inTank Media Baskets

Nano reef contest notification

seabass

20 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

What was the max of 9 gallons requirement for? To cut out the boring standard 10 gallons we have seen for years? Or to fit with the 9-5 office theme?

Both.

11 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

can i do that with sand?

No, you can't modify the capacity of the container with rock or sand.  I'll only allow a watertight seal to affect the capacity.  Just seal off part of it as I depicted.  Then cover that with aquascaping.

mod10.jpg.03d49544038db0801fb7a684dede977b.jpg

14 minutes ago, ef4life said:

So your saying an internal ato reservoir is a ok in a 10 gallon 

I guess since automating manual top offs doesn't affect the saltwater capacity, I'll allow it.  However, capacity of the remaining container must be 9 gallons or less.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

And if somebody hasn't seen the movie Office Space, shame on you. :lol:  Go watch it!

I've seen the movie "9 to 5" but I was young then 😂.

Here's a pic from "The Office"

images.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
filefishfinatic
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

Both.

No, you can't modify the capacity of the container with rock or sand.  I'll only allow a watertight seal to affect the capacity.  Just seal off part of it as I depicted.  Then cover that with aquascaping.

mod10.jpg.03d49544038db0801fb7a684dede977b.jpg

I guess since automating manual top offs doesn't affect the saltwater capacity, I'll allow it.  However, capacity of the remaining container must be 9 gallons or less.

i think i will cut so i dont have to silicone. can i superglue tupperware to the tank?

On 9/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, filefishfinatic said:

can i superglue tupperware to the tank?

As Tired indicated, superglue isn't particularly permanent when bonding plastic to glass.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, filefishfinatic said:

i think i will cut so i dont have to silicone

It's up to you.  However, you might have to buy a couple of tanks to make one that doesn't break. :unsure:

But if ultimately covering a sealed compartment with rock and sand, your silicone work wouldn't even show; plus the tank's integrity would remain intact.

On 9/17/2021 at 9:48 AM, filefishfinatic said:

what are we putting inside the tank. i need to know now so i can cover it in mortar and make it look like it was sunken underwater

Just to clarify.  This announcement doesn't start the contest.  I'll even permit people to start modifying their tanks/containers, but they must be empty (free of aquascaping or water) when the entry photo is taken.  The object for the entry photo won't be revealed until October 1st. :ninja:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Murphych said:

I'm not entering, the wife has advised that it's one in one out tank wise. The other option is a start living in the shed... 

I tried that with my Ex in regards to horses. Still the first horse didn't go until I told her we are either going to feed the horse or feed the kids.

• Haha 4
The Rainy Day Aquarium
7 minutes ago, Murphych said:

I'm not entering, the wife has advised that it's one in one out tank wise. The other option is a start living in the shed... 

5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How cozy is the shed? 😂

Idk.....sheds these days can be pretty livable. Imagine living in something like this, sipping a hot drink, admiring your new nano reef after a long days work. All while waving to your wife from the back garden 😁

main-8cf288fcdc766ce55e15168c7b6926dae8a65a5b.jpg.44962a43427e0e8a6466ca656fd8f83b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Just now, Chowder's Reef said:

Idk.....sheds these days can be pretty livable. Imagine living in something like this, sipping a hot drink, admiring your new nano reef after a long days work. All while waving to your wife from the back garden 😁

main-8cf288fcdc766ce55e15168c7b6926dae8a65a5b.jpg.44962a43427e0e8a6466ca656fd8f83b.jpg

Yeah ive been on a trailor park boys binge lately 

• Haha 5
NoOneLikesADryTang

Thanks for putting so much work in to this Seabass, and a big thank you to CM, and inTank for putting on and sponsoring this contest! 

I can’t wait to win that plaque and flex it on the tank keeper daily! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
15 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Thanks for putting so much work in to this Seabass, and a big thank you to CM, and inTank for putting on and sponsoring this contest!

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I can’t wait to win that plaque and flex it on the tank keeper daily! 

Haha.  I think I might try for the Nano-Reef mug. 🤔

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Yeah.. my shed is a little bit shitter than that..

when I say a little bit....

• Haha 7
2 hours ago, PeterU said:

I tried that with my Ex in regards to horses. Still the first horse didn't go until I told her we are either going to feed the horse or feed the kids.

Feed the horse to the kids 🤤

• Haha 1

So I’m thinking I’m out on on this one, I already have my pico tank going that fits the parameters, and it’s on my desk too, I don’t want to just dry it out to instatank it back to what it is currently.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, PeterU said:

I've seen the movie "9 to 5"

dolly-parton-best-music-videos1.jpg

I picked out a tank

and found a location
Hope I could be the Nano-Reef champion
and get online

but am shocked, by the price

Turn on the power
And the pumps start pumpin'
An uncovered tank
And the fish start jumpin'
It's folks like us nano-reefin' 9 to 5

Reefin' 9 to 5
Workin' hard to keep things livin'
It's barely gettin' by
Still we find it all upliftin'
Now it's lookin' fine
Even you got to admit it
Still enough to drive you crazy
if you let it

Reefin' 9 to 5

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, ef4life said:

So I’m thinking I’m out on on this one, I already have my pico tank going that fits the parameters, and it’s on my desk too, I don’t want to just dry it out to instatank it back to what it is currently.

Well I was thinking about that too… my 365 contest tank is a 5 gallon tank in my home office and still running… 

• Like 3

I figure that a lot of the livestock that will be used in this contest, will be taken from other running tanks.  So I wouldn't necessarily disallow running tanks, which are completely broken down for the entry pic, and then set back up.  However, hopefully, there would be some sort of plan to change and/or improve it.  IDK, maybe just using frags from this tank (and the tank itself); or better yet, just use frags from the current tank, in a cool and unconventional container.

• Like 8

I like the cool and unconventional container idea.  I'm not sure I want to commit to another tank but if I come across something really cool and unusual, I just might go for it.  I was hoping for the elimination rounds so I wouldn't have to necessarily commit long term :lol:.  These contest are so much fun to be involved in.  I'll still enjoy watching even if I don't participate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Here's how I'm personally thinking about it.  For me (and I realize that everyone is different), I plan to setup something to hopefully grow out frags.  These frags will then either go into one of my other tanks, or end up being sold.  I'm not really thinking about keeping this one long term; but I know that some people will want to do just that (as there are a number of quality aquariums which would fit in this range).

For my goals, I'm considering the 5 gallon bucket option, or maybe even a carboy (which I might have to break open after the contest is done).  I'm still very much unsure what my entry might be, but we have until the end of November to enter.

• Like 6