inTank Media Baskets

Neon goby breeding signs?

Fliertrier

Hello! I have an established saltwater tank with a neon blue goby I’ve had for probably 4-6 months now. I got a neon orange goby today (it’s a 30 gallon with plenty of live rock so I thought they would have room to get away from each other), and while feeding I noticed they were staying close to each other & would follow each other. The blue goby would get very close to the orange one, sometimes stir up some sand, and they would both wait. One would go into a cave and the other would follow, then a moment later they’d come out again. It doesn’t look like fighting to me, no nipping or anything. Just wondering if this is a sign of (attempted) breeding? They’re different species and I know it’s difficult to breed them. Any ideas?

I had a pair breed years ago.. they laid the eggs in a large barnacle skeleton. The only indication i had was when the eggs hatched .. the fry were tiny..maybe 3 mm, the width of a hair and silver in color. They did not last long but the pair were very prolific. The egg mass was noticable if i shone a light into the hole.

I’m not sure if the two types can breed, but cool if they do… I had a mated pair of neon gobies in my Evo 5 and they used to spawn every two weeks like clockwork… the babies never survived after hatching though. 

I know they can breed since I’ve heard of hybrid cleaner gobies before, I think it’s just only in captivity & rare. Wonder if they could be a pair but not lay eggs...either way I did not expect them to get along so well.

• Like 1