ReefCleaners.org

Softie reef on a student budget

InAtTheDeepEnd

On 8/31/2021 at 6:07 AM, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

PXL_20210831_110456725.MP.jpg

IDK, I read this as closer to 8ppm (again, due to the blueish tint).  Not sure if the concentration was off in your bottle or what the cause might be.  However, I'd try using maybe half the recommended dose and then see what your test reports.

That would be my guess too, added too much ammonia.  To be honest, I've never cycled this way before.  When I had ammonia/nitrite registering with the addition of live rock (shipped) with lots of die-off....I just waited for those numbers to come down to zero, did a water-change, and then started slowly stocking.  Usually with coral first and then one or two fish.  Always worked.  I don't have experience in cycling by adding ammonia.  I would have already started slowly stocking after your results on Sunday.  But that's just how I've always done it.

InAtTheDeepEnd

Yeah tbh I was going to but I'm seriously doubting my ability as an aquarist right now. Lost two fish yesterday and really torn up about it.

So I want to be able to keep this tank cycled without needing to add any livestock/corals whilst I decide what I'm doing. I was going to do as gena suggested until the deaths.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

I was going to do as gena suggested until the deaths.

The whole idea of fishless cycling is to build up the biofilter to support a larger initial bioload.  With live rock, the bacteria populations are usually well established and we just need to wait until ammonia becomes undetectable.

However, at this point, as soon as ammonia reaches a safe level, I believe you should be able to start slowly stocking this tank.  Although verifying that it can process 2ppm down to 0.25ppm within 24 hours would just take (obviously) one extra day.

My posts were mostly to explain why I felt things were taking longer than you expected, as well as to clarify/restate the fishless cycling process.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
InAtTheDeepEnd

It's getting there 

When this has sorted itself out I'm going to get corals asap before I change my mind again 🤣 there's been a copepod explosion which has devoured the algae, so I'm thinking coral-fish-invert(s) for stocking order because the fish wouldn't be happy/feel safe without corals and without organic waste there won't be enough food for the inverts. Still thinking just 1 snail for now with the potential to add more cuc if needed later on. 

PXL_20210909_124119405.MP.jpg

PXL_20210909_124046292.MP.jpg

PXL_20210909_124055975.MP.jpg

PXL_20210909_124106012.MP.jpg

• Like 1

A water change wouldn't hurt anything and would reduce the nitrate level.  But I might just wait it out and see.  I read the current ammonia level to be 2ppm.  If there is enough nitrifying bacteria, I'd expect a very noticeable reduction on its own by tomorrow.  Might be interesting to see what it does.

• Like 2
InAtTheDeepEnd

& some of their other fish.  psychedelic dragonets, Basslets, & the yellow tangs favourites.  

My pics don't do this shop justice but it's cool. They have a whole room for corals. The dry goods are kind of expensive though. 

PXL_20210910_122630242.jpg

PXL_20210910_122531537.MP.jpg

PXL_20210910_122202638.MP.jpg

PXL_20210910_122439726.MP.jpg

PXL_20210910_122421729.MP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
InAtTheDeepEnd
8 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Up early!

I have the most cursed sleep schedule known to man.  

I'll leave this tank one more day and WC tomorrow I think.... bearing in mind I put too much ammonia in it's still dealt with it. I'm actually hoping I'll be understocking enough that I should have ample bacteria to process what the fish will produce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • InAtTheDeepEnd changed the title to Softie reef on a student budget