Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting options for 75 gallon rimmed tank

Llorgon

I have a standard 75 gallon tank with the rim and the centre brace. My current SB reef lights are starting to go and I need some new lights.

Problem is, I am having trouble finding some LED's that will mount on a rimmed tank and allow me to keep the lids on. Need the lids to keep the cats out.

I can't hang the lights from the ceiling either which sucks.

Tank will be a mixed reef, healthy budget. I have been looking into radions, AI hydra and reef breeders photon v2

You could do black box leds like viparspectra or mars and hang them from brackets like planter brackets or shelf brackets off the wall instead of the ceiling.

I did that with my 5g and Ai prime.  I used the attached silver shelf bracket and attached the wire to hang my pendant lamp.

1394147342558.jpg

download.jpeg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, A.m.P said:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2622878

Otherwise reefbreeders and maxspect still do rails.

I was looking at the reefbreeder photon v2. Wasn't 100% if it would fit on the rim or not. Talked to a guy that has one and he said they fit rims less than an inch wide and mine is exactly and inch.

17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You could do black box leds like viparspectra or mars and hang them from brackets like planter brackets or shelf brackets off the wall instead of the ceiling.

I did that with my 5g and Ai prime.  I used the attached silver shelf bracket and attached the wire to hang my pendant lamp.

1394147342558.jpg

download.jpeg

I was thinking of that, but I have a window behind the tank. So it would have to go on either side of the window.

17 hours ago, PeterU said:

Ya. I saw mixed reviews on if that would fit or not. Some said yes others no. The single arm hangers say rimless only and from the picture it looks like the same arms just placed on the sides.

2 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

Can you post a picture of the top of your tank and lids? Most lights will accommodate a rimmed aquarium but the lids may pose an issue.

Sure. Pic attached. I was thinking I could change the lid to the red sea diy screen top. That way I could just go around anything that sticks out the side.

PXL_20210929_153802271.jpg

PXL_20210929_153749901.jpg

4 hours ago, Llorgon said:

I was looking at the reefbreeder photon v2. Wasn't 100% if it would fit on the rim or not. Talked to a guy that has one and he said they fit rims less than an inch wide and mine is exactly and inch.

I believe they were likely talking about the "smallest" rim size, most of these rim brackets in question secure themselves by resting on top of your rim and having feet which protrude down to keep them from shifting out in either direction. Because of that they can be set up on rimless tanks, lidded tanks, basically anything provided they can accommodate the span of the light.
However if they went the route of "total enclosure" around the rim for whatever reason you can just take a dremel to the interior side.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:55 AM, DevilDuck said:

Another option would be to attach the light support to the aquarium cabinet:

Aquarium Fish Tank aluminium Light Holder Fixture Support Lamp Stand | eBay

Oh that's a good idea. I could definitely do that!

On 9/29/2021 at 3:14 PM, A.m.P said:

I believe they were likely talking about the "smallest" rim size, most of these rim brackets in question secure themselves by resting on top of your rim and having feet which protrude down to keep them from shifting out in either direction. Because of that they can be set up on rimless tanks, lidded tanks, basically anything provided they can accommodate the span of the light.
However if they went the route of "total enclosure" around the rim for whatever reason you can just take a dremel to the interior side.

That makes sense. It could have been that. I will double check.

I messaged my LFS and they said both the radion and ai hydra arms will fit on a rimmed tank like mine. I think it would have to be the rail across the tank though as it seems using the single arms sag.

Now, to be fair, the sag is inevitable and also slightly-intentional. It keeps light from spilling-out forward into the room and is there with the assumption people won't pack the very front of their glass with corals, but will instead focus on the middle and rear of the scape.
Manufacturers could very easily make the mount adjustable or set 15 degrees upwards and completely counter the "sag", they don't for a reason and it's not for cost savings on $3-500 pieces of equipment.

Are they supposed to sag? I've seen conflicting info on that. I have a XR30 on my IM25 and there doesn't appear to be any sag.

Either way. I think I am going to go with two AI hydra 32HD's for the 75 gallon and use the rail mount. My LFS says I can return it if it doesn't work.

20 minutes ago, Llorgon said:

Are they supposed to sag? I've seen conflicting info on that. I have a XR30 on my IM25 and there doesn't appear to be any sag.

Either way. I think I am going to go with two AI hydra 32HD's for the 75 gallon and use the rail mount. My LFS says I can return it if it doesn't work.

If you overtighten it or have a very, very thick glass panels they may not sag much, however if you stick a level on it then it's probably still noticeably off-plum.
Hope the rail mounts work out well for you, be cautious with the V and UV channels on the hydras, AI cheaped out on the lenses this time and they're browning or outright melting on folks after 6-8 months of use.

Not really no, they did roll out a firmware update which underdrives the V and UV channels but the problem's still out there.
They do sell replacement lenses fwiw, obviously there's some type of design or material issue however.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:45 AM, Llorgon said:

it seems using the single arms sag.

Ew. 

On 10/1/2021 at 11:59 AM, A.m.P said:

Now, to be fair, the sag is inevitable

My Kessil 90º tank mounts don't sag...that would be annoying and make it unnecessarily difficult to get your lights how you want them.  Good to know about the AI's tho!

@Llorgon maybe consider Kessils instead if this is a concern?  (No problems with melting lenses or ANYTHING with these lights.  Love em!)

• Like 2
22 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Ew. 

My Kessil 90º tank mounts don't sag...that would be annoying and make it unnecessarily difficult to get your lights how you want them.  Good to know about the AI's tho!

@Llorgon maybe consider Kessils instead if this is a concern?  (No problems with melting lenses or ANYTHING with these lights.  Love em!)

I haven't looked into Kessil. I will check them out!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a trick I came up with if you want to use rim mounted lights but dont want to mount them to your rim.

Go to home improvement store and get some 4 foot 1x4 or 1x6s.

Cut them so they are the height of your tank rim while sitting on the floor. 

Spray paint black.

Put them behind your tank and mount your lights to the top of the board vs your tank.

If they are free standing they will obviously be wobbly. So, you want to make a 12" T-bar on the bottom that's bolted are just glued....or bolt them to your stand. Whatever's clever.

This also gives you the flexibility of sliding them around to adjust coverage without having to futz with the lights.

All the lights I've used will bolt to a 1" board...which is actually closer to 3/4 in width.  Double check your light, but you can always go with 1/2" thick wood if this is an issue.