Jump to content
ahud

Final Try at Reefing

Recommended Posts

Ratvan
5 minutes ago, ahud said:

Update:

 

Polarized glasses came in and.....I can't tell anything. Looked through my rimless tank, some aqeon 40 breeders I have, my shop windows, everything looks the same....Maybe its the glasses I bought, they have a blue tint. Someone said try a polarized lens for a camera, might try that. When I rotate the glasses, they get darker, but they never completely black out. 

 

Purchased two AI Prime HD used with mounts used. Tang mentioned I could spray paint these, so I am going to look into that once they arrive and I confirm they work appropriately. 

 

I have some work to do in my detached garage (75 ft from the house), adding a sink and setting up the RO/DI stuff out there. I'll have to carry water inside the house, but that can't be helped. The wife and I agreed that all fish junk stays in my space lol. She had no issue with the reef tank going into my office, so I'll try and keep the attached garage fish free as thanks.

did you put another polarised device (like a cell phone or tablet) on the other side of the glass when you were testing them?

Share this post


Link to post
ahud
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

did you put another polarised device (like a cell phone or tablet) on the other side of the glass when you were testing them?

Yeah, I tried my Iphone and chromebook. Same look each time, the screen darkens as I turn the glasses, but never blacks out. 

 

The glasses are wildly blue tinted, I did not realize it was that blue....Wondering if that is throwing it off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
3 minutes ago, ahud said:

Yeah, I tried my Iphone and chromebook. Same look each time, the screen darkens as I turn the glasses, but never blacks out. 

 

The glasses are wildly blue tinted, I did not realize it was that blue....Wondering if that is throwing it off.

Possibly, do you have a cell phone repair store near you? Might be a budget friendly option

Screenshot_20210921-185105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6202abac482a7b07ca08a2ede208a75a.jpg

 

I picked a couple up today myself for attempt 2 of drilling

Share this post


Link to post
ahud
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Possibly, do you have a cell phone repair store near you? Might be a budget friendly option

Screenshot_20210921-185105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6202abac482a7b07ca08a2ede208a75a.jpg

 

I picked a couple up today myself for attempt 2 of drilling

I think there are a few in town. 

 

Second attempt...did you explode one?

Share this post


Link to post
Ratvan
4 minutes ago, ahud said:

I think there are a few in town. 

 

Second attempt...did you explode one?

Yeah was so close to going through too, only a 5g

Share this post


Link to post
ahud
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yeah was so close to going through too, only a 5g

Ouch, well at least it was not anything large. 

 

Interesting, I just looked through the polarized glasses at my desktop monitor and they black out when you turn them...suppose the Chromebook, Ipad, and Iphone did not have enough polarization?

Share this post


Link to post
ahud

Work laptop blacked out too. Tested that and every piece of glass I can find blacks out...shower door...aquariums..windows..Now I need a piece of glass that I know is tempered so I can compare.

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
29 minutes ago, ahud said:

Work laptop blacked out too. Tested that and every piece of glass I can find blacks out...shower door...aquariums..windows..Now I need a piece of glass that I know is tempered so I can compare.

Passenger windows (not the windshield or back window) are usually tempered glass on cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
ahud

I found one of our glass refrigerator shelves and looked through it at my monitor and I see the squigly black lines! So thats tempered. It APPEARS the landen aquarium is not tempered. 

 

Man, I am terrified to drill it. I'm going to get my wife to look and compare...The Amazon seller says all tanks are tempered...but I have found other peoples build threads with Landen 60P's that they drilled. So the amazon seller is wrong at least in some cases. 

 

So if I am drilling, are there any overflow boxes that are not black? The black distracts me..I remember a TOTM nano that had a white overflow box that was really slick. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
ahud
6 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Passenger windows (not the windshield or back window) are usually tempered glass on cars. 

Will run try that next...I better get some work done...way to excited about this reef.

Share this post


Link to post
ahud

What do you think of mounting this white modular marine overflow on the side of the tank? One side will be near a wall, so the tank is viewable mostly from two sides. 
 

if I go this route, I could have just the overflow box and a mp40 on the side nearest the wall. Maybe not as clean as MikeyMikeMike’s glassware?

