Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Filtration upgrade alternatives for Evo(excluding inTank)

Squ1nts

Trying to see what else I can do too improve filtration. Drives me crazy how expensive the best option is so until then..😅

Right now I have stock media balls in bottom and a chemipure elite in the middle of the sponge 

Bigals-nano-1

Get yourself some egg crate and make a diy basket. The stock sponge is useless and just a nitrate factory. In my basket which is in chamber 2 because I run the protein Skimmer in chamber 1, I have filter floss on the top, carbon on the middle shelf and bio max on the bottom. I change the carbon roughly every 3weeks and the bio max will need replaced about every 6 months. I would also recommend swapping the stock pump for something with a bit more power and blocking off the small hole on the wall in chamber 2. 

• Like 1

I have  a DIY media basket in my first chamber with the protein skimmer attachment flipped to the inside of the first chamber so that it water falls into some filter floss. This has kept my water really clear. I run chemipure blue in the second chamber and a box of marine pure media gems in the second chamber as well. I also have a bag of purigen in the first chamber. I upgraded my stock pump to a Sicce syncra Silent 1.0 and improved flow a lot. I really recommend the pump upgrade. and for the return nozzle I have some loc line with a 1/2 Random Flow Generator from VCA. 

7 hours ago, reefer_evo5 said:

I have  a DIY media basket in my first chamber with the protein skimmer attachment flipped to the inside of the first chamber so that it water falls into some filter floss. This has kept my water really clear. I run chemipure blue in the second chamber and a box of marine pure media gems in the second chamber as well. I also have a bag of purigen in the first chamber. I upgraded my stock pump to a Sicce syncra Silent 1.0 and improved flow a lot. I really recommend the pump upgrade. and for the return nozzle I have some loc line with a 1/2 Random Flow Generator from VCA. 

You have a picture of your protein skimmer attachment? 

I have the InTank media basket in chamber 1 and in chamber 2 i just started an algae scrubber.  I have had difficulty getting the skimmer to work properly in the second chamber.

If anyone is interested in an algae scrubber in chamber 2, read this post:

11 hours ago, reefer_evo5 said:

Any issues with the pump chamber running low with the upgrade? My 3rd chamber is half empty with a completely stock setup 

Bigals-nano-1
3 hours ago, Squ1nts said:

Any issues with the pump chamber running low with the upgrade? My 3rd chamber is half empty with a completely stock setup 

Chamber 3 is where I notice the evaporation the most and have to top it off with about 300ml of rodi water most days. Once the display is at the correct level I fill chamber 3 until it is about 1” below the main level with all the pumps etc on.