NathanielZuniga

What is this mucus covering my Pandora Zoas

NathanielZuniga

These Pandora Zoas have only been in my tank for about a week now. They were dipped and drip acclimated. Two of the polyps have opened up and shown beautiful color, but the rest have stayed closed and have been producing a thin coat of cloudy white stringy mucus (If you look closely in the picture, you can see that the top most polyp is practically encased in a thin coat of it. It’s very hard to see, sorry bout that :/). 377ECAC1-D3D5-4A44-8589-BEFA48211C06.thumb.jpeg.ec601b605c7b659575b1856612cdc5f1.jpegAt first I suspected they were producing mucus due to stress of being shipped and being in a new environment, but I’m now considering other possibilities. I’ve read a lot of posts of people getting infestations of this white fungus/bacteria that will coat and encase over zoas and wipe out entire colonies. If this is the case, I would love y’all’s opinion on what steps I need to take next. I’ve heard about people dosing vitamin c into their tank and apparently it has proven to help with this problem. I’ve also heard dipping with peroxide or furan 2 can help, or even just blowing the mucus off with a turkey baster. The thing is, I’m really not too sure about what this stuff is and I don’t want to jump to any fast conclusions. What do y’all say this is and how should I deal with it? Water parameters are all perfect, other corals seem to be doing just fine.

Tired

They might just be annoyed and sliming as a result. Look for vermatids and aiptasia around the polyps, and gently blow the stuff off with a baster. Try to catch it in the baster and throw it out in case it is infectious. An iodine dip won't go amiss, zoas love iodine. 

mcarroll
On 9/16/2021 at 6:30 PM, NathanielZuniga said:

These Pandora Zoas have only been in my tank for about a week now. They were dipped and drip acclimated. Two of the polyps have opened up and shown beautiful color, but the rest have stayed closed and have been producing a thin coat of cloudy white stringy mucus

IMO you pissed them off with all the handling and chemical dipping....and zoo's are temperamental to begin with.  Results like this should be expected IMO.

How is the tank where they are being held?   Tell us about it....age, water parameters, everything.