 

the bad thing about glass lily pipes is they are fragile. They break and can cut you bad. Ask how I know. I had switched to stainless steel inputs for that reason, but they wont hold up in salt.
 

image.thumb.png.7daa1710104bb052c8c9a77acf87a96f.png

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol

You could also go for something more discrete like @Scorchedreef.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
ahud
43 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

You could also go for something more discrete like @Scorchedreef.

 

I like how that setup looks inside, but the dark pipe on the side draws my eyes..It is really hard to come back from Rimless planted aquaria with lily pipes...I'm used to that elegant look and nothing being in the tank..

 

Maybe it would not be as noticable if the tank was not so short. Do you know what that overflow design is called?

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol

 

1 hour ago, ahud said:

I like how that setup looks inside, but the dark pipe on the side draws my eyes..It is really hard to come back from Rimless planted aquaria with lily pipes...I'm used to that elegant look and nothing being in the tank..

You could do transparent pipe, but that would need regular cleaning as reef light are more powerful than planted tank light.

IMG_3914.png.26a543d7a0b7ece539c6bdc14408977a.png

1 hour ago, ahud said:

Do you know what that overflow design is called?

🤷‍♂️, an overflow?

The only commercial brand that does similarly overflow that I know of is "Oceanlife"

overflow3.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
ahud

@M. Tournesol

 

Thank you. You have been a huge help.

 

I may not be able to decide on the "canister with lily pipes" versus "overflow box with sump" until I get the stand built and the tank in place. Hopefully that will help me see what would look best. 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol

good luck 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ahud

And thanks to everybody. I'll start a build thread once I get going. Will probably take me a little while as I source goodies and build the stand...keep waiting for wood prices to go down, sheesh.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw

I'm not on my final try, but did a reset today after having an issue last week that frustrated the heck out of me.  Lost 2 new fish and a new Gorgonian within a week.  1 jumper, one probably died from Ammonia spile & Stress, and the Gorgo died in there too. 

 

My tank has been mediocre since I started with back and forth direction.  Found a local coral store where the owner is walking me through step by step and hoping I can work this out.  The main difference today is I'm dosing daily phytoplanktn  Will be interesting to see how things go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ahud
19 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

I'm not on my final try, but did a reset today after having an issue last week that frustrated the heck out of me.  Lost 2 new fish and a new Gorgonian within a week.  1 jumper, one probably died from Ammonia spile & Stress, and the Gorgo died in there too. 

 

My tank has been mediocre since I started with back and forth direction.  Found a local coral store where the owner is walking me through step by step and hoping I can work this out.  The main difference today is I'm dosing daily phytoplanktn  Will be interesting to see how things go.

Sorry for your troubles. I have been there. 

 

Granted, I don't have much reef experience to speak of, but what your doing (following one person) for sure changed my planted tank experience. Instead of listening to 100 different ways to skin the proverbial cat, I found one person who lined up with my own goals and implemented their method. Seems like that is a easier path to follow until you develop the "eye test" to do things your own way. 

 

Hope the new approach works for you! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Jakesaw
52 minutes ago, ahud said:

Sorry for your troubles. I have been there. 

 

Granted, I don't have much reef experience to speak of, but what your doing (following one person) for sure changed my planted tank experience. Instead of listening to 100 different ways to skin the proverbial cat, I found one person who lined up with my own goals and implemented their method. Seems like that is a easier path to follow until you develop the "eye test" to do things your own way. 

 

Hope the new approach works for you! 

 

We'll see.  Everybody is different though in terms of " goals ", " budget ", " interest in livestock ".  That makes it kindof hard to follow one person, you can't really line up all of the above.  That's why I am sticking with learning coral health right now.

 

I feel I could keep a few fish and live rock ok just fine with water changes, fish temperment, tank size, slowly adding new fish without  much problem. 

 

My biggest problem recently was too many changes in livestock / feeding/ filtration at once.  It came b/c I let my general fishkeeping guard down and let a LFS guy talk me into taking home 2 fish instead of 1, b/c he threw in a discount for the second fish and I liked the fish swim behavior.  Then a coral became available that I had been waiting for in same timeframe. 

