Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bread’s Nuvo 20 Dropoff

less than bread

less than bread

Time to start the thread for my new tank. For the last few months I’ve been learning a ton on a stock Fluval 13.5, slowly improving the way I do things, especially how to adjust dosing (manual) based on parameter readings, what “low, medium, or high” means for light and flow, and not putting rocks too close to the glass if I ever want to clean it…

A couple weeks ago I made the jump and purchased a very cool IM Nuvo Fusion 20g concept peninsula. This tank features a unique dropoff shape so the back of the display sits on a shelf. Should offer great options for scaping. Since then I’ve purchased a power head (Jaebo SLW-10), and the stand is on its way (decided to go with the Biocube 32 stand since the price was good and I like being able to have some space next to the tank to set things down). I will be ordering 20lbs of live rock from Salty Bottom Reef and will pick up 20 lbs of live sand from my LFS.

The last major hurdle I need to figure out is lighting… I like the look and ease of the lights on arms that clamp on to the side of the tank. I will primarily be growing lps and softies in this tank so not looking for anything crazy in terms of PAR but I do like the idea of a programmable unit I can set a full schedule to. I will keep looking as the other materials come in but if anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears. Would like to stay under $150 for the light and mount

• Like 4
less than bread

One thing I haven't quite grasped is if there are simple ways to keep glass spotless like you see in the Youtube videos. In those tanks and beautiful tanks in stores, the glass is pristine. Does this just come down to needing to diligently clean the glass manually or are there things you can add to the tank such as CUC animals that stay on the glass or running a UV sterilizer that keeps it clean?

22 minutes ago, less than bread said:

One thing I haven't quite grasped is if there are simple ways to keep glass spotless like you see in the Youtube videos. In those tanks and beautiful tanks in stores, the glass is pristine. Does this just come down to needing to diligently clean the glass manually or are there things you can add to the tank such as CUC animals that stay on the glass or running a UV sterilizer that keeps it clean?

Use a magnetic scraper like the flipper. I do it every time I look at my tank.  Your IM tank should have came with one, most do. 

less than bread
51 minutes ago, mcashatt01 said:

Use a magnetic scraper like the flipper. I do it every time I look at my tank.  Your IM tank should have came with one, most do. 

Sounds good. I believe there is one in there. Haven’t taken it out of the box yet. Waiting for the stand to get here so I have a place to put it

less than bread

I would also like to add another fish to go along with a clownfish pair. I know in a 20 gallon, I'm kind of limited in the fish department but I was thinking a blenny would probably be fine. Any other fish I could possibly add to this tank if I had 2 clowns and a blenny?

Another avenue I think would be cool would be a goby and pistol shrimp pair, although from what I read, my tank might not be big enough for a goby. From what I've seen you want more like 30 gallons for those...

1 hour ago, less than bread said:

I would also like to add another fish to go along with a clownfish pair. I know in a 20 gallon, I'm kind of limited in the fish department but I was thinking a blenny would probably be fine. Any other fish I could possibly add to this tank if I had 2 clowns and a blenny?

Another avenue I think would be cool would be a goby and pistol shrimp pair, although from what I read, my tank might not be big enough for a goby. From what I've seen you want more like 30 gallons for those...

Hmmm, there are many Goby's that will do well in a tank that size. First ones that come to mind are clown goby, hi fin, yellow watchman, neon, yasha, etc. The goby family is probably the most reccomended for nano's but there are some that need more space. You can definitely do a goby and pistol pair.

• Like 1
less than bread

Now comes the process of layout. Obviously going to use the shelf to my advantage. The lighting I’m looking at is not going to be high end and I haven’t been doing this for very long so mainly lps and softies.

Scape, I love the idea of making kind of like a stadium effect with rock built up on the back and right side of the tank increasing in height as it moves away from center.

Fish I’m thinking a clown pair that hopefully would host one of my euphyllia and maybe a goby to pair with a pistol shrimp. That way the clowns can have the upper portion of the tank while the goby and pistol have the bottom sand bed. Not sure if I could put any other fish in a 20.

less than bread

Would love some suggestions for lights. Do not plan on keeping SPS so don’t need anything super high PAR.

