Jump to content
GulfCoastChuck

New biocube 14

Recommended Posts

GulfCoastChuck

I'm just into my 7th day on starting a new tank. I have appx 15 lbs of live rock in it and 20lbs of live sand. I got the live rock from an already established tank. I'm using the biocube filter with bioballs and a bag of chemipure. My salinity levels are good. I'm waiting on my test kit in the mail to check the levels, it got delayed a few days. I put my own light in the lid. It's a Luxcare LC 50a. I'll add a photo of it's specs. I have a 250 coralife circulation pump coming. I'm in no hurry to rush anything. I've read some of the other threads on new tanks and wanted my own because to the knowledge base here is spectacular. I haven't added anything besides water conditioner and salt. I want to know how to do this and do it where it doesn't fail. I want a few corals and some cool fish.  Any input or ideas are graciously appreciated. Regarding corals, fish and other critters I'm all ears.  I'm a roast. Baste me. 

20210923_133630.jpg

Screenshot_20210923-190541_Amazon Shopping.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
FISHnChix

Welcome to NR. Tons of info on here . Just to throw a couple things out here for ya. Water quality is key. Make sure you are starting with rodi water or distilled.  Use the least amount of chemicals as possible.  That means no water conditioner and really no need for chemical filtration at this point(aka chemipure).. also make sure to use a refracometer for testing salinty.  Very cheap and accurate 😎🤙. Do a quick search on cycling a salt water tank if you havent already.. good luck and happy reefing!

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
6 hours ago, GulfCoastChuck said:

I'm just into my 7th day on starting a new tank. I have appx 15 lbs of live rock in it and 20lbs of live sand. I got the live rock from an already established tank. I'm using the biocube filter with bioballs and a bag of chemipure. My salinity levels are good. I'm waiting on my test kit in the mail to check the levels, it got delayed a few days. I put my own light in the lid. It's a Luxcare LC 50a. I'll add a photo of it's specs. I have a 250 coralife circulation pump coming. I'm in no hurry to rush anything. I've read some of the other threads on new tanks and wanted my own because to the knowledge base here is spectacular. I haven't added anything besides water conditioner and salt. I want to know how to do this and do it where it doesn't fail. I want a few corals and some cool fish.  Any input or ideas are graciously appreciated. Regarding corals, fish and other critters I'm all ears.  I'm a roast. Baste me. imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

20210923_133630.jpg

Screenshot_20210923-190541_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Looks like a nice start… and welcome to nano-reef. Agree with FishnChix, you shouldn’t need water conditioner if using distilled or RODI water, and those are usually the best options for a reef tank. Looking forward to following along. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
joshthebox

Welcome. Take things slow, pretty much only bad things happen fast in this hobby 🙂 When adding corals make sure to dip them and check for pests such as Aiptasia and vermetid snails. They can become quite invasive long term. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
GulfCoastChuck

Ok here are my first test results. It's 2 weeks in now.  I'm going to let it cycle more if need be before I add anything. Is there anything I need to add or adjust? Thanks in advance  20210929_163941.thumb.jpg.5283a5d41179606b0a51932e4ba87d85.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
1st reef

Looks like everything is at zero still. Did you get any ammonia or nitrite reading? 

Is the live rock from an established tank? 

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
On 9/29/2021 at 3:01 PM, GulfCoastChuck said:

Ok here are my first test results. It's 2 weeks in now.  I'm going to let it cycle more if need be before I add anything. Is there anything I need to add or adjust? Thanks in advance  20210929_163941.thumb.jpg.5283a5d41179606b0a51932e4ba87d85.jpg

Yeah looks like nothing has happened yet since nitrate is zero… that means nothing significant has happened as far as converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. Have you added anything as an ammonia source? 

Share this post


Link to post
GulfCoastChuck
5 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah looks like nothing has happened yet since nitrate is zero… that means nothing significant has happened as far as converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. Have you added anything as an ammonia source? 

No. Any recommendations? 

Share this post


Link to post
GulfCoastChuck
5 hours ago, 1st reef said:

Looks like everything is at zero still. Did you get any ammonia or nitrite reading? 

Is the live rock from an established tank? 

Yes it was from an already established tank. I'm going to test it again later tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
1st reef

If it was from an established tank and the live rock didn't stay out of the water long, I'd say start with a clown. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
1 hour ago, GulfCoastChuck said:

No. Any recommendations? 

Since your rock was already live rock from an established tank and the parameters look fine with the ammonia and nitrite both reading zero, if the temperature and salinity and water level are staying stable you can go ahead and add 1-2 small hardy fish, like a single fish or a clownfish pair.
 

I personally would also add a small bottle of BioSpira to add additional beneficial bacteria to build up the biofilter, and I like to add a seachem ammonia badge in a new tank to detect any unexpected ammonia spikes between water tests. (And I keep a small bottle of Seachem Prime on hand for emergency use to detoxify ammonia in the event of an ammonia spike.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
GulfCoastChuck
On 10/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, 1st reef said:

If it was from an established tank and the live rock didn't stay out of the water long, I'd say start with a clown. 

It didn't ever go out of water. I transported it in a bucket of water and I matched my salinity to the tank it came from a few days before I went and got it. 

Share this post


Link to post
1st reef

Pretty much instant cycle. It does need a source of ammonia though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
GulfCoastChuck
On 10/1/2021 at 7:22 PM, banasophia said:

Since your rock was already live rock from an established tank and the parameters look fine with the ammonia and nitrite both reading zero, if the temperature and salinity and water level are staying stable you can go ahead and add 1-2 small hardy fish, like a single fish or a clownfish pair.
 

I personally would also add a small bottle of BioSpira to add additional beneficial bacteria to build up the biofilter, and I like to add a seachem ammonia badge in a new tank to detect any unexpected ammonia spikes between water tests. (And I keep a small bottle of Seachem Prime on hand for emergency use to detoxify ammonia in the event of an ammonia spike.)

I have an emerald crab in there now because there is a fair amount of algae blooming on the rocks. Nothing bad but enough to sustain him. I have also been spot feeding him brine shrimp with the pumps off. I'm going to go get a fish next weekend. My calcium is high but all my other levels look good. I live close to the gulf so I'm going to go get some water and do a couple water changes to try to get the calcium down enough for corals eventually. Is the gulf water a good idea?  Thanks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia
24 minutes ago, GulfCoastChuck said:

I have an emerald crab in there now because there is a fair amount of algae blooming on the rocks. Nothing bad but enough to sustain him. I have also been spot feeding him brine shrimp with the pumps off. I'm going to go get a fish next weekend. My calcium is high but all my other levels look good. I live close to the gulf so I'm going to go get some water and do a couple water changes to try to get the calcium down enough for corals eventually. Is the gulf water a good idea?  Thanks 

How high is the calcium? 

Share this post


Link to post
GulfCoastChuck
4 hours ago, banasophia said:

How high is the calcium? 

High as a bird's ass. 😆

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...