Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A few wrasse related questions

Xj reefing

Yesterday I got a lubboks fairy and carpenters flasher wrasse and they are in a 5 gallon observation tank for 1 week as they were at the store for a bit already. The flasher is spending all of its time in a pvc pipe and the lubboks of coming out and swimming for 30 seconds and then darting back into a pipe. Is it normal behaviour for the flasher to take longer to de stress than the fairy? When I adding them to my main tank which is a 55 gallon should I use a acclimation box for them as I already have a yellow coris wrasse in there? The yellow coris is very peaceful so far to the other fish which are 2 clowns a bi colour blenny and a molly. 

14 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yes, it will take them time to destress. Does the 5G have a small box full of sand in it? Because they would sleep in the sandbed, or dart into the sand to hide if they feel afraid. 

I didn’t think fairy’s and flasher wrasse slept in the sand. I know the the yellow coris does but he is in my dt.

1 hour ago, Xj reefing said:

I didn’t think fairy’s and flasher wrasse slept in the sand. I know the the yellow coris does but he is in my dt.

They do mostly sleep in rock crevices, I agree. I have a male lubbocks in my 60G, and he sleeps all over the place - sometimes between the rocks, sometimes in the sand, and once I even spotted him taking refuge under my upturned cup coral skeleton. He's a weird fish. 😅

They are in a 5 gallon which is a pretty small tank for two fish that size, so they may feel a little stressed. When I had a flasher, it hid  most of the time when I first got him. I would definitely watch parameters and for aggression, two active fish in a small tank could pose problems in short order. 

if it were me I would try to get them in the main tank. One week isn’t really a proper quarantine anyways. 

I wouldn’t use acclimation boxes. Let them get in the tank I could imagine going from a five gallon to floating in a small box with no hiding places would cause a lot of stress. 

• Like 2

I would like to get them in the main tank as soon as possible but I want them to de stress a bit before that. Would it cause them more or less stress if I put them in the main tank tonight? Also is there any way I could get the to de stress faster.

NoOneLikesADryTang

With your current set up, you’re probably better off moving at least one of them to your display tank (all though, I’d probably move both). 

Yellow Coris’ are generally peaceful, unless a full grown adult male, then they can be territorial, and I’d recommend an acclimation box. The acclimation box is so that wrasses can sort out their pecking order within the tank, without any of them getting hurt, or killed. Usually after a few days, they’ve worked it out. We’ve got 5 wrasses in our 80 gallon tank, so any new addition gets to spend some time in an acclimation box, for their own safety. I really don’t think it’s needed in your scenario though. 

Also, don’t be surprised if either of them hide for a while until they get comfortable in your display tank. 

I didn’t see our yellow coris all week last week, and had resigned myself to thinking he had probably died (he’s a very large male), and the clean up crew did what they’re supposed to do, so I never found a body. But sure enough this evening he was out swimming around. So they can and will hide sometimes for reasons that are unknown to us. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

With your current set up, you’re probably better off moving at least one of them to your display tank (all though, I’d probably move both). 

Yellow Coris’ are generally peaceful, unless a full grown adult male, then they can be territorial, and I’d recommend an acclimation box. The acclimation box is so that wrasses can sort out their pecking order within the tank, without any of them getting hurt, or killed. Usually after a few days, they’ve worked it out. We’ve got 5 wrasses in our 80 gallon tank, so any new addition gets to spend some time in an acclimation box, for their own safety. I really don’t think it’s needed in your scenario though. 

Also, don’t be surprised if either of them hide for a while until they get comfortable in your display tank. 

I didn’t see our yellow coris all week last week, and had resigned myself to thinking he had probably died (he’s a very large male), and the clean up crew did what they’re supposed to do, so I never found a body. But sure enough this evening he was out swimming around. So they can and will hide sometimes for reasons that are unknown to us. 

The yellow coris wrasse is in just starting to exit juvenile stage and is very peaceful. I think I will add them tonight. As from what I have seen they are in really good shape just a bit stressed. 

Update: I will leave them in the tank until Friday night as I did a ammonia test and nitrate test with the ammonia being zero and the nitrate reading five. They both also ate in the tank so I want to make sure they continue to do so

QT tank is too small and unnatural. So it will be difficult to get them to destress in there. I usually use something at least 20g and add natural looking hiding spots like fake rock/plants or clay bricks instead of PVC. 

I usually use an acclimation box though aggression should be minimal from just a juvi coris wrasse. A week in QT won't do too much so I would probably work on moving them over since the 5g is so small. 

• Like 2