 

We'll see, but I"m still in my hobby evaluation period.  I like it, but at times it goes from enjoyable to frustrating.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ahud

I have an additional question pop up.

 

If I do go the canister route, and down the road (1 year, 3, etc) I run into issues with nitrate and phosphate. Could I solve that problem with chemical media? Zeovit, GFO, carbon, etc? My tank is about 50 gallons, so I don't want water changes to be my sole method of lowering nitrate/phosphate.

 

My hesitation with the canister is I feel like without the flexibility of a sump, my options are limited in the long haul. No skimmer, no refugium. Technically, I can run a algae reactor inline with the canister. But in practice, I don't know how big of an issue I will run into trying to get air purged out of inline items since its all on a closed loop. If I add a prefilter, canister, and then an algae reactor, I think purging air after maintenance might start being a pain.

 

This is one of those things I don't have experience doing, so I need some guidance.

 

Would this even be a likely scenario once corals grow in and start sucking up nitrate/phos? Assuming I follow common sense and not stock fish like crazy.

 

Edited to add:

This comes up because after researching some SPS, it looks like Birdnest might be doable? I would really like to try it for the higher spots of my scape. 

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol
31 minutes ago, ahud said:

If I do go the canister route, and down the road (1 year, 3, etc) I run into issues with nitrate and phosphate. Could I solve that problem with chemical media? Zeovit, GFO, carbon, etc? My tank is about 50 gallons, so I don't want water changes to be my sole method of lowering nitrate/phosphate.

Yes, but having a bag of filter media in the tank will be unsightly.

32 minutes ago, ahud said:

My hesitation with the canister is I feel like without the flexibility of a sump, my options are limited in the long haul. No skimmer, no refugium. Technically, I can run a algae reactor inline with the canister. But in practice, I don't know how big of an issue I will run into trying to get air purged out of inline items since its all on a closed loop. If I add a prefilter, canister, and then an algae reactor, I think purging air after maintenance might start being a pain.

I don't really have a problem with air, just squeezing the tubing or tilting the canister generally is enough to remove most go the air. But I must point out that is don't have media in my canister and that my tank is only a 8 gallon.

35 minutes ago, ahud said:

Would this even be a likely scenario once corals grow in and start sucking up nitrate/phos? Assuming I follow common sense and not stock fish like crazy.

Corals naturally consume nitrate and phosphate. Bigger corals = bigger intake.

 

You should just go for a sump. I think you are not comfortable with non conventional method (canister). Having a peaceful mine is super important 😉

Share this post


Link to post
ahud
16 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Yes, but having a bag of filter media in the tank will be unsightly.

I don't really have a problem with air, just squeezing the tubing or tilting the canister generally is enough to remove most go the air. But I must point out that is don't have media in my canister and that my tank is only a 8 gallon.

Corals naturally consume nitrate and phosphate. Bigger corals = bigger intake.

 

You should just go for a sump. I think you are not comfortable with non conventional method (canister). Having a peaceful mine is super important 😉

Haha, you are not wrong. I really do mean this will be my last reef if I end up breaking it down, so I want to be sure my plan is a good one.

 

I would run the media in the canister. I guess I am just looking to make sure I have some weapons for the various problems that crop up during reefing. If I had to guess, the canister is a lower success option in the long run. But it also solves all my concerns with noise. I can't take noise, trickling, humming, etc. Bothers me.

Share this post


Link to post
M. Tournesol
29 minutes ago, ahud said:

If I had to guess, the canister is a lower success option in the long run. 

You don't even really need filtration in a reef tank if you have a good amount of live rock. Generally, in an established tank, the skimmer is used less and less as the corals grow and the tank biology stabilizes.

 

But if you want a negative space aquascape, having a sump is better as you biological filtration will be lesser in the DT.

 

If still want to go canister and you really have a problem with nutrient, you could still run an in tank skimmer (like the Tunze Comline® DOC Skimmer 9004)

9004.000.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
ahud

Its hard to tell from pictures, but do you get that gin clear water without mechanical filtration? I had planned on running carbon on as needed basis for that reason as well. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...