Coral Vue Hydros

Final Try at Reefing

ahud

Would it look odd to have one AI Prime? Normally, I don't think I would have corals at the periphery of the tank. I'm planning on a triangle style layout similar to NanoReef User Hey, he had a TOTM in 2015 and was one of the reasons I decided to give this another shot. So one side of the tank will not have coral, just sand for the negative space.

13 minutes ago, ahud said:

Would it look odd to have one AI Prime? Normally, I don't think I would have corals at the periphery of the tank. I'm planning on a triangle style layout similar to NanoReef User Hey, he had a TOTM in 2015 and was one of the reasons I decided to give this another shot. So one side of the tank will not have coral, just sand for the negative space.

I ran 1 prime on my tank which was 20g. That was an bta and lps tank

The longest 1 single puck will properly cover is 24", the strongest par is within 18" so you'd want to put low light corals outside of 18".

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I ran 1 prime on my tank which was 20g. That was an bta and lps tank

The longest 1 single puck will properly cover is 24", the strongest par is within 18" so you'd want to put low light corals outside of 18".

Ok thanks. May still opt for two if I can find the HD’s. Most of what I see is the 16. 

17 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

You’ll probably have to buy used, if you decide you want the HDs. 

Im leaning used anyway to keep lower. I checked out R2r and there is a ton of stuff there. That site is new to me. 

too bad Im late in the year. usually summer is when people bail and sell. 

Im not in a rush this time. Will order my rock and cycle it in a container. Then take my time planning my aquascape. 

Found some disappointing info. The Landen aquarium I have is supposedly tempered on all panels. Im going to try some of the test with polarized glasses and and a screen. 

I will have to decide what to do if its tempered…new tank or try out a canister. 

• Like 1

"So this is my last shot, if I get out if it this time I am done."

😏

Agree on the daylight look over windex!

I hope you get another tank that makes reefing easier so youl'll enjoy it and stick it out.  I can't stand canisters in my fw builds.

I have the Prime 16 hd, and did melt my lens while programming it this year.  My corals haven't noticed, but they are easy/beginner coral. 

Best of luck.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, growsomething said:

"So this is my last shot, if I get out if it this time I am done."

😏

Agree on the daylight look over windex!

I hope you get another tank that makes reefing easier so youl'll enjoy it and stick it out.  I can't stand canisters in my fw builds.

I have the Prime 16 hd, and did melt my lens while programming it this year.  My corals haven't noticed, but they are easy/beginner coral. 

Best of luck.

Thank you. 

I’m leaning new tank if I can’t drill the landen. Been reading about canisters in reef tanks. Looks like its doable, but extra cleaning is required. I hate breaking open canisters. But they are super clean and quiet! 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ahud said:

Thank you. 

I’m leaning new tank if I can’t drill the landen. Been reading about canisters in reef tanks. Looks like its doable, but extra cleaning is required. I hate breaking open canisters. But they are super clean and quiet! 

If you do go the cannister route i would recommend that you go for two of the same size, that way you can just swap them out. Clean the used one and have it ready for the next time you need to clean. I've used them in the past and only for flow (maybe a small amount of carbon depending on water and some floss) 

For me they have never needed more cleaning than a HOB filter or an AIO section 

10 minutes ago, ahud said:

Thank you. 

I use mine as a cryptic zone. No need to open it as it contains some big rock pieces that don't restrict the flow.

You could also go with the option of not using a sump or canister filter and have the heater in the DT.

What about the protein skimmer? Looks like some people don’t run them and just do water changes. But surely the skimmer makes things a bit more flexible as far as not getting into trouble if you miss a water change?

Edit:

and the auto top off issue…hard to go on away trips for a few days without one. 

personally i have never used one, i dont feed heavy and rely on water changes and macro and corals as my nutrient uptake and removal. I like my tanks simple, heat, light, water movement and i'm done. Also not really a sticks guy.

I personally would run one if;

My Mantis gets a lot larger and regularly hordes rotting food

I kept something like a Lionfish in a 30G

I ran a NPS tank and had to feed heavy and constant

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

An auto top-off can also be put into your display tank.

A third option is to convert your tank into an all-in-one tank. Lot of DIY solutions or commercial kit (https://www.fijicubesupply.com/category-s/144.htm).

I don’t think the AIO will work. The tanks dimensions are weird. I know I called it a 40 breeder, but its really 39.37x17.7x17.7. 

None of my sunglasses were polarized…had to order some Off amazon. So waiting to see. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

If you go for a new tank. what will be the dimension?

Probably close to the same. If I had to go custom I may go a little wider and take a few inches off the height. But that is the most expensive option 😞

Im going to put the tank in my office and I think the 3ft size looks the best with the wall space I have. 

I have not completely written off the canister route. I had a skimmer one time and remember it being loud.  

breaking down the canisters once a month would be fine. But not every week or two. 

• Like 2

@M. Tournesol

Thanks for the MikeyMikeMike video. He has an interesting top off method that would solve that issue. Kinda scary trying to calculate evaporation, but I think with time you would figure out the rates for each season. 

he makes me consider the canister route hard. His reef is the cleanest one I have ever seen. He rivals the planted aquascape folks. 

• Like 1

You don't have to have a sump, filter, or skimmer.

Many ppl don't have any of this or just 1 of these.

You could simply do a large hob and hide the heater in there or convert it to a refugium.

Not everyone runs into high nutrient levels. A lot of us have the complete opposite problem.

An overly sterile tank is not a healthy tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

It's also too scary for me 🤣 

Lol. I think at first I would run his setup from a smart outlet. Ill just manually turn the dosing pump on and off from my phone until I get a feel for the usage. 

Canisters on a reef are just so new of a concept to me. Trying to find other tanks that run this way and see what maintenance is done. It is cheaper for sure..less cluttered, quieter and I can use my current rimless tank. 

Hate to go that route and get burned out on maintenance.

Do what Ratvan said, use it just for flow, not for filtration.  Many of us use no filtration.  Wvreefer has only a pump for movement, and a heater in both a 12g and a 75.  I'd be interested in seeing how the setup functions with a canister.  The only reason we have to clean them so much in fw is the multitudes of internal sponges and "polishing" fabrics that come with Fluvals etc, and "dirty" fish like angels.

• Thanks 1

As @Ratvan and @growsomething say, you don't have to use it conventionally.

Photos of my Eheim classic cryptic zone (don't look at the aiptasia 😣, it because I started with 100% live rock). For maintenance, when I have the courage once every x months, I open it to clean the impeller.

IMG_3902.thumb.png.2bbb7c7ddcca24ed8dfd3cce22c08bbf.pngIMG_3903.thumb.png.07f5f72c4735a61867623f09baccea7e.png

Edited by M. Tournesol
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
50 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

As @Ratvan and @growsomething say, you don't have to use it conventionally.

Photos of my Eheim classic cryptic zone (don't look at the aiptasia 😣, it because I started with 100% live rock). For maintenance, when I have the courage once every x months, I open it to clean the impeller.

IMG_3902.thumb.png.2bbb7c7ddcca24ed8dfd3cce22c08bbf.pngIMG_3903.thumb.png.07f5f72c4735a61867623f09baccea7e.png

Is the Eheim canister clear?  That is an excellent idea for canisters!