ReefCleaners.org

Waterbox 20 Cube Skimmer Question

JimmyNeutronium

JimmyNeutronium

Just wanted to see if anyone has used the WS-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer - Aquamaxx skimmer in the Waterbox 20 Cube. It is 3.2 inches wide and the 2nd chamber in the 20 is 3.1 inches wide. I wanted to see if anyone has been able to fit this bad boy in there. 

If anyone has any other recommendations for a protein skimmer that fits in the tank please share! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Waterbox 20 and tried to squeeze the WS-1 from my SR-60 in there but it was a no go. 

I ended up with the Aquamaxx NF-1 which is a good skimmer as well but obviously not quite as strong. I actually just upgraded to a Radion XR15 G5 with an RMS mount and I can’t fit the NF-1 in the rear now because of the light mount so that’s something to consider as well. Not sure what will squeeze in there at this point. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 7:31 AM, whisnantrider said:

I have the Waterbox 20 and tried to squeeze the WS-1 from my SR-60 in there but it was a no go. 

I ended up with the Aquamaxx NF-1 which is a good skimmer as well but obviously not quite as strong. I actually just upgraded to a Radion XR15 G5 with an RMS mount and I can’t fit the NF-1 in the rear now because of the light mount so that’s something to consider as well. Not sure what will squeeze in there at this point. 

I am in the same boat, right now I am using a Reef Glass skimmer it does ok. 

• 3 weeks later...
whisnantrider
On 12/12/2021 at 4:29 AM, Chris882003 said:

I am in the same boat, right now I am using a Reef Glass skimmer it does ok. 

I was finally able to squeeze a Fiji Cube NSK-50 in there buy taking the hanging bracket off and using magnets I had from an old icecap skimmer body. So far it has been a beast. Highly recommend them! Now that I’ve been using it for a while and like it, I may trim the mounting bracket on it so it fits a little better. It has a slight lean to it currently which triggers my ocd a bit, haha.

• Like 1
RaymondNoodles
On 12/28/2021 at 10:08 AM, whisnantrider said:

I was finally able to squeeze a Fiji Cube NSK-50 in there buy taking the hanging bracket off and using magnets I had from an old icecap skimmer body. So far it has been a beast. Highly recommend them! Now that I’ve been using it for a while and like it, I may trim the mounting bracket on it so it fits a little better. It has a slight lean to it currently which triggers my ocd a bit, haha.

Do you have a write-up on your protein skimmer retro-fit? Or perhaps a picture? Thanks.