Pod Your Reef

Mini Complete Tank: Tiny Skimmer!

The Rainy Day Aquarium

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Through a series of events I came into the possession of a Mini Complete Tank. Having an affinity towards small aquariums, I've always wanted to give these tiny tanks a shot. The packaging was neat and the bonus of a MCT sticker and a bamboo tray from TankMods was a great surprise. Putting the tank together though I wasn't crazy impressed with the sump, infact it bothered me so much that I decided to make a tiny custom sump, then a media basket, and later a stand to give this tank a little more pizzazz and enhance the functionality of everything. Anyways, this all led me down a rabbit hole that seemingly has no end. So buckle up and join me for a tiny adventure.

Equipment:

Tank: Mini Complete Tank

Light: Stock LED

Sump: Custom DIY

Stand: Custom DIY

Return Pump: USB fountain pump (80gph)

Heater: Aqueon 5W with Cobalt Neostat

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite

Corals:

TBD

Inverts:

TBD

FTS: 9/11/2021

PSX_20210911_145818.thumb.jpg.3099d0cfc3c17eaa2b64fbb1301c762d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Through a series of events I came into the possession of a Mini Complete Tank. Having an affinity towards small aquariums, I've always wanted to give these tiny tanks a shot. The packaging was neat and the bonus of a MCT sticker and a bamboo tray from TankMods was a great surprise. Putting the tank together though I wasn't crazy impressed with the sump, infact it bothered me so much that I decided to make a tiny custom sump, then a media basket, and later a stand to give this tank a little more pizzazz and enhance the functionality of everything. Anyways, this all led me down a rabbit hole that seemingly has no end. So buckle up and join me for a tiny adventure.

Equipment:

Tank: Mini Complete Tank

Light: Stock LED

Sump: Custom DIY

Stand: Custom DIY

Return Pump: USB fountain pump (80gph)

Heater: Aqueon 5W with Cobalt Neostat

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite

Corals:

TBD

Inverts:

TBD

FTS: 9/11/2021

PSX_20210911_145818.thumb.jpg.3099d0cfc3c17eaa2b64fbb1301c762d.jpg

Very nice! 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's so cute! I'm curious to see how functional that little sump actually is, or if the surface tension will interfere with the proper flow of everything. 

How does it all plumb together? 

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, Tired said:

It's so cute! I'm curious to see how functional that little sump actually is, or if the surface tension will interfere with the proper flow of everything. 

How does it all plumb together? 

Thanks haha! I'm curious as well.water tends to get "sticky" the smaller you go. I've dabbled a little with tiny systems like this and they seemed to work well enough? but I suppose we'll see?

Haha good question! 😂 No I decided to have an external return pump to save precious space in the sump. It will then be plumbed back to the display via tubing. I guess the whole idea was to attempt to make a traditional filtration system, but in miniature lol. 

• Like 3
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Been tempted to set mine up and wanted to do a different sump too. I love this idea!

It was a fun little project! It's just so tough trying to figure out how to fit all of the equipment in something like this haha. Like playing Tetris 😅 

• Like 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Just a few more detail shots of the sump. I fitted all of the equipment in it this afternoon and everything checks out. I just need to 3D print some bulk heads and plumb eveything together. I'm almost done with a few designs for some other small pieces of equipment, but this week is going to be very busy so I'm not sure when I'll get around to making them. Anyways hope you all make it a great week, lol, back to the grind eh?

PSX_20210911_144945.thumb.jpg.73757c39f285b74fa29dc0bdf4782350.jpg

PSX_20210911_145105.thumb.jpg.50e19675072225fd072fb0a7b1ab9f14.jpg

PSX_20210911_144834.thumb.jpg.369bebc13b29454853e89c2390c8f296.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Well, I thought I was busy this week? Turns out today's plans fell through so I made a protein skimmer in the few hours I had to spare 😅 I think a media reactor would look good next to this, but that will have to be a project for another day lol. 

PSX_20210913_135524.thumb.jpg.ab8f91332ba7d1e29b3d5a2d0a61fb6a.jpg

PSX_20210913_135619.thumb.jpg.d3b110402fd56557bc60a1af66018c33.jpg

PSX_20210913_135416.thumb.jpg.ee1c0f00b9ea44b00d8e39402a68e07b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 5
The Rainy Day Aquarium
21 hours ago, Tired said:

All this tiny stuff is so cute! Miniature versions of things are fun already, but if they actually work, this'll be really cool. 

I know what you mean, tiny versions of things are comical, but just cool IMO!

In theory everything should work. Although I am really dancing with the line where water tension starts to become an issue. Haha I'm not sure if I would go any smaller than this for what I'm doing with it. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Just a small update on this build.

I'm currently working on trying to 3D print parts and finish making all of the equipment for this tank. Unfortunately though, my 3D printer has called it quits on me (honestly I'm quite frustrated with it as it has always given me problems) and I realized that as great as 3D printing is, I need something much more tuned to achieve the level of detail/functionality that I want out of the parts that I need. As such I am going the slightly different route of injection molding. This also means waiting for supplies to be shipped and such so besides living in CAD software during my free time I have also been conjuring up so new ideas for this little tank, including an ATO container, hard line plumbing, and trying to finish up that media reactor. Hopefully by the time things start arriving here next month I'll have all the 3D models built in CAD and ready to go. Don't hold your breath, but things should be getting interesting here soon with this tiny reef tank.

Until then happy tiny reefing 👶

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I must say you have a talent for attention to details.  If you have time put something in the picture to show just how little those parts are.  I will be following this just because it is cool if you get it all working together!

• Thanks 1