The main thing I’m looking for though is something controllable, something I can set an automated schedule to. Would love to stay under $200.

less than bread

Pulled the trigger and went with the Current USA Orbit r24. A bit over my budget of 200 with the mounting arm but I think I'll be much happier with an app controllable light. Plus I love that it has a flexible arm for precision light placement.

Update on the live rock. Ordered a package of 25lbs from Salty Bottom Reef. Only interesting thing is I might have to drive to the airport to pick it up which would not be ideal.

The only thing left to get is sand which is a piece of cake. My lfs sells 20lbs bags of live sand that I use in my current tank and like.

Complete Equipment Rundown:

Tank: Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Concept Pro 20 AIO

Stand: Coralife Designer Biocube Stand

Heater: Aqueon 150w preset

UV Sterilizer (May or may not use): Coospider UV Green Killer

Powerhead: Jebao SLW-10

Light: Current USA Orbit r24 

• Like 1
less than bread

Decided to cancel my live rock order with Salty Bottom Reef. Getting to the airport from where I live as soon as the rock arrives to avoid die off would just not be possible. Customer service was awesome. Seems like a really cool company that are passionate about what they do.

Placed an order for some “reef building rock” from Saltwater Aquarium. Saved some money and it will obviously be delivered to my door. I like watching the rock come to life in its own time anyway. Will be using live sand and will probably bring over a couple pieces of rock in my current tank to help out

• Like 2
less than bread
3 hours ago, Murphych said:

I was going to get the clearseal drop off. But the drop off part is just so deep it's hard to work with... Whats the depth of the drop on that tank mate?

The drop off itself is about 6.5 in (16.5 cm).

Depth on the shelf is 10.5 in (27 cm) and the bottom is about 17 in (43 cm) deep

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
less than bread

So as I’m getting this new tank going, I’m thinking of how I want to set up the filtration. It came with a nice media basket I would like to utilize. Apart from floss right after the overflow and carbon somewhere, I’m kind of debating on what I want to do. Only the overflow area is separated from the rest of it, so there’s lots of space to add. Not really a fan of having a skimmer, honestly don’t think it’s necessary and messes with the look but if anyone has a good suggestion, I wouldn’t say no

B07BFC97-8529-4AFD-B51E-F1A9F6D3C9CC.jpeg

This looks like a nice start. 

I can only share my experience as a lazy reefer. After testing different things in my AIO tanks, I went with :

• Floss and sometimes carbon in a media basket, just like you 
  • Chaeto and a light in the second chamber
  • ATO / heater / return in the third 

Chaeto tends to help with my overfeeding habit and acts like a refugium if you don't mess with it.

I find it easy to take care of, I just have to get half the chaeto out of the tank every 2 to 3 months to let it grow again. 

Hope this helps

less than bread
6 hours ago, gen said:

This looks like a nice start. 

I can only share my experience as a lazy reefer. After testing different things in my AIO tanks, I went with :

• Floss and sometimes carbon in a media basket, just like you 
  • Chaeto and a light in the second chamber
  • ATO / heater / return in the third 

Chaeto tends to help with my overfeeding habit and acts like a refugium if you don't mess with it.

I find it easy to take care of, I just have to get half the chaeto out of the tank every 2 to 3 months to let it grow again. 

Hope this helps

Excellent. Thank you. I am looking to stay lower maintenance if I can. Is there a light you’d recommend for the chaeto?

I'm using a cheap Amazon light. It can be used both outside or inside the tank. 

I wasn't sure to keep it but as long as chaeto grows, it's fine. 

I think there is a BRS video on chaeto growing under different lights. My interpretation watching it was that a good and expensive light grew better looking chaeto while a "normal" light grow some decent chaeto. Both were good at decreasing nutrients, which was enough for me. 

• Like 2
less than bread
2 hours ago, Jaren45 said:

Your water height looks a little high in the rear, if you plan on running an ato i'd recommend having it where the water falls into the return section

I dont have an ATO. How high is the water supposed to be?