SaltCritters.com

Best AIO Nano Reef Tank 2021?

matt_t720

Sorry for the super 'average' question. I wasn't sure whether to ask it in this Discussion, or the AIO one, but since I'm a novice when it comes to marines I'll put it here. I simply want the best for what I'm looking to set-up, I've already asked & done a lot of research but I thought where better to ask than here.

Going away to university, want to downsize my hobby but also bring a piece of my job along with me. I'm very aware of the maintainence & have plans for stuff like weekly water changes etc.

My budget is flexible, but obviously I'd rather not blow it all. The one I've had my eye on was the Aqua One Nano Reef 35, & I was thinking to just probably upgrade the skimmer & maybe the lighting too. It's an AIO, since I don't want to set-up a sump in my dorm, and comes with a heater etc. It's retailing for around $230 / £170, but for the upgrades it'd cost me extra, so let's assume it's around $300.

I've also been scouring ebay etc for deals but it's hard to find tanks which are a good deal & near-by, since most people aren't willing to ship them with it being glass and all.

Are there any other good & reliable options / recommendations? -->If these options require some small upgrades e.g. skimmer / lighting, what upgrades would you recommend?<-- Others I've seen:

• Peninsula Box Mini 15 (Expensive, £479 with the light, which I assume is a good light)
  • Fluval Sea Evo
  • Innovative Marine 10 Pro (out of stock on official site)

Thanks!

Edit; A tank that sits nicely on a desk / square cabinet would be preferrable. Ideally too some nice coral recommendations which aren't too sensitive. The end goal is a nice anenome / xenia showcase.

I absolutely love my IM10 reef that I had set-up while I was still in college. It is a great size to allow for fish and coral, but not so big that it takes up a ton of room in a dorm. What part of the world are you located in? I used an old bio cube stand for the IM10 that I just tore down actually. I’ve also seen some nice IKEA cabinets that work well as a stand. @gena has one set up that way currently. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

An IM 10, Evo 5, or a Lifegard 4.1 would be my top contenders for a dorm tank. Did you check out the AIO FTS thread… might get some ideas there.

I have had a IM10 and also a IM20 and well.................go with the 20................... great tank and also has a decent footprint.................... I love the IM tanks but am now running a waterbox cube............ great tank but still miss my im20...............

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gena said:

Here's another vote for the IM10.  Perfect size IMO.  Quality tank too.  You won't regret buying one.  

And the new ones come with the upgraded mesh lids, pump, and media basket.

• Like 1

Sounds like an the IM10 is a clear winner then, I'll definitely look into it. The only thing is, I can't find an in-stock vendor for the UK, since the official site only ships in the states and all the UK sites I find are out of stock. 

The other one I was debating was the peninsula 15, but obviously that's a bit bigger than I'd prefer. Seems like I can purchase it with a decent light too.

13 hours ago, Merthynia said:

I absolutely love my IM10 reef that I had set-up while I was still in college. It is a great size to allow for fish and coral, but not so big that it takes up a ton of room in a dorm. What part of the world are you located in? I used an old bio cube stand for the IM10 that I just tore down actually. I’ve also seen some nice IKEA cabinets that work well as a stand. @gena has one set up that way currently. 

& I'm in the UK

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 10 gallon JBJ rimless AOI. I was looking at the innovative marine 10 gallon but went with the JBJ because it came with a glass lid vs the IM mesh screen which I love. I feel like it drastically cuts down on water evaporation which helps when I go out of town since I don't have an ATO.

• Like 1
tidepooldreamer

I have nothing to compare to as this is my first AIO and my first reef but I'm really happy with my IM tank. The glass is incredibly clear, the pump it came with is silent and seems decently powerful to me. I love that it includes a lid - almost none of the other AIO options I looked at did, and I would consider a lid essential considering how jumpy so many fish are. My only gripe about it is that it was advertised as 14 gallons and I think I've got barely 10 in there - I know rocks and sand take up space but comparing the dimensions of it to the Waterbox 15 gallon which came out after I'd got this one, it does sound quite a bit smaller...