Top Shelf Aquatics

Best budget light. Do you own any of these?

Bigals-nano-1

Bigals-nano-1

I am thinking about upgrading the stock light on my Evo Sea and I was wondering if anyone has used any of these cheaper budget lights. They all seem to get good reviews. 

Lominie Aquarium Led Light, 4 Channels RF Remote Dimmable 30W Fish Tank Light Pixie 30 with Bracket for Saltwater Fish and Reef Coral Tank (P30 Saltwater) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F8KG52D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4TN5YB3AXM9M51D3RR2W?psc=1

NICREW Aquarium LED Reef Light 30W, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED Light for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CXDMWBF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QE1F9PZSQEFX0XJ62R3K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

YWT LED Aquarium Light, Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Chips, 10 Level Dimming, for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZZ25DCH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D98NYEXENGT733SJ249B

E660EF7E-94C9-45C7-B234-F4A92BCA90EF.jpeg

3464E6E5-79D7-4801-9F26-CA7C27EE6AAB.jpeg

B43F297A-216A-4D11-A649-A7AEFF00AF17.jpeg

Gourami Swami

Ive had the aquaknight hipargero (looks to be the same thing as the YWT 30 watt) and for the price it was very nice. Grew softies and lps well, even some SPS growth right underneath where par was probably highest.

• Like 3

I have the Hipargero, been running for 3 years now. Still like it. Growing softies, LPS, and some different Montiporas well.  One thing that I don’t like is that the bracket is really long. I have it as short as it can go on the back of my 10g (10” from front to back) and it’s definitely over past the center. 

• Like 1

I looked at all of those.  Almost bought he Hipargergo but went with a Viparspectra Black Box light instead.  

https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-Control-Dimmable-Aquarium-Spectrum/dp/B07SHR6HW1

125 with coupon is current price. 

Has a Timer, remote for setup, and you can set Blue Channel / White channels to turn on and off on their own schedule.  I'm getting ready to bump my 10 gal to a 20 L and the Viparspectra should have no problems covering the tank.  If I went the Hipargero I'd have to buy a new light for the job. 

Only downside is you have to rig a Hang setup of some sort for the light.  I'm using PVC pipe, but there are other creative ways to get the job done. 

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
18 hours ago, Bigals-nano-1 said:

YWT LED Aquarium Light, Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Chips, 10 Level Dimming, for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank

I just got this one. The arm is not at the right angle, i don't know your tank but if it's rimmed it doesn't fit well. The light itself is nice though.

There is no timer on it btw.

20210823_193714.thumb.jpg.cfd3784a6adbe0e873e3ab727dd959d1.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 8:51 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

I just got this one. The arm is not at the right angle, i don't know your tank but if it's rimmed it doesn't fit well. The light itself is nice though.

There is no timer on it btw.

20210823_193714.thumb.jpg.cfd3784a6adbe0e873e3ab727dd959d1.jpg

I have this light. I think the reason the arm is slanting is because you overextended it, and the lightbox itself is quite heavy, so it's putting too much 'weight' on the box's side and pulling the stand down. I noticed you braced the clip with styrafoam (?), which is good. My tank is rimless, but since it's not too wide, I'm only using half the length of the arm (like in your pic), so the light isn't slanting. 

Maybe...if you clip the light next to your HOB unit and reduce the length of the arm to half of what it is now, then it would stop slanting (?) 

It's worth a try. Just double-check the arm to make sure the screws are all the way in - the last thing you want is for the arm to break and the box to fall into the tank. (You might want to get a lid, if you haven't already - just my 2 cents. Hope you don't mind.) 

• Like 4

Take a look at the Aquaknight v2. It's got a built in timer/ramp up and down, with 3 setting points. Very nice shimmer too. The fan is a little loud though. I ran one over my evo 13.5 but for an amazing deal on a kessil A80 haha

• Like 1

I have the cheaper Nicrew 30W.

See journal: 

I have it on my 10 gallon tank which has been going for like 9 months now. Zoas grow new polyps under it, and I had a mushroom colony that was growing like a weed, which I removed. I only have the light intensity at like 60-80% because at 100% it seems to be too intense for some of my corals. (Not sure if I need to eventually get my corals use to %100 intensity for optimal growth). Haven’t had any issues with the light and it looks nice and I have mine on a timer, and you can buy the little Nicrew add on which allows you to have sunrise and sunset effects. 

My main thing, 9 months later, is that I’m always wondering if I just shelled out an extra $100 for the AI prime would my corals be growing faster… personally I wish I went with the Prime, but for those that know they are set against shelling out for the prime I would highly recommend this light.

• Like 2
fishkeepersaltnfresh

I have 2 Nicrew 50W lights on top of my 29G tank. My corals are doing great after acclimatization. I lost my Hammer during transition but that is my fault more than anything else. I think the Nicrew is good LED for the price.

• Like 1