.

This obviously won't be a solution for incompatibility or territorial issues, but has been a key to adding new fish without drama for some reefers.

https://melevsreef.com/reefshop/acrylic-products/specialty-items/the-peacemaker

EDIT: link included with site to order one. Melev custom makes them to your tanks dimensions for $100

Edited by stevie1493
Added link
  • Like 1