Coral Vue Hydros

enough flow?

filefishfinatic

filefishfinatic

is a 400 gph large apeture chinese filture enough flow for a 20 gallon long? im considering a aqqa 500 gph pump for some boost to my flow. i have a long tntacle anenome, a finger leather, and a zoa colony (idk the species) 

No, that's not enough flow for a 30" long tank, especially with an anemone. If you are going with low, fixed flow powerheads you want a couple of them. Instead of going with no-name pumps, spend the extra few dollars for Hydor Koralias. Two of the 425gph powerheads would be just fine and you can find them for $30 brand new. They are extremely popular, so you can find them for $10-20 used.

The Chinese no-name powerheads are entirely hit or miss. Sometimes they last a few years and sometimes they die very shortly after you get them (or just DOA). Plus, their mounting systems are generally ass and they are almost always bigger, uglier, and harder to maintain. I've never had a Korlia die and have a 425 in my sump that's been running continuously for 11 years.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jservedio said:

No, that's not enough flow for a 30" long tank, especially with an anemone. If you are going with low, fixed flow powerheads you want a couple of them. Instead of going with no-name pumps, spend the extra few dollars for Hydor Koralias. Two of the 425gph powerheads would be just fine and you can find them for $30 brand new. They are extremely popular, so you can find them for $10-20 used.

The Chinese no-name powerheads are entirely hit or miss. Sometimes they last a few years and sometimes they die very shortly after you get them (or just DOA). Plus, their mounting systems are generally ass and they are almost always bigger, uglier, and harder to maintain. I've never had a Korlia die and have a 425 in my sump that's been running continuously for 11 years.

Hydor is also top notch for shipping replacement parts and good with warranty too

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I didn't know that because I've literally never seen one break!

I've had a couple of the impeller shafts break, an impeller break and they shipped the replacement for free.

My first KPS, something was wrong with it, i believe it was the controller.

I shipped it back and they replaced it with a new one.

It was the easiest warranty issue i dealt with.

The company is great to deal with.

7 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

a hydor korila would fail in a couple weeks due to algae growth 

Care to explain why you think a Koralia would fail, but an aqqa pump wouldn't?

9 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

i was gonna get a aqqa pump. 

It's your money, spend it how you see fit.

filefishfinatic
1 minute ago, jservedio said:

Care to explain why you think a Koralia would fail, but an aqqa pump wouldn't?

It's your money, spend it how you see fit.

korila is suction cup while aqqa is magnetic. 

filefishfinatic

i am going to modify it some and make it so it would be 3 tanks long and 2 racks tall so it distributes the weight more. i will prob put 4 steel l brackets under the pillars also. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 6:07 PM, Clown79 said:

Hydor is also top notch for shipping replacement parts and good with warranty too

Can you tell me where can I get replacement parts for my old Koralia nano? I've tried emailing Hydor at info@hydor.com as well as info@ferplast.com.

The email to info@hydor.com was bounced as it seems that the domain no longer exists and I did not get any response from info@ferplast.com yet.

It seems that Ferplast has acquired Hydor.

Any idea who to contact or where to get replacement parts?

8 hours ago, Archon said:

This would be nice as it's own thread.  👍

• Like 1

Had to look this up since my first powerhead was a hydro koralia and I thought I remembered it being a suction cup… apparently it’s a special magnet-suction cup hybrid design that is patented. 

D7D1C48A-71E4-43C1-8D17-F89E820B7039.thumb.jpeg.5f26c0b2891afa77dd461e64cbde017f.jpeg

65046635-2230-491D-B2D8-CB93F01DEBBA.thumb.jpeg.ff73a5711600ede287571d18e96ee8f2.jpeg

10 hours ago, Archon said:

Can you tell me where can I get replacement parts for my old Koralia nano? I've tried emailing Hydor at info@hydor.com as well as info@ferplast.com.

The email to info@hydor.com was bounced as it seems that the domain no longer exists and I did not get any response from info@ferplast.com yet.

If it’s old, it’s probably no longer under warranty anyway… I would think you’d probably just need to get a new one. 

On 10/25/2021 at 10:52 AM, banasophia said:

Had to look this up since my first powerhead was a hydro koralia and I thought I remembered it being a suction cup… apparently it’s a special magnet-suction cup hybrid design that is patented. 

D7D1C48A-71E4-43C1-8D17-F89E820B7039.thumb.jpeg.5f26c0b2891afa77dd461e64cbde017f.jpeg

65046635-2230-491D-B2D8-CB93F01DEBBA.thumb.jpeg.ff73a5711600ede287571d18e96ee8f2.jpeg

If it’s old, it’s probably no longer under warranty anyway… I would think you’d probably just need to get a new one. 

I can confirm that there is a quite strong magnet on both wet and dry side of Koralia Nano.

I am not looking to claim any warranty. I would like to know if/how can I order some spare parts for these wavemakers.

4 hours ago, Archon said:

I can confirm that there is a quite strong magnet on both wet and dry side of Koralia Nano.

I am not looking to claim any warranty. I would like to know if/how can I order some spare parts for these wavemakers.

Contact hydor. They often wil send you what you need

• Like 1