Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need Help to Identify This Coral

Djm4ng0

Hi nano reef community I am new to reef tanks so please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I recently got this frag for free from my local fish store but I have no idea what it is.  Can someone help me identify this coral and how to care for it? I also noticed that the inside of the coral was fluorescent but has started to fade away.

84091AAD-6C9B-4F5B-8287-258F509B3D6C.thumb.jpeg.ea8c512d5a791e24ed2ae713b41a1c18.jpeg2C923089-A5CD-4108-8110-F7DAB5AA7F23.thumb.jpeg.9f7a3bcf38488c905f6e65ff97a8b7ea.jpeg88B11538-644E-4D09-9F92-FDCFB87C3D57.thumb.jpeg.350998c3e34ff130783583b501579f94.jpeg

30 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

Looks like some type of euphyllia that is dead or dying. 

Thanks. Do you have any advice to keep it alive? Or do you think it’s completely dead?

Looks like a calcium carbonate skeleton without the coral polyps.  It’s like you’re showing me the chicken bones and asking me if it’s still alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Seadragon said:

Looks like a calcium carbonate skeleton without the coral polyps.  It’s like you’re showing me the chicken bones and asking me if it’s still alive.

Ok thanks lol so it’s completely dead then? No chance of bringing it back? This just happened today the other days I’ve had it it’s been nice and green inside 

12 minutes ago, Djm4ng0 said:

Ok thanks lol so it’s completely dead then? No chance of bringing it back? This just happened today the other days I’ve had it it’s been nice and green inside 

3 hours ago, Djm4ng0 said:

I recently got this frag for free from my local fish store

So, I’ve been to many LFS and recently, one nearby charged me $15 for a discarded frag disc buried in their substrate underneath a frag rack that had filthy algae on the disc and a couple clove polyps on their way out. Fortunately, I was able to revive 1 polyp so far.

If you’re getting something for free at a LFS, chances are it’s on the “almost-dead” or dead rack and they gave it to you since you asked nicely and got lucky.

From the pictures you provided, it looks like an empty shell with no hope left.  But, the good news is that you spent $0 for it. 🙂

33 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

So, I’ve been to many LFS and recently, one nearby charged me $15 for a discarded frag disc buried in their substrate underneath a frag rack that had filthy algae on the disc and a couple clove polyps on their way out. Fortunately, I was able to revive 1 polyp so far.

If you’re getting something for free at a LFS, chances are it’s on the “almost-dead” or dead rack and they gave it to you since you asked nicely and got lucky.

From the pictures you provided, it looks like an empty shell with no hope left.  But, the good news is that you spent $0 for it. 🙂

34 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Haha yeah I guess that’s the only positive. Guess I’ll just toss him out. What a shame

On 9/3/2021 at 5:13 AM, jambon said:

You did say it had some flourecent color inside.. dont give up yet.. worse case scenario its a chunk of coral rubble.

No I think it completely died now no more fluorescent light just skeleton

• Like 1