reefer_evo5

Best way to add dry aragonite to existing reef tank?

reefer_evo5

Hey guys I was wanting to siphon my sand out of my current tank and wanted to replace it with dry aragonite that is alot thicker. I want to switch the finer grade sand in the tank to a higher grade one to avoid it blowing with my return pump and circulation pump. I saw one at petco that isnt live and my tank has been set up for months now. My idea was to use water from water changes and add it to a bucket and have it sit there for a while while it clears up than siphon out my existing sand and add that sand. Will this work? Or is it not possible to add dry aragonite to a existing tank even if i some how cycle it in a bucket with the water I drain from my tank. if you guys could please help me out I would apreciate it thank you!

jservedio

Just rinse it extremely well and then let it sit out uncovered for a few days to allow any chlorine/chloramine to gas off then just add it in - nothing special. I rinse sand by tossing it in a bucket (or storage tote for a lot), jam a hose down to the bottom of the bucket, and turn it on full blast. Allow the water to run for a while until the water overflowing from the bucket is clear and there are no more fines coming out. While the hose is on, move it around to keep the sand fluidized and use your hands to keep stirring it so the fines and dust can be rinsed out. When it's clean, pour out the excess water and then let the sand start to dry. Add it whenever you want.

The biggest thing you need to be careful with is removing your old sand bed if it isn't extremely clean - you don't want to cause a mini cycle by disturbing a nasty sandbed. When removing a sandbed in a running tank, I try to siphon off 15-25% of the sand with a water change and slowly remove it over the course of a couple months. You can add all the new sand at once.

• Like 1

reefer_evo5
17 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Just rinse it extremely well and then let it sit out uncovered for a few days to allow any chlorine/chloramine to gas off then just add it in - nothing special. I rinse sand by tossing it in a bucket (or storage tote for a lot), jam a hose down to the bottom of the bucket, and turn it on full blast. Allow the water to run for a while until the water overflowing from the bucket is clear and there are no more fines coming out. While the hose is on, move it around to keep the sand fluidized and use your hands to keep stirring it so the fines and dust can be rinsed out. When it's clean, pour out the excess water and then let the sand start to dry. Add it whenever you want.

The biggest thing you need to be careful with is removing your old sand bed if it isn't extremely clean - you don't want to cause a mini cycle by disturbing a nasty sandbed. When removing a sandbed in a running tank, I try to siphon off 15-25% of the sand with a water change and slowly remove it over the course of a couple months. You can add all the new sand at once.

awsome thank you for the help