Cultivated Reef

anyone know a nice aquarium stand (10 gallon) that could be built with a jigsaw and 32 board feet of 2x4s? i might just design my own but id like some ideas.

filefishfinatic

filefishfinatic

Anyone have schematics for a nice 10 gallon aquarium stand/ cabinet that could be built with a jigsaw and 32 boardfeet of 2x4s? id like to make a custom cabinet with a sump possibly. if i need like doors and stuff for it (sheets of plywood) i can use particle board from my orignal trash stand that it came with. 

filefishfinatic

one idea for a rack im considering is 4 2x4's 4ft long with some 3" gaps so 3 15" areas 3" from the ground. id brace some t5s under each tank. i might plumb the 3 tanks together. 

filefishfinatic

basically id have 4 2x4s 4' tall, id wrap around the inside an area with 2 20" bars and then 3 10" bars on the inside. id replicate this 3 times. so 12 bars 10" long 8 bars 20" long, 4 bars 48" long

filefishfinatic
4 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Is it not a 4 foot stand in this video?  1:33 (a length of 48 inch)

a rack though. i am considering 36" instead. and making it 24" wide 

3 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

a rack though. i am considering 36" instead. and making it 24" wide 

And ?

The only difference between is build and your is that it is more wide. It is a minimal modification of its plan that you should be capable of doing yourself.

Edited by M. Tournesol
filefishfinatic
5 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

And ?

The only difference between is build and your is that it is more wide. It is a minimal modification of its plan that you should be capable of doing yourself.

is it an aquarium rack 

Excuse me, you are frustrating me 😰. Doing DIY often equal adapting a plan or doing a plan yourself because what your want is not common.
by googling aquarium rack DIY you can easily found a video tutorial. 2x4 board feet is the common material of all this tutorial, just adapt the plan for your need.

filefishfinatic
7 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Excuse me, you are frustrating me 😰. Doing DIY often equal adapting a plan or doing a plan yourself because what your want is not common.
by googling aquarium rack DIY you can easily found a video tutorial. 2x4 board feet is the common material of all this tutorial, just adapt the plan for your need.

i dont have a router 

I absolutely copied a schematic found in a google search and just changed the height and width to what I wanted. Easy enough. I had Lowe’s cut the 2” x 4”’s when I purchased them. Then sanding, drilling, and painting. Easy enough 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
filefishfinatic

here is blueprint. lines arent strait thpugh. heres my diagram of it. very bad but the front is the side with 3 bars and the side's cross section is this . . . each dot being a bar while the front cross section is 1 long bat. obviously theres bars covering the side because i would have to defy gravity to build it but yeah. it could hold 6 tanks. idk about weight but i might only hold 4. id get 2 t5 bars on each level. 

i just used my human calculator brain to do 20 geometry problems (big word problems) in 5 minutes 

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 12.12.05 PM.png

filefishfinatic

i assume since it would be built kinda like how the king of diy stand is made, it could hold the weight. basically its holding a 60 gal tank. i am going to make it as small as possible to minimize torsion forces on the stand. 

filefishfinatic
Just now, debbeach13 said:

image.jpg

oh thats exactly what i have supporting my 20 long. that might be a smart idea 

oh thank you for that idea. i can add 2 more trays to it. 

filefishfinatic

if you were to make a spruce pets stand 20x20 but only 3 cross bars underneath it as opposed to 5 so theres 2 4" gaps in the part holding up the tank like how my 20 long stand was modified (uninportant to this conversation) would you put a 60 gallon tank on top of it and fill it with all your favorite fish and coral and your children and trust it and if it collapsed you would die? would you make it?