Cultivated Reef

ReefTaco

I have a little bit of a situation lol

Someone just molted and think he can rock the big shell how do I get him out lol

The shell is why too big for him idk what he's thinking it's also wedged in there so he can't move it. Also it has one of my mushrooms on it.

IMG_20210924_204618286.jpg

IMG_20210924_204622745_HDR.jpg

• Haha 2

Pry the shell loose so he can get around. Hopefully just a silly crabby. 🙄 I had a land crabby that changed shells every day. 

I've had marine crabbies for a year now. They're quite like the land hermies. I've seen land hermits get stuck and refuse to get out of the shell even if it meant starvation. Some of these crabs were either traumatized at one point or were afraid of other crabs. They preferred shells so large they could barely walk in them. The plus is that if attacked, the crab can pull itself far enough down into that big shell that the other crabs can't get them and pull them out. I've also had crabs that just love a shell so much, they won't let it go. And they grow into it over time. And sometimes this means you have a three quarters naked crab with a tiny shell hanging off his butt.

The only things you can do are: 1) Frag the shroom off the shell, or 2) Just put a ton more shells in there to hopefully tempt him into picking a new home. And if he does, glue that one face down! 😄

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

Gotta love those hermies! 😆 Make sure you fix that shell so he can't get back in there! 😁

I filled it was pebbles and super glue lol little guy thought he hit the jackpot till he realized a mansion was heavyer to carry around. 

• Haha 1