Coral Vue Hydros

Cancelled, please remove. Giving away free wrasse Los Angeles Koreatown pick up only

tizzite

Cancelled!

I want to get some nudibranchs to eat aipstasia in my nano tank and didn't want this fish gobbling them up. I forgot what this fish is called, but I got it because I heard they eat algae, and did see it picking off algae off rocks from time to time. It was hardy and did well in my tank, hides a lot and is not an active swimmer.

PM me with your phone number and I'll text you the address where you can pick it up.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 7.09.35 PM.png

• Like 1

It's underweight, too. See how its belly is tucked in? It should be slightly rounded out. Make sure there's enough food in the holding container, and that the container water stays clean despite the feeding. Holding containers should generally be something with holes in them to allow water exchange with the main tank. 

I don't think it's any more likely to eat your berghia than any other fish, since it's a non-wrasse and mostly goes after algae. 

• Like 2
M. Tournesol

Where do you hear that Rainford's goby heat Berghia nudibranchs?
Know predators are Wrasses, Butterflyfish, aggressive crabs and Night scavenging shrimp (in particular peppermint shrimp).

Oh yeah maybe you can keep him since he’s not a wrasse and not likely to eat the berghias… just may need to see if you can get him to eat more to fatten him up a little… nice looking fish!

• Like 1
M. Tournesol
10 hours ago, Tired said:

It's underweight, too. See how its belly is tucked in? It should be slightly rounded out. Make sure there's enough food in the holding container, and that the container water stays clean despite the feeding. Holding containers should generally be something with holes in them to allow water exchange with the main tank. 

I don't think it's any more likely to eat your berghia than any other fish, since it's a non-wrasse and mostly goes after algae. 

I 100% agreed with you.

Rainford's goby is a know pods and filamentous algae eater (Some even say that it eat only the pods on the algae).

Mine eat all day along. You are starving your fish in its holding container. It shouldn't pose a problem for at least a day (if it was previously well feed), but more ...

• Like 1

Oh, I read that it was omnivorous and my experience was that fish will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. I had just caught the fish and put it in a jar with a lid with holes in it and took a picture of it right after, so I guess it's chronically underfed. I always give small pellets to my tank and the fish never eats them, but I do see him sifting sand from time to time.

Thanks for the input! I guess I won't give it away

M. Tournesol
1 minute ago, tizzite said:

I always give small pellets to my tank and the fish never eats them

Yes, wild Rainford's goby are reputed to sometimes only eat live food (like mine and yours).
I discover-it after buying it 😅. But this problem doesn't exist in captive-bred.

M. Tournesol
15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Maybe you could try to feed him frozen foods like brine shrimp or mysis? 

It could work 🤷‍♂️ (but didn't for me ☹️. I feed exclusively frozen)

• Like 1

One thing you can do is take a small rock out of your tank and put it under lights 24/7. It'll grow loads of green algae and filament algae, and you can then put it back in the tank for the goby to munch on. You should probably also seed copepods, and try to lure him onto frozen foods, since your tank looks pretty young from that picture. 

Fish can usually be relied on to eat any swimming midwater creature that fits in their mouth, but not all of them will go after crawling things like berghias. 

• Like 1
  • Recommended Discussions