SaltCritters.com

Sailfin tang has ich

swebob

I just added a sailfin tang friday and with in 2 days he has ich and just stays in one spot and doe not move much and does not eat..

I also have a clown fish, black basslet and they have a few spots but are eating and lively. I heard you can treat it with copper sulphate if you have fish only, I happen to have some polyps and one musroom and some inverts.. How should I handle this?????

matt the fiddler

how big is your tank? you might be pressing the size on it.. if it is a true nano. might be the source.... if that is a problem he wont' get better in your tank- you might be fine though.... don't knwo till i knwo tank size :)

i would get a cleaner shrimp- or a cleaner wrasse.. though the wrasse might fight wiht the basslet... not 100% sure if they will or not....

Originally posted by matt the fiddler

how big is your tank? you might be pressing the size on it.. if it is a true nano. might be the source.... if that is a problem he wont' get better in your tank- you might be fine though.... don't knwo till i knwo tank size :)

i would get a cleaner shrimp- or a cleaner wrasse.. though the wrasse might fight wiht the basslet... not 100% sure if they will or not....

15 gallon hexagon tank

The Ich has appeared from your fish being stressed. The stress in all likely hood is from transporting and being in such a small tank. These fish need a much larger tank to thrive in. You will need to find a much larger tank and treat with selcon dips, or qarlic. Good luck. I hope you do what is necessary to help your fish. You might consider taking it back to lfs or finding a new home for it.

reeferbarra20

A Salfin tang , IN A 15 gallon? What the heck is wrong with You?

For your info a salfin tang gets to be at least 10 inches,therefore your fish will be stressed in a small tank.I suggest you take it back to your lfs and get a refund.

Yeah he's going to go belly up. You may want to place them in a QT, if you have one and try to fix the problem. But for the future dont place any kind of tangs in a tank that small.

Originally posted by reeferbarra20

A Salfin tang , IN A 15 gallon? What the heck is wrong with You?

For your info a salfin tang gets to be at least 10 inches,therefore your fish will be stressed in a small tank.I suggest you take it back to your lfs and get a refund.

Most lfs do not offer refunds due to people like him who do not do the research beforehand.

take it back, or get a bigger tank, you could treat it in a low salinity, say 1.010sg, that'd get rid of it, but he'll die in a few weeks in your tank anyway, tangs need space, lots of space, please please for the sake of the animals do some research before you buy, think about it, a ten inch fish in a fifteen gal tank? you wouldnt keep a puppy in a shoebox would you?

matt the fiddler

yea- trying not to flame those new to the hobby here. do you have a friend with a 80-120 gallon, he could stay at till you find a bigger home for it? it is liek putting a little puppy in a shoebox for the rest of it's life- they just need a lot more space.- so since we knwo the source of ick, we also have foudn the cure..

gettign a cleaner shrimp for the rest of your fish woudl help clean up any bad junk on them

Originally posted by format32

Most lfs do not offer refunds due to people like him who do not do the research beforehand.

By the way the local fish store I got it from was aware of the size of my tank.. I took him back today and thanks for all the advice from those who had something good to offer.. Find something good to say format32

flaming happens because it is obnoxious how many people don't take the five minutes necessary to research a fish before buying one. if a person has time to care for a saltwater tank, they certainly have time to research fish before buying them.

Originally posted by swebob

Mr flamer...

You cant tell me you have never wiped your !#@ and your finger slipped threw the toilet paper.. You seem to come off in all your posts and replies as someone so perfect and has never made a mistake..

And by the way the local fish store I got it from was aware of the size of my tank.. I took him back today and thanks for all the advice from those who had something good to offer.. Find something good to say format32

Ok, first off, yes I have made a little poopoo mistake like you explained in your thread. But I can tell you, it didn't stink.

And your right.... I have no tolerance for people who will not take the few extra minutes it takes to find out about a fish. I hate when people buy animals on impulse. Especially animals captured from the wild and thrown into tanks. They deserve better. Just like you deserve to get flamed for making a mistake. I can maybe understand mistakes like this when the hobby was new and access to the internet was not common. Hell, I bet the fish store probably had a book you could have browsed through that had info on the fish you "HAD TO HAVE JUST RIGHT NOW CUZ ITZ SO FIRKIN *****IN"

I have no problem helping people out in this hobby who ask for help.

"Think before you do"

I think the consensus will be that your tang is too small for the tank. Tangs are very special here at nano-reef. You blundered into a sacred-fish.

It is a truism that there is some lower limit on how small a tank can be before you stress your fish to death. I don't know how you decide exactly what size is too small. Apparently there is a formula that lets people calculate that 50g is the minimum size for a tang tank. I haven't seen this formula myself, but it is rumored to be very precise. Even without access to this formula, I'll admit that 15g seems small, intuitively.

So what is the useful advice for the disease itself? Well, when I got my tang home it immediately developed black spot, which is a lot like ich in that it's an external parasite. I put him in a distilled water dip for 2 minutes. It flopped over on it's side and looked to be asphyxiating. I thought it was a gonner for sure. Of course, freshwater is toxic to the tang, just more slowly than it's toxic to the external parasites. That did the trick. The tang recovered from that trauma in a few hours, and all the parasites were gone the next day. My tang has been parasite free for the month since and is fattening up quite nicely.

BTW, tangs will eat algae and so on, but I doubt you will have enough to keep him well fed. Lots of people feed them blanched lettuce or some such, but I'm much too lazy for that. Mine seems to be pretty happy eating the same pellet food I feed my damsel. Anyway, if you are relying on your tanks algae to feed your tang you may be starving it.

I have a 30g, and was mildly flamed for having a yellow tang in it. Partly because all the irrational and/or hypocritical concern expressed for this little fish has nonetheless pricked my cold black heart, and partly because I think I want to spread my fish load out over several smaller fish to get more variety in my tank, I am considering returning it to the LFS. They will give me small store credit for it if it's in good health, which it is. No doubt they will turn around and sell it to some guy with a 5g tank, but *my* conscience will be clean, won't it?. That's the important thing.

On the other hand, I might just fry it. I'm sure a thread on "Tangs, more tasty than cod?" would get lots of responses.

Anyway, I'm just reporting what I did, not saying it's the best, or even good, practice. Just raw data for your consideration. Your milage may vary.

Originally posted by swebob

Format32 ..That just proved what an a s s you are.....

Yes your right.

Better to be an ass than a dumbass.

By the way the local fish store I got it from was aware of the size of my tank..I took him back today

I am glad to hear they took the fish back, it happens. In the future you know not to completly trust this LFS.

Do the fish still have a few spots on them?

Archived