Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hi from Wales!

JimboReefMan

Hey Everyone, Hope we're all doing great!

I've just taken the plunge back into the hobby after what must be around 11 years possibly? and, Wow! There have been a lot of changes in that time. So I've spent the last 3-4 weeks casually searching the Interwebs for what's new in the world of aquatics, lighting, salt mixes etc. And believe I have found what I'd like to give a try. I have had experience with Nano's before, and I have had a large 400ltr Fish only tank, but I've never really had the funds to go into it as far as I'd of liked. Now Money is a little more settled and I have a bit more free time, I have bought a Fluval Evo 52ltr Aquarium with the idea of a predominantly LPS aquarium with maybe the odd Softy. I have literally never tried keeping LPS corals, so the majority of my time has been taken up learning about there care. I have started off by upgrading a couple of things in the tank. I have taken out the stock pump and fitted a Sicce 1.0 pump instead. I have also fitted a 'Random flow nozzle' on the outlet. I have the got the FLuval Mini PS2 skimmer in the first chamber and will be getting the 'InTank' media basket and place that in Chamber two. I also have an Aquael Ultra Heater In chamber 3 along with a hang on back mini cooling fan. I'm keeping the stock lighting for now, but won't rule the possibility of an upgrade out later on.

So here's the story so far:

Salt -

Red sea Salt (Blue bucket)

Supplements -

Seachem Stability

Seachem Reef plus

Seachem Reef Trace

Red Sea Foundation Starter pack (Calcium +, KH, Magnesium)

Red Sea NO3PO4-X

Poly lab Reef Roids

Poly lab Polyp Booster

ReefPhyto Zooplankton Multi pack

Test kits -

D&D Portable Refractometer

Seachem Ammonia alert

Salifert Calcium Test

Salifert KH Test

Salifert Magnesium test

Salifert Nitrate Test

Salifert Phosphate Test

Filter Media -

Seachem Purigen

Seachem matrix

Rowaphos

Aquarium Systems White, Green & Blue floss

Decor/sand/rock -

10lbs caribsea Fiji Pink Live sand

Seachem Reef glue

I'm yet to decide which Rock I'm going with, what is everyone else using?

Any advice on any of this I have mentioned will be appreciated, if anyone thinks giving something else a go instead of what I have chosen I'd really like to see your tanks and how well they're doing.

Jim.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JimboReefMan said:

Any advice on any of this I have mentioned will be appreciated, if anyone thinks giving something else a go instead of what I have chosen

Welcome to NR... you listed a lot.  I mean a lot of different supplements and chemical filtration.  My suggestion is to really dig into each of those and see if you want to use them. A lot of what you listed will actually hurt a newly established reef tank. I would take the first 6 months of reef keeping and learn proper tank husbandry by doing water changes and testing. Once you tank is established which will take a minimum of 6-8 months then see what your tank needs some extra help with and use those items your tank needs.. more than likely you wont need any of that stuff . You would be surprised what water changes will do for you especially using the salt you mentioned...

HAPPY REEFING!😎🍻🤙

• Like 2

Welcome to nano-reef! The Fluval 13.5g/52l is a very popular tank and there are tons of journals out there. It was also my first tank. Fluval Evo 13.5 - Somewhat Budget First Reef - Nano Reef Journals - Nano-Reef Community

Advice if I were to start that tank again, Keep It Simple. 

Most of the items on the list such as supplements are not necessary until much later down the line. 

Good call on getting all the important test kits!

• Like 2

Hi Everyone, thanks for the greeting and the input. I'll definitely not be adding some of the filter media or dosing right off the bat, I want to get the tank quite well stocked before dosing etc. It'll be easy to keep up with the 10% weekly water changes and will be keeping up with the tests regularly. Really looking forward to this little project.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2021 at 7:22 PM, DevilDuck said:

Welcome to nano-reef! The Fluval 13.5g/52l is a very popular tank and there are tons of journals out there. It was also my first tank. Fluval Evo 13.5 - Somewhat Budget First Reef - Nano Reef Journals - Nano-Reef Community

Advice if I were to start that tank again, Keep It Simple. 

Most of the items on the list such as supplements are not necessary until much later down the line. 

Good call on getting all the important test kits!

Wow! this looks great bud! Went through all 5 pages to get some ideas

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Nearly two weeks into the cycling process! Everything looking good this far. I’ve also added a ‘TMC Aquaray Blue Flexi LED’ as a supplement light under the hood. Hoping to put about 7KG of rock in there later next week 🤞🏻 

C739A81A-C078-4727-8F73-5B1EE9EAE478.jpeg

• Like 3