inTank Media Baskets

How Large an Aquarium can my floor support

MatthewN

InAtTheDeepEnd
7 minutes ago, 1st reef said:

I always say, corners or up against a wall is best. 

That'll depend on the age of your house though/whether it's a structural wall or not. A single skin dividing wall isn't going to offer much in the way of support for a tank.... foundations are important too. Looking at the floor plans for the house if you want to put a really big tank in is a good way to do things. 

• Like 1

Most houses and apartments now will support a lot of tanks.......... I lived in an apartment in the 90s and had a 55 on the second floor with no issues............. my house now has had all sorts of tanks the biggest one a RS750 and nothing happened.....

Houses of today will be post and beam as its cheaper than running engineered trusses...... trusses are the best and can hold a bunch of weight.........

• Wow 1
1 minute ago, Murphych said:

That's only about 150kg. aka 2 X me.. so I would say it's fine to have 2 people, wobbling about in that room side by side 👍🏼

what about on top of each other.............. :unsure:

2 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

That'll depend on the age of your house though/whether it's a structural wall or not. A single skin dividing wall isn't going to offer much in the way of support for a tank.... foundations are important too. Looking at the floor plans for the house if you want to put a really big tank in is a good way to do things. 

Agreed. I always placed my tank perpendicular to joists. 

But then I transfered everything to the basement. Concrete floors... Problem solved. Lol