Coral Vue Hydros

Ultra Rock Flower Anemones Scrunched

mcashatt01

Just received my 5 pack of Ultra RFA's yesterday evening. I immediately acclimated upon arrival and got them in the tank over about a 45 minute period. They all attached pretty quickly and seemed happy. Today they all seem scrunched for lack of a better word. One, the prettiest of course, is almost completely hidden inside a crevice between the middle rock and Zoanthid colony on the left. Four of the new ones are all on the lower middle rock. The fifth cannot be seen in this photo. The RFA that is fully open on the rock to the right is a normal RFA that I've had for a few weeks.

20210909_170922.thumb.jpg.765d4f5cdca061caca7447d0dd52adc1.jpg

Is this normal?

Will they stay like this?

Should I try turning down my lights?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Normal, in my experience.  They will hold down initially when introduced but it's not necessarily where they like to be, so they will move a bit as needed and that includes scrunching into holes (they definitely seem to prefer holes in rockwork in my tank).  They can hide from high light or flow and can let go and drift around occasionally until they are settled, but they seem to find a place to stick around easy enough with time.

Anemones will and do move, so if the lighting or flow isn't to their liking, they will correct that on their own - not worth pissing off other corals to try and compensate for them.  A bunch of mine like shady spots under overhangs and I've had them detach in the night, blow to the back of the tank in some crevice, and then just appear a few days later crawling along the rocks to a spot they like better.  As they grow and are happy with their spot, they will appear more open even when scrunched into a hole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

They’ll probably move around some at night for the next couple weeks as they try to find the perfect spot. I wouldn’t worry about it in the slightest. 

I’m a sucker for those gold tentacle ones! That one of yours looks sweet! 

35 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

They’ll probably move around some at night for the next couple weeks as they try to find the perfect spot. I wouldn’t worry about it in the slightest. 

I’m a sucker for those gold tentacle ones! That one of yours looks sweet! 

I was pretty psyched about all of them. Got a really good deal and reasonable shipping cost. 

• Like 1
On 9/10/2021 at 11:13 AM, filefishfinatic said:

my lfs sells 3 ultra reds for 60$ 2 for 50 and 1 for 30. feed your anenomes. 

Man, mine sales one RFA for 40 and no ultras. I got 5 for 100 + $35 shipping. I'm almost glad my LFS doesn't have more of what I want. I'd be more broke than I already am 😆 

• Haha 1