Pod Your Reef

Floating Sphere

Spicy Reef

Cool! I’m definitely wanting to see how it goes - wonder how long it’ll take before you have to remove the support pole? Good luck! I’ll check back later. 🙂

• Like 1
On 8/19/2021 at 7:00 AM, Spicy Reef said:

This is how I made a floating sphere...

Creative! Can’t wait to see the tank all put together and stocked!!

• Like 1
On 8/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, Spicy Reef said:

This is how I made a floating sphere...

I love the Star Destroyer and Death Star.  I might have to copy a variation of the Star Destroyer design one day, let’s see what the future holds. 🙂

• Like 2

Thanks everyone 🙂

now I find out if sinks or floats, will the support and glue hold...

U know, I've been planning this sphere for so long, I have no idea what to put on it. Could sure use some ideas...

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Spicy Reef said:

Thanks everyone 🙂

now I find out if sinks or floats, will the support and glue hold...

U know, I've been planning this sphere for so long, I have no idea what to put on it. Could sure use some ideas...

Hmm… what are your ideas? I was envisioning it as a decoration without anything attached… are you planning on mounting corals on it though?

Cyphastrea or GSP would be cool… I would lean toward cyphastrea so it would retain more of a deathstar look. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Hmm… what are your ideas? I was envisioning it as a decoration without anything attached… are you planning on mounting corals on it though?

Cyphastrea or GSP would be cool… I would lean toward cyphastrea so it would retain more of a deathstar look. 

My first thought was short GSP with one red coral... but I'm second guessing myself now.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Spicy Reef said:

My first thought was short GSP with one red coral... but I'm second guessing myself now.

Hmmm, I like that idea! That could be nice and the GSP might cover it better than cyphastrea would since it can cross the gaps better, but I’m thinking it probably would only grow on the top. Just make sure you don’t end up with a coronavirus look haha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, Murphych said:

That would definitely be appropriate for the times wouldn't it?🤣

Haha true… coronavirus delta deathstar kinda makes sense but too depressing… I prefer to look at my tanks to take my mind off stressful and depressing stuff 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, Seadragon said:

I love the Star Destroyer and Death Star.  I might have to copy a variation of the Star Destroyer design one day, let’s see what the future holds. 🙂

It looks like the future is looking bright and I may create that variation sooner than I once thought!

For anyone that has been following my journal, I’ve been living in some rough times for the past five years.  Well, I got some really good news last Friday and it looks like the storm clouds have finally been lifted from my life!

So, our plan is to buy a house early next year, to get a new IM peninsula aquarium from the get-go and for me to create the “Millennium Falcon” rock structure for my new tank that will be “flying” over the current mini arch found in the 10g that I will be transferring over.  Kind of cool my 10g mature tank will be seeding my new one!

I hope everyone is doing well and God bless!

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

It looks like the future is looking bright and I may create that variation sooner than I once thought!

For anyone that has been following my journal, I’ve been living in some rough times for the past five years.  Well, I got some really good news last Friday and it looks like the storm clouds have finally been lifted from my life!

So, our plan is to buy a house early next year, to get a new IM peninsula aquarium from the get-go and for me to create the “Millennium Falcon” rock structure for my new tank that will be “flying” over the current mini arch found in the 10g that I will be transferring over.  Kind of cool my 10g mature tank will be seeding my new one!

I hope everyone is doing well and God bless!

So glad to hear things are looking up for you. I’ll scope out your journal to check out your updates. 🤗

• Thanks 1

I had no idea a company actually makes Star Wars stuff for the aquarium…

04E24FB6-F623-4BD6-8BFF-F1D036C407A4.thumb.jpeg.0475f6e01799fb72391e1552d0fc3214.jpeg

F7BFEE81-B50D-4CCB-9295-78B4906C8377.thumb.jpeg.943caea79a062022f913997f4b561082.jpeg

The Millennium Falcon!

I’ll probably stick to aragonite rock and glue anyways. 😉

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, this is the finale of my DIY AIO competition to Fiji Cube's AIO, Mine is internal(can be modified external) and only $25 compared to $200

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been doing this a while now and I think I've nailed it when it comes to balancing cost effectiveness and zero profile lighting.

What lights are you all using for the nano's?

I have 2 aqueon "20-longs" and 1 aqueon 10gallon.I think the viparspectras will be overkill for either one of those.

Really fun DIY, but I'd be pretty cautious about removing those fans, the heatsink on black boxes (despite the viparspectra having one of the better ones) isn't sufficient to keep those LED's alive long-term without additional active-cooling. There's just not enough material or sq. ft-age.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Really fun DIY, but I'd be pretty cautious about removing those fans, the heatsink on black boxes (despite the viparspectra having one of the better ones) isn't sufficient to keep those LED's alive long-term without additional active-cooling. There's just not enough material or sq. ft-age.

Thanks! Yeah, that was my first concern when starting this project. There's an old video in there where I take the temp of the leds at different output levels, 60 - 100%, 100 ran 117 degrees if I recall... but I run these around 75% and temps are under 90 degrees definitely safe, AND mind you, the leds get hotter when in the box with the fans on, the box and the power supplies add to the temp.

As a precaution however, I do have a 220mm fan hidden in the light box above the aquarium out of sight 🙂 runs silent. 

Any thoughts on nano lighting?

Did you measure the heat at the diode itself? The aging and damage comes from the base of the diode getting hot and the cooler you keep them the better. The main reason I make that distinction is, as an example, the TDIE of a CPU can be 15-20 degrees Celsius different than the core temps. 

It really depends on the system, I'm a big fan of PAR38's by ABI and am rapidly becoming a fan of the new NiCrew Hyperreef (I have had both on smaller nanos and run both on my smaller tank now). On my larger system I have a near-decade-old, refurbished, Maxspect Razor which I'm perfectly happy-with.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2021 at 3:37 PM, Spicy Reef said:

Bubble Algae - here's a very easy to make manual removal tool, and yes, very satisfying to use.

Straw and tube 

Nice tool for the bubble algae… I’ll have to try your idea. I was so hopeful it would work for the aiptasia too… appreciated you showing it even though it didn’t work for that!

• Like 1