Top Shelf Aquatics

Goby thoughts?

tidepooldreamer

tidepooldreamer

I'm planning on a pistol shrimp/goby pair for my IM 14. I settled on the tangaroa goby as my top choice, but I'm wondering how frequently available it is? It certainly doesn't seem very common in the hobby.

Does anybody have any experience with this fish - especially when it comes to ease of feeding?

I like the look of the orange spotted goby (A. guttata) and the highfin/yellow nose (S. nematodes) as well - would either of them be easier to get hold of, or easier to take frozen/pellet food?

Would love to hear any thoughts or experience with any of these! Thanks very much 🙂

I can only give you feedback on my now dead Stonogobiops nematodes (get a lid).
The fish is often available, the real rarity is to find a pair (at least in Europe). Mine was very fearful. It only had a bit of courage next to his now dead pistol shrimp (thanks "live rock" for the mantis shrimp😢). It wasn't eating any pellets but eat frozen food directly from the feeding pipette.

• Like 1

I have never seen that goby here.

I had an orange spotted goby, awesome guy. Loved it.

Get a tight fitting lid or double up your mesh lid so the openings are smaller.

My goby jumped, made it through the 1/4" mesh and died.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

I’ve seen one, at a LFS, it was much larger than I expected it to be, and I didn’t think it was as pretty in person as it is in pictures. It may have been an older one, and possibly they lose some of their coloring as they age. 

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer
36 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I have never seen that goby here.

I had an orange spotted goby, awesome guy. Loved it.

Get a tight fitting lid or double up your mesh lid so the openings are smaller.

My goby jumped, made it through the 1/4" mesh and died.

Thanks - doubling up the mesh is on my agenda already. I wasn't sure if the stock lid would be fine as is but had an inkling the holes would be too big. Sorry about your little guy!

8 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I’ve seen one, at a LFS, it was much larger than I expected it to be, and I didn’t think it was as pretty in person as it is in pictures. It may have been an older one, and possibly they lose some of their coloring as they age. 

That's good to know, thanks! I have loosely had one "on order" at my LFS for a few months now (had to ask them to hold off as we are having some work done on the house and I didn't want to deal with a new fish during all the chaos!) but I'm thinking I might let them know I'm open to some other goby species as well...

1 hour ago, M. Tournesol said:

I can only give you feedback on my now dead Stonogobiops nematodes (get a cover).
The fish is often available, the real rarity is to find a pair (at least in Europe). Mine was very fearful. It only had a bit of courage next to his now dead pistol shrimp (thanks "live rock" for the mantis shrimp😢). It wasn't eating any pellets but eat frozen food directly from the feeding pipette.

I'm glad to hear it took frozen well! Sorry to hear he jumped 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would personally lean towards the highfin goby or yasha goby with a candycane shrimp.. due to the small size and entertainment value. I kept both in the past and they ate pretty much whatever i offered. 

• Like 2

If you live in the states then the tangaroa while uncommon is not rare and you can obtain it with some patience. My LFS gets them and they seem fairly bold and easy to feed. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If you live in the states then the tangaroa while uncommon is not rare and you can obtain it with some patience. My LFS gets them and they seem fairly bold and easy to feed. 

^This.

Tangaroas are actually quite amazing little fish. I have one and he's very bold. He only retreats back into his burrow when the lights go out. :happy:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I had a tangaroa and he was the easiest to feed. Pellets and just about any frozen food. He was not shy and would perch all around the tank.  His tank mate was an assessor and they got on fine.

• Like 1