SaltCritters.com

Emergency question

Lloydpancakes

Talc is mostly magnesium, do you have a test for that? I'd also keep an eye on your calcium since that could also fluctuate if it's not just the starch powder. 

I'm sorry that happened, wishing the best to your critters! 

• Like 3

Giant water changes, carbon, read the ingredients on the container to see what all is in there. 

(Also, look up your brand of baby powder, if it's talcum. Talc is a mineral that naturally grows alongside asbestos, and talcum powder is sometimes contaminated with asbestos due to that. J&J brand is a big one.)

• Like 3

Following up. Did a 50% water change, changed filter media and changed carbon. Will do another 50% today. Hopefully everything will make it. Thanks to everyone.

The powder is mostly corn starch it looks like. Also some tricalcium phosphate, some kind of aloe extract, and fragrance.

I have no idea what corn starch will do in a reef tank, but at least it's probably not toxic. Also, no asbestos. That's generally a good thing.

Anything look sickly so far? 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:09 PM, Tired said:

I have no idea what corn starch will do in a reef tank, but at least it's probably not toxic. Also, no asbestos. That's generally a good thing.

Anything look sickly so far? 

I have a blasto that’s really not pleased and some of my zoos are closed. 

Hmmm, I mean it's super-hydrophobic so filter floss and waterchanges will probably get most of it out, otherwise it's a low-phosphate starch, basically a massive sugar/carbon dosing once bacteria get ahold of it. I'd keep an eye out for any bacterial blooms, test and watch your nitrate levels to make sure they don't bottom-out for a few weeks, and consider basting the rocks off a couple times a week to make sure nothing's trapped in there.
Keeping a tab on your magnesium level sounds like a solid idea too.

• Like 1
Lloydpancakes
On 9/30/2021 at 10:47 PM, A.m.P said:

That's so bizarre, I wonder if one of the fragrances or additives is toxic; the main ingredients (tricalcium phosphate + cornstarch) -to the best I can dig up- aren't, damn so sorry for the loss.

Thanks. Cleaned out the whole tank. Got rid of the rocks. Starting over fresh.

• Sad 2