Coral Vue Hydros

Gyre settings for dummies 😬

ECLS Reefer

Okay need some gyre pumps for dummies instruction. Needing more regulated flow to my tank and have two gyres- a 1k and a 2k running off the dual pump controller. I want to make them alternate to push a wave across the tank and have them set up on opposing ends, top of the waterlines. I’ve played with the settings in the app, but I’m not seeing it form a successful wave really and seem to be pissing the corals off. Any advice to be had? 

Can we have a photo of your tank? gyre position can depend on its dimension. In my 9 gallons, my gyre is at minimal setting and points to the water surface.

small question? why do you want waves? waves are not necessary in reef tank.

23 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

Can we have a photo of your tank? gyre position can depend on its dimension. In my 9 gallons, my gyre is at minimal setting and points to the water surface.

small question? why do you want waves? waves are not necessary in reef tank.

Well, for one thing, to just know how to do it. But for another, I’m just trying to find the right amount of alternating flow that makes all coral types happy. It’s a mixed reef and I’m trying to defeat red cyano, move current around, not damage the euphyllia, and keep all the tang poop in the water column so it theoretically goes into the filter socks. 

Heres a potato phone shot with the gyres positioned

image.thumb.jpg.5f226fdee5cb849ab15bb0f580b56a54.jpg

2 hours ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I want to make them alternate to push a wave across the tank and have them set up on opposing ends

I don't know how to do that but you could have the turbulence front where the two gyre current collide move. If one gyre goes up, the second goes down and vice versa. This should make the turbulence front move back and forward.

For the coral unhappiness, I would simply lower the power of the gyres or make them point more towards the surface 🤷‍♂️.

13 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

I don't know how to do that but you could have the turbulence front where the two gyre current collide move. If one gyre goes up, the second goes down and vice versa. This should make the turbulence front move back and forward.

For the coral unhappiness, I would simply lower the power of the gyres or make them point more towards the surface 🤷‍♂️.

Oh believe me I did. I used to have them in the back for a circumferential flow but decided to try them at the top ends to see how they did. Have powered them down considerably, but am trying to tweak the settings to achieve the wave you can see. 

Really just trying to see if others who use the ice cap gyres have settings I can try that will accomplish this, as a reference point. 

The little crossed arrows will do it alternating between forward and backward in opposite directions. You set your forward and backward percentages (each pump separately), time in each direction, and ramp up and down times. In the crossed arrow mode one goes backward while the other is forward. That wouldn't be a single standing wave but would basically just alternate back and forth like tides coming in and out. Maybe if your tank is big enough and the pulses were short enough you could, but it wouldn't be very effective.

If you saved the book, their documentation is pretty fantastic. If not, it's online https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1442338/Maxspect-Gyre-Xf230.html#product-Gyre XF250

• Thanks 2