ReefCleaners.org

Bread’s Nuvo 20 Dropoff

less than bread

less than bread

Got another mushroom and zoa. Not sure if the mushroom has a cool name but it’s super bright neon green which I like.B3067948-C939-499D-83EA-0CD1931FBD48.thumb.jpeg.fa33e2472f780fa8a1e799509cc0bb37.jpeg

The zoa is awesome looking. The guy at the LFS said it’s a Firecracker Zoa but after doing some research, I think it looks more like a Ring of Fire Zoa.

4EB675AB-68BA-49C7-BB66-6F812CF450C7.thumb.jpeg.9b23a3ede509456a0afdcdcd3b1bc634.jpeg

• Like 3
less than bread
11 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

How are all the new corals setting in @less than bread? Torch corals feeling less harassed by the clownfish?

For the most part it's been good. One of the three torches looks like it has died. Not sure why it did when the others right next to it are fine, didn't see any pests on it or anything. The clown has settled down now. At first she was really rough with the torches, but now she's much calmer and it looks like it will be a great relationship.

I did have some SPS (acro, monti cap, monti digi, and birdsnest) but they all have died. I'll probably wait a while, get things more stable and try again with those. I'm just loving watching the corals that are settled start to thrive and I think I'm leaving the "ugly" stage. Had a bunch of gha, sea lettuce, and bubble algae and all are slowly dying back

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
less than bread

Something pretty interesting is happening with my clownfish. As I have observed them I was thinking this could happen and now it finally is.

So somewhat of a story: I originally bought 2 juvenile ocellaris clownfish back in June 2021. One was slightly bigger than the other and she soon became the dominant one in the tank. A couple months went by like this until the smaller one died in an unfortunate siphoning accident... so for a couple more months, the larger one was alone. Then I introduced a new clownfish that is not a standard ocellaris, I can't remember what it is (it's more yellow that fades to black a couple white strips and a white dot). Anyway, I got it because it looked cool and more importantly, was slightly smaller than the existing clown. I wanted to ensure the existing clown remained the larger, dominant one of the tank. Which is exactly how it went. The bigger, existing clown chased the new guy around and then he finally submitted. Life was good.

Fast forward and couple more months: I notice the newer clown is starting to grow fast, so much so that he was nearly the same size as the existing clown. Now as more time has gone on, the new clown has become noticeably bigger which got me thinking that a change in hierarchy was coming. Sure enough, just today, the roles have switched. The newer now bigger clown is chasing the other around and has taken over their favorite torch garden. I will keep monitoring and providing updates as the revolution develops.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
less than bread

Added a six line wrasse today. So far things have actually gone pretty well. Davy Jones (see above) has pretty much asserted dominance and has drawn a line around her favorite torch garden. The wrasse has staked a claim further up in the tank in a nice cave it can swim in, out, and around.

0ABB37E2-5BB7-4A04-8B48-087103844661.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
less than bread

So I've been trying to figure out something I could use my extra tank for (besides collecting rainwater on my patio) and I've decided to try my hand at raising brine shrimp to adulthood. The overall process seems very simple and inexpensive but successfully getting them to adulthood and keeping them alive appears to sometimes be a challenge, which I enjoy. It's something I hope my kids will think is cool, and even though apparently adult brine shrimp don't have much nutritional value, I think my fish would still enjoy going after something live along with their normal flakes and frozen food

• Like 1
less than bread

Going to try my hand at splitting and fragging my Forest Fire Mushrooms this week. I know mushrooms are pretty good at fragging themselves but I want to move them to another location in the tank and possibly see what a trade in/selling value is

05971EEC-811F-4801-9161-E8EC50B4DF6D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
less than bread

So unfortunately need some guidance on running a coral-only tank. My fish are all gone except for one that I will probably have to euthanize soon due to what I think is ich. I still have meat eating inverts so I will feed a bit of fish food to them each day and I target feed reef roids each week. I have been doing 20% water changes every week though now I’m sure that need will decrease, I’m just not sure how much. I’ll probably go down to 10% each week and see how my levels look. After the last fish is gone (hoping for a miracle, but you know…), I’ll go 3 months without fish and then start over again

• Sad 3
  • 3 months later...
less than bread

Been gone for a while. Lost all my fish in May and then over the last couple months many of my corals started going downhill. I just think the sudden loss of all the fish threw things out of whack. Any way, I did a bit of a cleaning, rescaped and just got 2 new snowflake clownfish today! Hope things go better this time around.

1965DFCF-928D-4C80-B920-F1876CCD5DC9.thumb.jpeg.24ed83d06bf077b8398ff19320f4b137.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
less than bread

It’s been a bit but I’ve been laying low and not doing much in the last few months. Letting the new fish get settled. These 2 are absolutely vicious. Any time I come near the tank they come right up to the glass and just stare at me. Then when I enter the tank, they both immediately attack my hand. They never fight with each other though so they must have figured it out at the store

Anyway, big thing today is I got them a small bubble tip nem. This is my first one besides rock flowers and so far it looks happy and it ate as well. It was sold to me as a rainbow but I think it’s actually a rose bubble tip

F9FB793C-1525-46FB-BB50-FD648C47226C.jpeg

• Like 3
less than bread

Mostly just working on the zoa garden right now. I have a couple other frags that are trying to survive after the mass extinction event that occurred a while back. Want to see which ones actually make it before I plan the rest of the scape. But here’s a full picture. Clownfish are happy and active (aka they love to bite me)

5792C33A-B0CC-4FAC-B78F-957B3A0ECBCF.jpeg

BB74FF26-92DA-4B3A-83EB-E50675A3E41C.jpeg

• Like 4