Coral Vue Hydros

Sams Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25

samjonsmith

Got this additional tank for the office last week - it's a Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 (90l)  😄

I haven't decided on stocking on corals or fish yet - the light is a Fluval Sea Marine nano and is just temporary, with an AquaRay led moonlight strip. I have added an existing TMC v2 PowerBox nano 100 external filter for additional media, flow and volume. Heater is Hydor Theo 75watt, with a PC extractor fan for cooling sitting on the D&D Jumpguard, controlled by an Inkbird Wifi heat/cool thermostat. 

Shouldn't really need cycling due to using LR and LS from main tank, but got to leave fallow for 6 weeks anyway due to possible velvet/brook which will give it a nice amount of time to mature. I will probably add some CUC & frags before first fish.

Will be looking around here for inspiration.

IMG_7102.thumb.jpeg.d388268a316b71757833580385e31be2.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

How is your new nano tank settling in @samjonsmith? Any decisions on livestock selection, while the fallow period progresses?

What's your other main tank like? 🙂 

Not much to share yet - my main tank is in fallow (ends in 4 weeks) - and because I used some sand and rock from that tank - this one is in fallow as well. I took the opportunity to move it closer to my desk though, so I don't have to spin around to see it 🙂 I'm hoping to get some CUC soon. Also in the process of setting up a quarantine tank for fish fish.

3 hours ago, utekevin1313 said:

I start mine penin 25 in few weeks! Exiting!

It is very exciting good luck with it 🙂 

Bit of an update the tank has been moved for the 4th time. Firstly I couldn't decide whether I liked it horizontal or straight on like an extended cube - it's hard with the peninsula style one to choose! Second, when I moved it next to my desk - the filing cabinet I had it on wasn't strong enough and the whole thing wobbled a little when using the mag float. I decided to get a cabinet made for aquariums of the size (not the Waterbox one), which is an AquaOne Inspire 60.

I think I'm finally happy with the location, I have room to hide the ATO & reservoir, all the electrics and thermostat are hidden, and there will be room for for a dosing system as well. It's also right next to my desk so I only have to tilt my head when working to look at it - so I'll be taking regular screen breaks.

I also swapped the light out for a more powerful 10k white led grow light I had in the shed from a refugium on an old setup years ago, it needed balancing out so I added another AquaRay moonlight blue strip. For now it's also just cable tied to the jump guard with two spare metal lengths supporting the the main light, which doesn't look too bad, unless you look at from above!

Oh also when moving I ticked the external filter and managed to squeeze all the media in the AIO sump chambers. I don't want to overcomplicate this one.

I think I'm finally ready to pickup some cleanup crew and some tester soft coral frags at the weekend. And about time too as I'm starting to get some algae growth.

I'm already quarantining a pair of percs for the main tank, so once they are done I will start quarantine for the first fish for the nano, I'm thinking either firefish or bangaii cardinals (if I can get a pair). I'm also thinking of getting a flame hawkfish. Not sure what else - maybe a clown of some sort.

IMG_7188.thumb.jpeg.c005170eefc8395946c8e3d6b8483033.jpeg

IMG_7189.thumb.jpeg.5686176107e913c5d6def28351b1d91e.jpeg

IMG_7190.thumb.jpeg.0c196cd23eb8159fd950c825f95896e9.jpeg

• Like 1

Clean up crew (two turbos, two nassarius snails, two hermits)  and couple of softie frags (Kenya tree and mushrooms). And a bit of fully cured LR. Got some diatoms going on, but nothing major.

IMG_7217.thumb.jpeg.0a6aebb440dea293c4bac4d0bac652fb.jpeg

• Like 1